Customer reviews

Gentleman Jim
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 10 April 2015
I have been waiting for the release of the original "Gentleman Jim" album since the CDs first came on the market, and have never understood why this very big selling album, which reached no 2 in the UK album charts on original release (before Jim Reeves death) and was continually available on vinyl for almost twenty years. The recordings on this album are amongst his finest, and the album has a warm cohesive feel. Having noticed that this CD was released by Sony, who now own the RCA catalogue, I was hoping that at long last we would have a quality release of this album, unlike the proliferation of public domain releases on unheard of labels of his pre 1963 releases, that are for the most part of inferior quality - sometimes dubbed from worn out vinyl. Imagine my disgust, when I open this "Sony" release, only to find that it is a CD-r. Furthermore, the photo on the cover is overly dark, the writing on the spine is out of alignment, and the whole product feels cheap and homemade - yet it still has Sony's logo plastered everywhere, and even an email address for the purchase of other Sony/RCA Legacy products. Worse still - the CD-r skips when played, no matter which CD player I play it on. I feel so insulted that a major company feels they can palm off such an inferior product, and it is a real slap in the face to the many fans of this artist, and further tarnishes the memory of Jim Reeves.
9 people found this helpful
on 17 April 2015
This is a beautiful cd but then i havnt come across a bad one yet i love jim reeves
One person found this helpful
on 11 January 2016
Always loved this album. Now finally on CD. A must for any Jim Reeves fan.
on 5 January 2015
one of the greastest country singers, died far to soon.
on 5 January 2016
Five Stars
on 27 October 2012
I (and I'm sure there must be others) have been looking for years for a CD containing all of the Abbott Recordings. I will never be able to afford the Bear Family set and am not sure that I would want it anyway as these and the early RCA recordings are the Jim Reeves music I prefer. I think the issue must be losing out on sales in not having been marketed as the Abbott Records collection. If you like 50s country and the real country (not the Nashville Sound) Jim Reeves, buy this.
on 28 February 2013
great music I have had jim reeves for a while now as my dad had them and I got into it.
on 26 February 2013
This cd must be copy of the Vinyl LP that came out around 1963..it has all the great tracks on it, the same as my LP...it's a Sony release as viewed on the back cd cover.
One of the Best Jim Reeves LP now on cd....If I'm correct...
on 6 December 2007
This compilation is all live recordings and there is no indication of this fact anywhere in the information or on the CD itself. The quality of the recording is not good because it is recorded live about 46 years ago. Nothing to do with the quality of the artist because they don't come any higher quality than Jim Reeves.
16 people found this helpful