on 1 June 2009
'Do I need this'? is the question you need to ask. The Mark II and the 24-104 lens plus a flash (a combination many people will be using) are pretty hefty together. Adding a battery grip: you've some serious weight to carry around all day at a wedding/event. I had actually resigned myself to buying one of these anyway until I realised how good the new batteries are. You can shoot for most of the day without having to worry at all about running out, and one change at some point during the day is more than enough for anyone. (I've done several weddings on one battery easily). Okay, the camera doesn't look as chunky and threatening as with the battery pack but I can live with that. Overall, your money could be more wisely spent somewhere else.
77 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2009
This grip is a very useful add-on to the 5D mkII. The main benefit, for me, is that it provides another set of buttons to use when shooting in vertical format so that you can hold the camera more comfortably. In addition it provides more battery options, i.e. ability to load two batteries or to use AA cells (in emergencies perhaps). The grip is very well made, and attaches to the camera solidy despite using just the one screw to do so. The only issue I'd raise is that it is quite wide and fairly square in profile, so people with smaller hands might not find it the most comfortable thing to hold.
on 22 December 2009
Typical Canon product. Well made, includes environmental seals to keep dust at bay and allows proper control with the additional set of buttons for shooting in vertical mode. Yes it is expensive, but then it is an OEM product so you pay for the name. As has been said, it does add considerably to the weight and so those with smaller hands or who have trouble handling the weight of the camera+lens combo should bear this in mind as you will have an extra 400g or so to add with two batteries installed. If you are walking around all day with it around your neck I would also recommend getting a wide neoprene strap to spread the load and absorb shocks better than the Canon OEM 5D MkII strap.
on 7 October 2010
As with the title to my review, you have to ask yourself if the practicality offered by the batter grip is worth the price.

The answer would be, if it were cheaper, an absolute yes. However, it is priced too high and this is what will stop many with the outlay.

In photo shoots where you regularly turn to and fro portrait orientation, it is a great benefit having the grip fitted. Since I bought the grip it has never once been removed from my camera.

The only thing that annoys me is the tripod mounting bracket sitting where your palm rests in portrait orientation, but this is a very minor complaint and clearly when not using the tripod the bracket is off.

The extra battery life for me is irrelevant, as changing a battery is such a minor operation. The real benefits are handling, balance and the ease with which you can shoot in portrait, which I do a lot.

In summary: if you shoot in portrait often, get the grip. If not, then you don't really need it (just buy a second battery for £50).
on 2 May 2010
A robust and useful if somewhat expensive addition to the Canon Eos 5D Mk 11.

It adds to the cameras bulk but does give confidence that you are able to hold the camera comfortably for long periods of time. It is easy to add or take off the camera and comes with a useful additional tray that allows AAA batteries to drive the camera for emergency situations. It is fine for me as I have large mits but I would not recommend it for anyone who already feels the Canon is a handful.
on 20 January 2013
Most of my photographs are taken in portrait format, and having had a grip like this for a previous camera I wanted one for the 5D MKII, but I was determined not to get a cheap Chinese knock off version.

I waited until the price had come down to the point where I could afford it, and I'm pleased I did.

I only use it with one battery, and it makes the camera much easier to handle.

An added bonus is the adapter so that you can use AA cells in an emergency if your lithium battery goes flat.
on 22 December 2011
Ok - so there are a lot of people that debate the need for a battery grip - I wanted one so that I could use a wrist strap, could have longer battery life (ok - it's already not bad but why run out if you don't have to) and for the portrait controls. I previously tried and returned a non CANON original grip - it was flimsy - it bent and felt like it could snap off with the weight of the heavy 5DII body and 24-105 L lens - so I was a little dubious until I dug out my old 20D with CANON original grip - felt bomb proof - so I went for it, and can honestly say I am really pleased with it - it fits the camera so much better than the cheap copy, and is SOLID as a rock - no movement or flexing at all - it's just great!
on 4 May 2010
As a Pro photographer I find this kind of kit is always so much money for so little technology! It's a rip-off, but I like the comfort of it, so you've gotta do what you gotta do! If you are thinking twice about it, don't bother with it! Get another little lens instead!
on 19 February 2012
Canon Battery Grip BG-E6 for EOS 5D Mk II. I love big chunky camera's and the Canon Battery Grip BG-E6 for EOS 5D Mk II makes it even better. Back to the point why I bought this expensive piece of kit, I do a lot of time lapse photography and having the 2 battery set up give me loads of battery power. Build quality brilliant as you come to expect with Canon products. The down side a little expensive and the camera, camera grip with 2 batteries and lens is one heavy mother. But most of the time I use a tripod.
on 26 June 2011
I am a professional portrait/wedding and event photographer, I generally always buy a camera with a grip.

I personally can not do without it, try holding the camera in a studio for 8 hours without a grip! It adds stability and allows you to work in a more comfortable position.