Format: Kindle Edition|Change

Most Christmas stories don't hit the reader very hard. This one does.

If you ever did something that you regret and haven't repented, The Christmas Sweater will make you realize that you need to repent and ask His forgiveness.

I was particularly impressed by how Mr. Beck drew on his own painful childhood experiences to help us realize that we need to be responsible for our own lives and our relationships with God, Jesus, and other people. The pain from his life is intense and real. Although it's a fictional story, the emotions portrayed aren't.

I appreciated Mr. Beck explaining the factual foundation beneath the story and sharing some of his personal testimony about losing faith.

I recommend this book to those who think they cannot be forgiven and gain new hope and faith. The Christmas Sweater is not just for Christmas!

If you haven't read the book, don't look at the next paragraph. It could be a spoiler for you.

I had one disappointment about the story: giving Eddie a "do over" diluted the message. Although it relieves the tension a lot for readers, I think that it would be better for readers to get their relief from Eddie coming to terms with his life through a relationship with Jesus rather than having the bad news just go away.
on 19 January 2012
Yet another awful ghostwritten christmas book by a mr magic underpants. Don't spend your money on Glenn Beck books. You are better off buying other books than wasting it on this badly written book.
on 19 January 2012
I can't recommend this book for anybody who is interested in the christmas. You are better off looking for another book about the subject. It is badly written and awful.
As just another Christmas story, this short novel is OK, it's the predictability and sentiment that gets in the way for me. Glenn Beck is well-known in America as a very right-wing radio and TV presenter, he also tours the USA with a show that includes the story of The Christmas Sweater.

Eddie is twelve years old and really wants a new bike for Christmas. His father has recently died and his mother works four jobs just to keep a roof over their head. When Eddie receives a hand-made sweater on Christmas morning and no bike, he is upset, angry and furiously throws it to the ground. The story that follows is fable-like, with a 'Saint Nicholas' like Grandfather, a wholesome Grandmother, a rich friend with a 'perfect' life and a strange unknown old guy who speaks words of wisdom.

The story is readable and Eddie is portrayed quite well - the anger and hurt at losing his father and not having the same life as his friends comes through very well. Then the preaching starts and the inclusion of a bit of religious fervour turns the whole thing into an overly-sweet parable.

Fans of Mitch Albom will probably really enjoy this - but for me, it was just a little bit too much like a sermon.
on 23 November 2008
This book contains a great story; one that took me back to my teenage years. Although I may not have lost a parent or anything as severe as that, I did have my ups and downs. A teenager's judgment may not be rational to an adult, but for a teen it is perfectly fine. Although a teen may know what they're doing may not be correct, they still choose to do it, and this story did a great job of explaining that. For parents this is a great story because it allows you to see just what happens inside the head of these teens. Once you start this book you won't want to put it down. And for a great book of philosophy I would highly recommend Understanding: Train of Thought.
I was told about this book and didn't think it was my type of usual read, however, from the very first page I was hooked and read this in one day! Its a moving story that no one can get away from and not remember when they see this title again. Life is short, and its more noticeable when you reach the end of this book, well worth a read