Customer reviews

Size: 67 mm|Change

on 19 July 2017
Nicely built, a bit pricey though. Four stars to see how the coating etc goes after usage.
on 28 June 2017
Excellent product, slim and easy to fit to lens, the images so far have been excellent and meet my expectations
on 27 July 2017
super filter
on 14 August 2017
just as described. delivery excellent
on 12 May 2015
Expensive but worth it.
on 28 April 2017
Great quality polar filter.
on 9 December 2010
I bought this filter mainly because of good light transmission and anti-scratch resistance. Prior to purchase I was wondering how the plastic screwthread would work on my existing metallic B+W UV filter. It screws on fine and I don't see vignetting when using both together on a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle lens.
Due quite possibly to my ignorance that the following may apply to polarisers more generrally, I was frustrated intially that, having screwed the filter on, I couldn't get it off again. I discovered by chance that if you merely rotate the polariser anti-clockwise, the main thread suddenly frees up.
on 18 April 2012
Having read loads of reviews on various websites I finally decided on this model of polarising filter. Although relatively expensive it is likely to be used a lot - in fact as most of my work is outdoors it is attached almost permanently to the lens, to be removed if NOT required, rather than an 'extra' added if required. Of course the amount of 'effect' can be adjusted by simply rotating the filter, using the white arrow marker on the edge as a guide. It is thin and light enough to be unobtrusive, with no noticeable vignetting. It is claimed to be dirt and scratch resistant, although I have not tested this! The main plus points are that it can provide the right amount of effect (not 'over the top' artificial-looking results) with minimal reduction in light transmission, which means you do not have to reduce the shutter speed too much, and so far I have not noticed any colour cast which some PL filters seem to add. Used with a Canon EOS 7D with 15-85 lens.
on 24 June 2015
I bought this filter on the strength of a review from Ken Rockwell,a well known if controversial figure in the photographic world.

It seems a bit strange to get excited about a relatively simple thing like a filter but this is simply an indispensable accessory for any photographer.

On opening the packaging the first thing I noticed is how thin and how lightweight this filter is in comparison to what I considered to be the Gold standard in Polariser filters the B+W Kasseman grained offering. Kasseman grained Polarisers are extremely tough and are meant to survive temperature extremes which would affect lesser types. They are also near perfection optically. According to Leica ALL filters very slightly degrade image quality and the more expensive the filter the less the degradation will be. Hoya have designed these latest HD filters for extreme conditions. They are made out a harder glass than usual allowing them to be extremely thin. They are also multi coated for maximum light transmission and that coating includes a scratch and water resistant layer increasing the durability. The actual polariser is also much more efficient than standard types only losing just over 1 stop of light as opposed to others losing two stops of light.

In practice I found this filter to be outstanding. The polarisation effect was excellent,more so than any other I've used. It also does exactly what is advertised. In fact I am considering purchasing a 72mm version for my Canon EF 200mm f 2.8 L lens.

If you're looking for an outstanding filter look no further.

Buy and use with total confidence.
on 1 November 2011
I have a 5D MKII and use this on a 17-40mm and there's no vignetting, even at 17mm. Awesome build quality and stunning results.