Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 25 November 2004
In my record collection, I have an old vinyl LP of the soundtrack of the film Carousel.I never thought the recording was very good, even though I love the songs. However, this new remastered CD is really first class, giving a new feel to the songs, plus extra music not available on the old version. If yiu have fond memories of the film, this is the recording to buy.
Time magazine, in its millenium edition, chose 'Carousel' as the greatest of all 20th-century musicals. Just a week ago, BBC Radio 3's CD Review reviewed all available versions on CD and Edmund Seckerson, the reviewer, named it as, for him, the greatest of all musicals. I'm with 'Time' and the BBC. This was the version that Seckerson chose as best buy. Its great virtues incuding excellent recording, very good orchestral playing and management (by the legendary Albert Newman), the Mr Snow of Robert Rounseville, who was the original Tom Rakewell in Stravinsky's 'Rake's Progress' and the original Candide in Bernstein's 'Candide', excellent contributions by Barbara Ruick (Carrie Pipperidge) and Claramae Turner (Cousin Nettie) and above all the glorious innocence of Shirley Jones as Julie and the expressive beauty of the voice of Gordon Macrae, the film's Billy Bigelow. Now in this expanded version - there is an earlier issue which offers a more limited selection - we have all the musical numbers and the two ballets, the second of which is truly beautiful (and in the film supports the extraordinary dancing of Jacques d'Amboise of New York City Ballet). The artistic values are uniquely high here and this is a most treasurable CD.
on 21 January 2002
Listening to this was a wonderful experience.
The recording is bright and clear and for the first time includes all the music. It makes you realise just what a cracker Rodgers and Hammerstein came up with.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 January 2016
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

Bought this in America whilst on holiday on 1993 as this version soundtrack hadn’t been released in the UK at that particular time.

The booklet you get contains a long article about the musical which is very interesting and they also include some lovely still photos from the film. :-)

The composers the late and great Richard Rodgers with lyrics by late and great Oscar Hammerstein II.

These two are my favourite composers for musicals, (have been since the early 1970’s). :-)

They’ve written some lovely melodies for this film. :-)

It’s fantastic to hear the cast of the movie, not only were they great actors they also did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

This soundtrack has songs that was previously not released on the original film version of the soundtrack as they had been cut from the film.

If you were to ask me did I have a favourite, I’d have to say yes, it’s the entire soundtrack. :-)

I can highly recommend this CD to the fans of the film and anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
on 25 December 2014
This is a much better recording than the cheap one from Hallmark (see my review of 14/12/14). The remastered stereo and extended CD recording is good value for money. It is interesting to compare the " Main Title" opening track with the "bonus" LP recording of the original Overture on the last track. I recommend anyone who wants a copy of the film soundtrack to buy this one. 25/12/14
on 10 February 2009
Carousel
This was my first ever LP purchased when I was Sixteen. Over the years I have had a number of copies but this latest restored version is as good as I remember the original 8 channel stereo soundtrack in the cinema
on 5 February 2012
If you are reading this and you know the soundtrack to this timeless musical you know what's in-store for you on the cd. If you have never listened to Carousel there is only one thing you need to do BUY THIS CD!
on 29 July 2013
The first LP record I ever bought was the film soundtrack of CAROUSEL many years ago and it gave great pleasure over the years. So pleased that this has been re-released with extended and new numbers, in particular the dance sequence to "June is bustin'out all over" a number to get the feet tapping if ever there was. It also now includes the ballet sequence and the Introduction and Main Title. Well done to Angel Records who have given this treatment to several other musicals.
on 8 March 2017
I haven't listened to this yet as my husband is a Hi-Fi boffin, and he puts all new cd's into the fridge first, then freezes them for a couple of days, and then puts them back into the fridge again, so that they don't defrost too quickly - I know that sounds crazy, but it really works at giving a better, smoother sound. Oh, and then he carefully goes around the edge of the cd with a green highlighter pen, which is something to do with cutting down unwanted reflections (I think)! Anyway, the package with the cd in it was exactly on time, and looked totally undamaged. I am so looking forward to actually listening to it.
on 19 July 2013
Love all of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Works. Had them all on tape, but sadly they have started to fall to pieces. My violin needs some help RGN