Customer reviews

Welsh jazz singer Ian Shaw is a brave man. Taking on the Joni Mitchell songbook takes guts!
I've loved her music from the beginning and have always been wary of "covers" but Mr Shaw's
interpretations are among the best. Intelligent, respectful, beautifully sung and refreshingly different.
His tender and subtly-nuanced rendition of 'A Case Of You' (a favourite of mine) is an absolute joy.

Highly Recommended.
on 4 November 2016
Generally speaking, I agree with whoever called jazz "the last refuge of the untalented", which makes it all the more surprising that Joni ever chose to get mixed up in it at one stage - the low point of her career. Being unprepossessing in looks, IS would never have made it as a pop or rock star, so went in for jazz. This is, nonetheless, a sensational set of interpretations of Joni's songs and I recommend it to her fans.
on 10 December 2006
I bought this album never having heard of Ian Shaw previously. My main reason for purchase was 1. I'm a big Joni Mitchell fan and was curious to hear how anyone could take on such personal songs (that I couldn't imagine anyone but Joni Mitchell singing) and 2. Being on Linn Records you know it's going to be a great quality recording.

When I put this into my SACD player the qulaity on the multi-channel layer knowocked me out - it's not a 'bells and whistles' mix - the surround being used mainly for ambience, but oh how Mr. Shaw's vocals jump out at you. The sub on the double bass is just right also.

Most importantly though Ian Shaws interpretation of the Joni Mitchell songs are exquisite (dare I say it I prefer this version of Edith and The Kingpin to the original). Something quite new is brought to each song with Ian Shaw being totally in control of these songs that I thought previously could not and should not be covered. The musicianship on the album is something to be admired as well with Richard Cottle figuring heavily on keyboards (a fellow welshman who played on many hits of the 80's working with 'clever' trevor horn).

What more can I say except one of those rare gems that you buy almost by chance and it turn out to be one of your favourite albums.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2007
I am usually disappointed by covers of original songs and never thought anyone could better Joni's own versions but Ian has triumphed on this album. 'A case of you' is one of the most emotional songs I have ever heard.
on 24 March 2008
I really don't know where to start on this one. I feel like someone who bought Bear Stearns stock the day before they were picked up for pocket change by JP Morgan. After one listen I quickly resold this one (phew!). For a Joni Mitchell fan this is a marmite album i.e. you'll love it or hate it. Its nothing like Joni, and mashes the songs big time. My only advice is borrow this from a friend first and audition before acquiring. If you like safe 20th century jazz, then maybe you'll like this. From the other reviews I've read on this album though, it seems that fans love it. So of you like Ian, then I suspect you'll enjoy this one too - he obviously sings with feeling and skill. Music is just fantastically subjective.
on 29 May 2006
This is the best collection of songs Ian Shaw has produced to date, by a country mile.

Not that there is much wrong with his earlier recordings, especially "Famous Rainy Day", but to actually IMPROVE on the damn near perfect Joni Mitchell originals here is a very impressive feat.

In my view, this is Ian Shaw's first "grown up" album, combining his exquisite, soulful voice and tasteful, understated piano accompaniment with some storming musicianship from the top drawer of UK jazz - Guy Barker and the Right Honourable Nigel Hitchcock add some scorching solos.

Please buy this record - and when you play it and you like it, go and watch him live - he's even better live!

Not that I'm a fan or anything....
on 20 December 2006
For all who value good music along with food, drink and clean air as essentials ingredients of a well balanced life, Ian Shaw will enrich your days as only a few can.

Singing and piano playing at Leonardo levels of artistic genius is by definition rare, and I defy anyone to listen to this album without being captivated.

The songs are great - Joni Mitchell is another who doesn't do average - and Shaw's take on them is always orignal and yet seems perfectly fitting.

I was left feeling, as with Shaw's earlier works, that maybe this is how the composer meant them to sound.

If you haven't heard him, or even heard of him, don't delay - buy today!
on 14 July 2009
This is real slow burner. You need to listen a few times-ideally through headphones-to really appreciate Ian Shaw's superb vocals. As you would expect from the pen of Joni Mitchell, the songs are quality. If you are going to cover someone elses songs you realy need to give it your own feel. Although a lot of the songs were unknown to me prior to getting the album, Ian's arrangement of Chelsea Morning gives a whole new feel to what was arguably an all time classic. Definately an album for real music lovers.
on 5 April 2006
I've just bought this album and have fallen in love with it! Ian Shaw is a great singer so I was always going to buy this album, but I was surprised by how much I liked the Joni Mitchell covers. I've never been a big Joni fan but these songs are amazing sung by Shaw. I could listen to 'A case of you' over and over again - it is so beautiful (and my wife's favourite) and I also adore 'Night in the City' and 'Barangrill'. Great guest artists as well and some superb arrangements with lots of variety in style. All in all a must-have album. Love it.
on 12 December 2015
Like Lianne Carroll i enjoy listening to Ian Shaw live.
So again a few listens to his CD,s before i have
assimilated the whole.