on 4 May 2012
I spent a while looking at the options for this type of software. Reading previous reviews, I went for this package. The price was excellent and it seemed to be favored by quite a few users.

However! When finally I got to use it... I came across a bug that reverted the plan several stages after saving (saving for a second time in the same session instance). The fix is to close the application, load it up again and pick up where you left off. You have to do this each time you saved for a second time.

I posted a response on the support forum, but had nothing back. Another person had the same problem - but the solution seemed to delete some of the design and start over... That's not a solution in my book.

The usability is suspect - creating wall lengths and positioning was just way too time consuming and quickly becomes frustrating. Surely it can be that difficult to draw a line and move it!

I had to give this up. Life is too short to use bad language at a laptop in the late evenings. So I bought Home Designer Architectural 2012 Chief Architect Architectural Designer 2012 (PC). I pretty much did the full house plan with this in the time it took me to do half the ground floor in Grand Design 3D (before the bug kicked in).

Home Designer Architectural is more expensive, but worth it! Sorry, Grand Design 3D - software I can't use at all has to get is 1 star.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 July 2014
This software program's licence applies to one installation only - in other words, if you are unlucky enough, like me, to have to replace your computer you will not be able to reinstall it on your new computer. I tried to reactivate my copy on my new computer online but then realised in order to transfer the licence I had to deactivate my previous installation. As my old computer won't boot I can't do this. I attempted to deactivate it online but the process is extremely complicated and counter-intuitive - perhaps there is a way, but I certainly couldn't find it. I attempted to phone tech support for the product but the telephone number quoted on the website was not recognised! To sum up - do not buy this product - it's one almighty con.
One person found this helpful
on 8 March 2012
I'm pretty good at working out how to use software and get going generally, but this one is way too complicated. It does look like its set up for a pro, or someone who has some experience of using this software. To me its not intuitive, I'm a total rookie at house planning and seriously thought I could get somewhere with a property that i want to buy and modernise - but sadly this is not going to work. If anyone can help please drop me an email at anandizhereok@gmail.com, i would be glad to learn and use this now that I have opened the packaging. Thanks:)
One person found this helpful
on 22 August 2013
Most of the features that you would expect from a package like this are missing: for example after you place any object in your drawing and you click or double click on it you would expect that it will enable you to modify it, for instance its size, instead once you place your object that's it. When you are drawing your walls there is no easy way to modify or delete part of it other than going on the edit menu and undo.
This program is based on imperial measurement and cannot work with metric. A real disappointment.
on 3 September 2016
When I purchased this item and tryed to download it didn't download I emailed the vendor but have not received a reply. I have since found out that it is old program and is for a single user and that I cannot obtain a licence for the product so the item is completely useless.
on 12 December 2014
works great
on 27 November 2012
I PREVIOUSLY USED 3D REAL HOMES BUT HAD TO CHANGE WHEN I UPGRADED MY COMPUTER, I READ REVIEWS AND CHOOSE THIS, IT IS SO COMPLICATED TO USE I HAVE GIVEN UP & I WOULD CONSIDER MYSELF QUITE COMPUTER LITERATE. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYDAY USERS.
on 17 January 2013
A good product for someone learning about design very helpfull and informitive my nephew will be able to study this item at school
on 21 May 2009
The positives; this software has a great range of features and allows you to create an almost limitless range of designs. It's cheap, compared to professional CAD programmes, and you can be up and running in just a few minutes.

On the downside, it's as intuitive as a remote-controlled spider monkey and just as difficult to control. Some obvious features are missing, like making the roof meet the walls, or adding a bay window (very handy if your house has a bay window). On reflection these feature may exist, but I can't find them in the 300 page PDF manual.

If, like me, you're the kind of person who is prepared to embark on a large-scale home extension without retaining the services of an experienced and qualified architectural professional, then, like me, you should probably not be allowed near anything more complicated than an Etch-A-Sketch. If you are an experienced and qualified architectural professional, then you wouldn't touch this product with a neighbour's slipper. Difficult to pinpoint who would benefit from this software.

In summary, if you are looking for somewhere to dump a few hundred unwanted hours of your life, then this product is perfect for you. If you want help in designing a bigger, better home for you and your progeny, then I would recommend looking elsewhere.

p.s. the tutorial videos are pointless and uninformative, but on the plus side they are delivered by a man brought forward in time from a 1972 Open University lecture on plate tectonics, which is always enjoyable.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 May 2011
This is a first class planning tool. I bought the product to map out walk-throughs for a novel I am writing. The product is relatively easy to use and comes with a set of demonstration videos that are practical and impressive. It is worth watching the demos several times to get all the details. Draw the plans for each floor and then see the 3D result. Its a very professional product for a hobby price. I love the TV program and I love this computer program just as much. For anyone planning a house rebuild this is a good place to start.