Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.28

This authors first novel was spellbinding. I highly reccommend this book to anyone that like thrillers, or stories about police work and ciminals. We follow one police officer through his investigation of what starts out to be one murder, but soon appears to be several murders that are in some way connected, but what way? Following the investigation, the officer discoveres that two of them had a definant connection, which made him persue that somewhere, they were all connected. He has help, one officer from another county, a woman whom he becomes involved with in a personal manner as well as professional, and several male officers from his own precinct. He is under pressure to solve the crimes. We follow from the beginning to the end of his investigation, and have a little surprise in store near the end. The characters were strong willed. The story moved along smoothly .... Fantastic story ! Lets have another one Mr. Friedman!
on 16 December 2012
Nice fast paced story line.
Brings the people to life, with good descriptions.
More than happy to read more by the author.

Really got to love these free books. This was good enough to have been paid for.
on 2 December 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Not a complex plot by any means but the two law officers searching for common denominator in a series of murders keeps the book rattling along at a good pace. Good development of characters makes me want to read more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 July 2013
The author could do to write a better blurb for this book. Although I downloaded the book several months ago I didn't read it as I was rather put off by the author's description of it, which is a shame as once I did start to read it I found it rather good.
The first chapter is somewhat strange in both style and positioning. We get a description of a murder and the lacklustre investigation which is all too quickly shelved and then don't hear about it again for a very long time, even when the bodies are piling up on top of each other. It seems strange that the murder which seems important enough to open the book with is then relegated to a position of being just one more.
Once I got past that first chapter however, the story really began to pick up and kept up the pace. It wasn't a taxing read but provided diversion and a pleasant way to spend a sunny day. Yes there are some plot devices which herald their arrival with a klaxon - it is obvious which cop won't survive the book, and it is his own fault - but on the whole it keeps us on our toes. One reviewer told complains that we find out who the killer is in the first chapter and that it spoils the suspense but I don't understand this. The victim recognises the face of the killer seconds before he dies but we are not told who it is. Even when, halfway through, we are told who he is and what his alias is, it doesn't alter the fact that the police don't know and can't predict his next moves. Even when the police do know, nothing is straightforward. Suspense is about so much more than who the perpetrator is, - will the police work out who it is, will they do it in time to prevent it happening again, are they considering the right people? All questions which need to be asked.
As I said in the beginning, I started out by not expecting much from this book, but it turned out to be a good read and I would recommend it. By the way the irony of the fact that I was reading this book on 7/7 is not lost on me, but to understand that comment you will have to read the book.
on 12 December 2012
Really really didn't like it, and I am a fan of crime novels and detective tv shows.
I felt the story line COULD have been good, but finding out who the killer was at the beginning ruined any suspense.
Also, the characters aren't likeable, or particularly believable. We don't really understand the killer and his motives, lots of parts of his past are mentioned but not explored.
Even the grammar of this book isn't quite right, some of the sentences aren't formed properly.
All in all, what can you really expect from a free book?
on 20 June 2014
A well-written, albeit run-of-the-mill, serial killer pursuit by a pair of cops. It becomes harder and harder for an author to break fresh ground, especially in the cops and robbers (killers) field: we've seen it done a hundred times on telly. So, this is nothing new.
Nevertheless, this is a decent read that moves along nicely, drawing the investigative threads together and developing the romantic relationship. I guess we will expect to see this pair working together again in a later book; the characters, although lacking depth, are well-drawn and believable.
The late car crash is a bit of a coincidence and the ending predictable but overall the whole book is enjoyable.
Edits: It is not possible for the hearer to get ringing in the ears when someone slams the phone down - all you get is a broken connection whether it's slammed or placed.
Very few typos eg “For the ingst four minutes...” and “Montovani”.
on 16 April 2013
This is a police thriller. It's got some romance, it's got tension, it's got a cast of believable characters and a believable plot. One thing it isn't is earth shattering, mind blowing, save the world high octane thrill a minute action. Oh there's a fair smattering of action, but in a believable scenario. What this book does is draw you in. The story is such that the reader wants to know what happens next. Will they find the killer? Will the two main characters' love blossom? Will the next victim be saved?

The one thing about this book is that it keeps you wanting to read more. Quite how that's done isn't easy to see. The obvious answer is that it is so well written. The balance between moving the story along and developing the characters is right. The ending is tense and could go either way, but it doesn't deteriorate into farce. The characters act in a sane (killer apart) way with which we can identify. Even the sniggering lazy unenthusiastic detective is someone we've all met.

There are many similar books. Does this stand out amongst them? Possibly not. But at the same time is a very good example of the genre. A very enjoyable read, which I would recommend.
on 12 July 2013
Set in mid-1980’s Ohio, ‘Dead End’ is a fairly run of the mill crime thriller about the hunt for a serial killer. None of the main characters are particularly original, but neither are they familiar stereotypes (the lead detective may be a divorcee, but he doesn’t also have a drink problem!). For someone looking for an easy to read, reasonably exciting crime thriller, ‘Dead End’ ticks all the right boxes without being especially memorable. I was uncertain whether to allocate it a 3 star or a 4 star rating, but as I had bought this book as a free download, it seemed rather churlish to give the former. There’s nothing really to dislike about this book, so I would recommend it.
on 2 January 2016
This one came up to my expected standards! So thank you Barry Friedman, racing along at a pace that kept me wanting to keep reading. Excellent plot as a new reader to your novels I shall be looking for more. Thank goodness for Kipling apps c
A very good crime novel, which was well written with believable characters, a great plot and the ring of authenticity.

I don't give spoilers but will say that this story will keep readers engrossed and for those who love a murder mystery /police drama this is definitely for you.