on 24 May 2009
Okay, I fess up: I'm a PKD nut. I have all his published works (except the elusive volumes of letters), I also have many biographical and critical pieces, and I've seen a number of TV documentaries about the man and his writing, including the excellent PKD: A Day in the Afterlife (Arena, BBC, 1994). So I came to this documentary without expectations. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised. Although I didn't learn anything of significance that I didn't already know I did enjoy the personal incites offered by the interviewees presented here, some of whom have not appeared in the other documentaries I've seen. There are some wonderful anecdotes here; small stories about the man which don't feature in the biographies I've read. Also, given that film footage of PKD is extremely rare, it's worth watching this just for the clips of his 1977 Metz speech; I would have liked the entire speech to be included, perhaps as a DVD extra.

This is more of a personal study of the man than of his work, which is dealt with in a fairly perfunctory manner. But that's fine, because he was a fascinating person as well as an intriguing writer. This well-produced documentary is a must-have for all PKD-heads.