Customer reviews

Sams Teach Yourself COBOL in 24 Hours
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£21.84

on 28 June 1999
I have been studying Cobol for about 9 months. Due to this being a "Home Study" course I have browsed several books and manuals to compliment my supplied texts. I can honestly say that "Teach Yourself Cobol in 24 Hours" by Thane Hubbell is not only the most comprehensive introduction to cobol I have found, it is also the most readable. The examples and exercises are well thought out and give many hints as to the pitfalls encountered by newcommers and helps you to avoid common mistakes and missconceptions. The chapter on Tables (Hour 12) has aided my understanding of, what is agreed by many newcommers to be, one of the most difficult concepts to grasp. I find the lighthearted but realistic approach to this subject makes learning such a dry subject much less of a chore. This book also takes you through the use of the compiler supplied on disc so not only does it teach you cobol "Theory" but you also get to put it into practice. Before using this book my experience of compiler options and environment variables was minimal to say the least.The other programs that come with the compiler allow you to create printed reports for output and user interface screens for input with such ease it is difficult to stop "examining the potential" or playing with them as my girlfriend would say. Never the less these tools take a lot of the tedious parts of coding out of the equation and allow you to concentrate on the more vital areas of your program. In conclusion I would like to say that in my humble opinion Sams,Fujitsu and Mr Hubbell have provided a complete and comprehensive tool for getting started with cobol and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Yours with immense gratitude Stu Talbot.
on 14 August 2000
Firstly, I have found no problems with installing the compiler. It is in a superior league to some others I have come across in the past. From this aspect alone I would recommend this book over one without a compiler attached.
SAMS books in general are pretty good, and this one is no exception. If you are a beginner, this should probably be your first stop.
on 24 February 1999
I have been studying Cobol for about 9 months. Due to this being a "Home Study" course I have browsed several books and manuals to compliment my supplied texts. I can honestly say that "Teach Yourself Cobol in 24 Hours" by Thane Hubble is not only the most comprehensive introduction to cobol I have found, it is also the most readable. The examples and exercises are well thought out and give many hints as to the pitfalls encountered by newcommers and helps you to avoid common mistakes and missconceptions. The chapter on Tables (Hour 12) has aided my understanding of, what is agreed by many newcommers to be, one of the most difficult concepts to grasp. I find the lighthearted but realistic approach to this subject makes learning such a dry subject much less of a chore. This book also takes you through the use of the compiler supplied on disc so not only does it teach you cobol "Theory" but you also get to put it into practice. Before using this book my experience of compiler options and environment variables was minimal to say the least.The other programs that come with the compiler allow you to create printed reports for output and user interface screens for input with such ease it is difficult to stop "examining the potential" or playing with them as my girlfriend would say. Never the less these tools take a lot of the tedious parts of coding out of the equation and allow you to concentrate on the more vital areas of your program. In conclusion I would like to say that in my humble opinion Sams,Fujitsu and Mr Hubbell have provided a complete and comprehensive tool for getting started with cobol and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Yours with immense gratitude Stu Talbot.
on 27 June 1999
I bought this book to help prepare me for a course in programming and systems analysis. It did a lot more! I found myself actually compiling and executing programmes within the first couple of hours! I have found that the software cd provided, with fujitsu compiler, lots of info and questions and answers has put me streets ahead. I am completing 8 week sections of my course in two weeks! Excellent value for money.
on 24 September 1998
I'm sort of cheating on this one; since Thane works for me I get to see the book way before y'all do! It will actually publish at 500 pages or so due to the great depth to which he goes into each topic. In spite of the length, it goes quickly.
I like his approach, with lots of examples, and his use of the most current COBOL standards, combined with 15 years of business experience on mainframes and PCs. His advice makes sense, works, and can be easily expanded upon. Even though I've been writing COBOL for 30 years, I learned some ways to improve my program structure.
I evaluated the book with the idea of using it as a text for a 4 credit hour Freshman or Sophomore class in compter science and found that it should do nicely, in fact the proposal is on the Dean's desk right now, with a request for Spring 1999 semester introduction.
on 27 June 1999
With a tip from the author, I could make the compiler work. The compiler directive 'MAIN' has to be included to make the sample1 program link. With the book and a working compiler, I am happy at my progress in learning COBOL.
on 23 June 1999
The book seems OK, but the compiler supplied in the CD ROM has a long install process and, moreover, I could not make it work (the linking fails). To me, the value of the book got greatly diminished because of this.
on 24 June 2011
As with other SAMS Teach yourself books, explains the COBOL language very well. Only thing is the compiler is very old so it could do with updating. A good reference book also.
on 2 February 1999
I found this book to be great. It help me with a quick answer guide, to write cobol programs.
on 17 November 2016
A good book. Really structured,nice and clean coding!