on 7 September 2009
Bought this kettle for my 82 year old mother. She wanted a kettle that was fast boiling, safe and not too heavy for her to lift. Together with it's good looks it is all those things.
on 6 February 2010
I had a Russell Hobbs Millennium kettle previously. It lasted for 13 years, so I decided to stick with the same brand.
This kettle is not to the same standard however. The lid opening mechanism feels flimsy, and doesn't open it far enough. After a few days it failed to open at all. I had to prise the lid open, and file some of the catch away.
It works now, but I don't think it will last long.
It also takes around twice the time to boil the minimum quantity of water as the old one.
Not recommended.
on 6 April 2010
Initial thoughts - great design, lights up when in use, cordless etc.
Only 8 months of moderate use (out most of the day working!) and water leaks everywhere when pouring - and not just from the spout! This probably started a month or two ago. Limescale build up everywhere too. Disappointing. Kettle's usually last a lot longer than this (years longer!) - even cheaper ones!!
on 17 July 2009
I am very pleased with this kettle - very comfortable handle and easy to pour - and no drips! Also easy opening to refill. Plus it looks attractive.
on 17 July 2009
Efficient, easy to use and love the lid release button. Especially good value at Amazon's half price offer!
on 30 July 2010
I really liked the kettle when I first used it. It was fairly quiet and relatively fast. The blue light which came on when the water boiled was lovely. But 6 months in, the limescale filter became impossible to remove for cleaning. Every time I filled the kettle through the lid opening, I had to wipe streams of water which flowed down either side of the kettle near the handle before drops of water could leak dangerously into the On/Off switch. In the 18th month, the release mechanism inside the lid disintegrated, making closing the lid impossible. As a result, with the lid slightly open, the kettle would not shut off automatically after boiling water. Also in the 18th month pink bacteria began to grow on the lid catch (possibly because the lid never got hot enough from the steam from boiling water to kill the bacteria), and rust stains discoloured the area around the screws inside the lid. Not surprisingly, yesterday, I replaced my Russell Hobbs Model No. 14440 by the Philips HD4656, a Which? "Best Buy". I have emailed my complaints about the Russell Hobbs kettle along with a photograph of the inside of the lid (after I treated the bacteria on the lid catch with Milton) to both Russell Hobbs and Which? just so that both will know how poorly the Russell Hobbs 14440 was - or is, since it is still being sold to unwary consumers.
on 4 February 2010
After only about 8 months of use the lid release mechanism snapped rendering the kettle useless. I think the hard water has had a detrimental effect on the kettle but really, it should last longer than 8 months!
on 4 September 2009
Russell Hobbs 14440 Stylis Kettle with 1.7 litre capacity in white
I am generally pleased with the performance of the kettle but I find it difficult to get my hand and a damp cloth inside to wipe it round as recommended as the hole at the top is very small and the lid gets in the way. Also I am disappointed at the minimum amount of water needed to use it as I often only need to heat enough water for one cup of tea which is far less than the half litre of water required, wasting water and electricity. Patri P.
on 3 August 2010
UPDATE - 3 months later and it has broke, the handle leaks and the button to open the lid no longer works! It has went from 4 stars to one. I have only had this 4 months. Disappointing.

----------------

I love the look of this kettle, it is simple and stylish looking.

It is easy to keep this kettle clean and pristine looking. There is a removable filter that you can take out clean. The outer plastic is easily wiped down if needed and my one still looks brand new.

When you click the button to tell the kettle to boil it does so quickly and without making too much noise. My mum recently got a new kettle too (a completely different brand and type) and she had trouble with a plastic taste to her water. I was a bit concerned that this might have happened with my new kettle too. However, I have had no trouble at all like this. When the kettle is boiling it does light up a very pretty blue, this looks especially attractive at night when you can see it better, the whole kitchen glows with a bubbling blue shade.

Simple things like pouring the boiling water are as easy as they should be. The handle is easy to hold and I have never experienced any leaking or spilling when pouring the kettle. It is also easy to fill with a button releasing the lid, leaving plenty of room to fill from the tap.

It is set on a 360 degree base which means that it is easy for both right and left handed people to use. The kettle and the base feel and look quite sturdy.

I am really happy with this kettle because it does all the things I need it to do pour well, boil quickly and relatively quietly, while looking attractive.
on 27 May 2010
Initial problem was that water was dripping down the back of the kettle into the on/off switch which is clearly a serious design flaw but one that can be worked-around by drying the kettle when this happens.

After 14 months of use, however, the plastic hinges inside the lid have both snapped despite the kettle sustaining absolutely no external physical damage.

The customer Services representative at Russell Hobbs has stated that their guarantee period is limited to 12 months and that that is how long they would consider reasonable for a kettle to last. Personally, I consider this a pretty poor attitude and one that speaks volumes for how low they consider the quality of Russell Hobbs products.

A more minor issue is that it is the noisiest kettle I have ever heard. I have even had people remark on the amount of background noise when speaking to them on the telephone.

See one answered question