on 23 February 2016
The first time I heard Justin Hayward sing was shortly after Jeff Wayne released the vinyl double record set of the musical version of “War of the Worlds”. I heard him song “Forever Autumn” on the radio, not only did I love the song I loved his voice and the emotion he put in the song.

For many years that’s the “Forever Autumn” was the only song I had of his.

So one day I was looking on Amazon and bought a couple of his albums, this was the first I bought, (and I also bought a couple of the Moody Blue albums).

If you’ve never heard of Justin Hayward is then “Classic Blue” is a great album to start with. This album was originally recorded in 1989, (and re-released in 2005). Justin also works with the Mike Batt, (composer and producer) on this album.

The CD booklet has a couple of still photos included and there are two articles in the booklet, the first by Paul Lester and the second by Mike Batt.

If you were to ask me if I’d a favourite, I’d have to say yes. It’s the entire CD. :-)

I find this CD very relaxing and I’m glad it’s in my collection. :-)
on 25 June 2017
I'm afraid I didnt like this much. A couple of the songs are ok but the majority just sound dopey. I'm a big Moodies and related fan but this is just sappy. Justin doesnt seem to be putting very much effort in, his singing is a bit flat and lifeless on a lot of the songs and the orchestral arrangements are just boring and predictable. I was looking forward to it but it just doesnt work for me. Stairway to Heaven was pretty good until the choirs at the end which spoiled it. Only my opinion of course but I wish I hadnt bothered with this one.
on 28 July 2017
After listening to Jeff Wayne's War of the World's fabulous musical version of the H G Wells story I was struck by one of the songs Forever Autumn.

I bought this record for that one song and found a collection of songs which has now given me so much pleasure.
There seem to be two versions of this album - the original Castle Communications release and a new repackage. I own the former, which has the usual poor Castle Communications artwork, but can be found on Amazon for a few pence. I would imagine the new release is sonically a better quality master. That said, the version I own is also of excellent sound quality.

Now to the album - anyone who knows the Moody Blues will realise that Justin Hayward has a beautiful, rich voice. This is put to great effect on a series of 13 cover versions chosen by Justin and Mike Batt. Backed by an 80 piece orchestra, they do real justice to a set of genuine classics, including 'Stairway to Heaven' and Batt's 'Bright Eyes'. The music is tender and gentle when required and utterly rousing and uplifting at the right times. The orchestration is superb and the musicianship exemplary.

This is a top rate album which I cannot stop playing at the moment - just brilliant!
on 20 July 2016
When Jeff Wayne chose Justin Hayward to record Forever Autumn, his choice of singer was "The guy who sang Nights in White Satin".

Justin Hayward is surely one of the classiest singers in the history of pop/rock music.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
WHAT can I say nuffin' really 'cept this is a great CD done by a great guy, and composer Mike Batt... reason for only 4 stars, well 2 of the songs do tend to linger a bit too long... (in other words tend to go on a bit)... But apart from that, GREAT, love it!!
on 16 January 2015
a very good album from Justin Hayward.Most of the tracks were 1st class.The recording on some of the tracks come over with his voice a bit distant to the orchestra,which is a shame.But overall a very enjoyable and different from his other offerings
on 28 September 2013
I won't say there aren't dud tracks there are three, but they are sadly Mike Batt's own compositions and Blackbird - The others, given how much I paid for it are superb, the best 1p I have spent (+£1.26 postage and packaging) MacArthur Park especially not quite Richard Harris but right up there.
on 15 May 2013
Justin plays other artists hits ? bit of a strange collection of songs i'm not sure I like the choice of material to be fair Stairway to Heaven maybe a step too far . Some of the tracks here are ok but I am not recommending this cd to any moody blues fan as it's a bit to far left of centre for my liking,
on 29 July 2017
wonderful CD love the choice of songs