VINE VOICEon 24 November 2008
I wasn't quite sure how much I would enjoy this particular pairing of two of Dame Shirley's last albums for EMI's Columbia label. The track listing at first sight seems very much of its period and many of us have several versions of most of these songs in our collections already so I put this on with less enthusiasm than I had felt for most of BGO's reissues of Dame Shirley's work.

Good news: as usual, the sound is far superior to that on the vinyl originals but the performances and arrangements are so tingling with vitality and insight that there is no question of this being a routine listen. Several times, I have listened to this collection whilst doing some chores and found myself really listening and thoroughly enjoying what I was hearing.

According to my reckoning, all but three of Dame Shirley's EMI/UA albums have now been reissued. Unless I have missed something, only "Does Anybody Miss Me?", "This Is My Life" and "The Magic Is you" have yet to be reissued and I sincerely hope BGO gives them to us soon. It would also be good to have Dame Shirley's Philips albums reissued.

That, however, is a hope for the future. Enjoy what we have now in the present. I am thoroughly enjoying listening to these albums again in such good sound. I recommend them without reservation. Thank you, BGO.
on 18 November 2008
Thanks to BGO we are able to experience again the wonderful releases of Shirley Bassey that we originally loved on LP. Hearing her powerful voice calling across the years makes me for one feel young again. It is a shame that most people think of her as the Goldfinger Girl without realising that her range is so much more and she is the most exciting live performer of our generation. These albums are a true testament to her command of emotion and diction which make a Bassey interpreation of a song a truly professional and artistic triumph. It is also wonderful to see the original photography that made Shirley a fashion icon.
on 18 November 2008
Shirley Stops The Shows - This is one of Shirley Bassey's best albums - it certainly captures her voice, her vibrancy, her power and her special talent. It's in your face - you can't play this one in the background! Beautifully remastered (thanks BGO) and very much alive, even forty years after it was recorded.
12 Of Those Songs - Hearing Shirley sing "Something's Coming" is awesome - what a range! All tracks beautifully arranged and sounding super. She really is something (oh, that's another album....)
Peter, Adelaide, South Australia
on 23 November 2008
Finally, The Sweetest Sounds is on CD. Despite countless compilations, this song has never appeared on any CD. This wonderfully remastered CD sounds much better than my old records. I am hearing more of the instruments and Bassey's voice has never sounded better. Long live BGO!
on 27 February 2013
Wonderful songs brilliantly performed by Shirley Bassey. But the poorest of cd prints I own. It jumps it stops it repeats and does all
terrible sounds we hate and destroys the wonderful recordings. Sometimes the cd plays correctly but very seldom. I only keep it because of Bassey. If I had known that it is that bad I had returned the cd.
on 8 July 2014
Absolutely brilliant! Had both LP's in the day and these two CD versions are even better-sounding
on 2 November 2014