• Kala
  • Customer reviews

Kala
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 April 2017
I found this album overwhelming - so many different musical influences all rolled in. It doesn't work for me. Where is it going exactly? There's too much what sounds like experimentation, with very little finished product. Except perhaps 'Jimmy' and of course 'Paper Planes' which just superb. I'm not doubting that other reviewers consider this album genius, it's just that I don't get it.
on 1 May 2014
Famously feisty (the superbowl incident is just one example), the back story to this album is as interesting as the artist herself. I won't go into it (my review is about the music), and I want to tell you that, as a dance album, it offers something completely imaginative.
It provides eastern asian music with a dance sensibility and rhythm and a lot of firepower (plus some grrl power). The music just explodes in some places and the hooks here are catchy (you'll hum paper planes all day once hearing it).
Who would like this? Dance music fans who want something different than the Ibiza club sound and Diplo fans would like this too (he's on production duty here...)
on 15 May 2014
After Arular, this album takes MIA to another level of awesomeness. My fav MIA album to date (2014), this has got a great hip-hop feel throughout, but also draws massive influences from African and Indian music to good effect. It has the hit single 'Paper Planes' but the rest of the album maintains the standard well, which is rare for albums these days.
on 19 February 2017
Excellent cd love listening to this
on 27 July 2017
Loved it
on 13 March 2016
Very good
on 14 April 2016
Thanks
on 19 May 2009
I ummed and ahhed about buying this cd for months and I have to say now that I own it I can't listen to it often enough. Don't do what I did and waste valuable listening time reading any more reviews. Just buy it! You WILL LOVE it!
on 6 February 2010
Yus I bought this cd because I heard the Paper Planes song and then meticulously searched for the artist through the internet. I DID read the reviews on Amazon before buying but decided to take the risk. I agree with the lower rating. I still love Paper Planes - but why is the rest of the cd so THIN while that track is so RICH? Like the low reviewer I can say I gave the cd a good chance and have listened to it often - but at the end of the dsy the music does not develop, despite heving the potential to, and the lyrics - for a character who portrays herself as some sort of third world freedom fighter - ironic or sincere - are often often sub girl band banal. Save your money.
on 5 January 2009
It's not often that i can embrace an album of such diversity as this so whole-heartedly as i have come to do with this,M.I.A's second album,Kala.
I did enjoy her first album,Arular,but felt it sounded a little forced and slightly over-worked (i do still enjoy most of the tracks on it though and would rate that as a four star album).
'Kala' however is a real step up to a completely different level of quality,not better,just more precise,fresher and less laboured,like the whole thing came together as a singular,solid and perfect explosion which was recorded within a week of it's mental conception.
It's a furious and volatile album,thumping beats and crackling distortion with chanting,surreal vocals and a smart,savvy and sparkling production.Intelligent lyrics are well placed in the mix and used to full effect and it makes you want to figure it out more giving the album longevity,i mean,let's face it,she never wanted to be a member of Girl's Aloud,and the lack of bubblegum 'fluff' here is apparent,hence why i feel she included 'Jimmy' as a little respite.
Listen to the intro of 'World Town' and how the programmed beats are so thick and heavy that they punctuate the rest of the music,stopping it,distorting it for a brief second...if this was intentional (and i'm guessing,rather hoping,it was/is),then what a sheer touch of genius...and this album is jam packed with moments like that!!
This style of music may not be your 'bag' but believe me,it isn't,or rather wasn't,mine either....i just know quality when i hear it,and these days,with 'da bling merchants',x-factor and puppets like girl/boy bands....it's time we doffed our caps to the talent that does abound out there,if you only look a little deeper (and had a little more self-respect than to follow the sheep!!!)
Excellent,excellent stuff....