Size: 77 mm|Change

on 5 November 2010
Hi , compared to the cheapo filter I had on before this is an absolute pleasure.
Removing the cheapo one felt like the filter and lens were threaded stiff and gritty !
Putting the Hoya on was like a hot knife through butter so smoooth . The case it comes in is a thing of beauty and ergonomic design .
Trying the cheapo again confirmed it was the filter and nothing to do with the lens .
Perfect faultless focusing , sharp contrasty pictures , and hopefully mega good protection but I will not be knocking scraping or dirtying the filter on purpose to test its advertised extra strength and resilience !!!!!!!

Nikon D300 + 18mm to 200mm
Just get one
Michael
BRYHER
on 12 March 2012
This top of the range Hoya protection/UV filter is very good indeed. It did not mark at all during a recent 2 week walking holiday, when I used the camera to take about 600 pictures using the same lens every day - despite some rain, dust and accidental finger touches. It even survived an accidental slip against some rocks whilst photographing a flower at close range! It pays to buy the best, and Amazon filter prices make them the only place to buy them.
on 25 November 2014
Purchased because I could not justify the cost of the B+W equivalent, The Hoya HD range is of very good optical quality, of which I have several. I believe in using these filters to protect the front element and Canon also states that many of its "L" lenses require a front filter to weather-resistance on the front element.
on 17 November 2009
It's a Hoya filter so very well made and in a very thin mounting frame (good for wide angle lenses). I have this mounted on the front of a Canon HF-S11 video camera to keep the dust out and protect the camera's optics. A number of manufacturers now make cameras without proper lens caps and with just a plastic eyelid shutter so I wanted something a lot better to keep harmful debris out of the camera itself. This filter fills that role and is itself protected by an additional Canon EOS lens cap bought as a spare. Hopefully when travelling in the tropics is will reduce the condensation inside the camera caused by high humidity when moving from air conditioned rooms to the outside world!! Note that the 'HD' means Heavy Duty and not High Definition. This is a filter designed to take a knock or two without breaking or scratching.
on 18 February 2016
Received this today, for my new Nikon P900. It happened to be a bright day, with sun pouring through the window. When viewing this 'HD Digital filter', it was immediately obvious that 'speckling' of the coatings was present on both sides of the filter lens. At first I thought it was dust. No, it wasn't: it was irremovable defects in the glass coatings inside and out.

Shame on you, Hoya, for charging 'top dog' prices, and proving such a defected product for a high-end Nikon camera.

If only Nikon themselves made a 67mm UV filter for the P900, but as far as I can see - they don't.

In any event, don't buy this rubbish standard expensive filter. Mine is on its way back to Amazon, today.
on 18 October 2012
I have all my lenses protected by this type of filter. The surface of the filter is excellent and looks to be very neutral in terms of optical effects. By this I mean that it is almost impossible to detect the glass in the frame.

The ring of the filter is nice and slim and is never a problem on my 16-35mm f2.8 Canon L lens.

The surface is easy to clean and only really needs a quick puff from a Giottos rocket blower to clear the dust. Get one of these if you don't have one already.
on 13 January 2014
Great protection for camera lens, however I have a worry on the durability. I use this with a Lee filter set and have to unscrew and rescrew on the Lee adaptor. Over a couple of months the thread now seems to be slipping. I can still use the filters, but worry that over a longer period the screw thread is not fit for routine use.
Otherwise a great filter for the price.
on 26 May 2014
Having previously purchased the Hoya Pro 1 series filters which I have been happy with, I thought I would 'upgrade' to the Hoya HD filter. Big mistake, the filter was of poor quality and basically unusable due to the filter coating having 'spots' visible straight out of the box when held up to a light. Returned for refund and have re-ordered a Hoya Pro 1 filter as a replacement which Amazon are now taking ages to dispatch. Poor service all round this time!
on 13 November 2012
The quality of this filter is superb and produces excellent images with no trace of reflection or refraction. It is every bit as easy to clean as they claim.

The parcel arrived well ahead of the estimated date and was well packaged.

A good service.
Let's face it there are a multitude of 77 mm protective filters on the market. It can be difficult to choose the right one . In the past I have used Pro-1 filter from Hoya like another reviewer. I found it's build quality sadly lacking and so I wasn't going to buy a second one. The problem was basically that the filter glass didn't fit well inside the filter ring it was slightly loose. I was hesitant about buying this version because I thought also its quality might be substandard. I took the plunge because of the largely positive reviews on Amazon.

I'm very happy with both the quality of the glass and the quality of the fit the glass and the filter ring, however I did find that it took me a couple of tries to get it on my Sony SAL2470Z Alpha 24-70mm F2.8 Carl Zeiss Wide Angle Zoom Lens. It appears that the pitch of the filter threads is quite narrow although the fit is absolutely fine and the lens cap fits very well on the front of the filter and there's no vignetting.

It's amazing when you look at the performance of the coating on the filter as this is where reflections going to die, which is a good thing!