This is an absolute classic, up there with a Wheelybug and Lego for brilliant toys that YOU SHOULD HAVE! Endless entertainment, and no mess! You get a big fabric sheet to draw on, with colourful alphabet surround, plus 2 pens to fill with tapwater. Ours also came with some stencils which were completely ignored by the children.

Both my 19 month old daughter and 6 year old son love this, and play happily together. We take it on all trips, as it folds up into my handbag or baby changing bag, and has been used under restaurant tables, in hospital waiting rooms, and practically everywhere else. You can use it on the fussiest granny's carpet - 'cause it's only water!! genius!

I's also recommedn a selection of the mini-mats. Much more limited play value - you're really just 'revealing' the hidden picture rather than being creative - but a worthwhile addition to anyone's child-entertainment collection especially for trips out to restaurants etc.

I personally think the Classic mat is better than the Thomas and Disney Princess versions; they immediately limit the interest and come with easily-broken and rather gimmicky accessories.
22 comments| 298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2010
We bought this for our neice for Christmas. We thought it might be too old for her as she is not 3 years yet. She loved it particularly using the pen. Most of the Christmas adult guests played with it as well. We will buy another to send to our granddaughter in New Zealand. As it only uses water there is no mess at all.
on 24 October 2013
With a second child, it gets really hard to know what to buy them for christmas and birthdays because they inherit so much from older siblings, that or experience tells you that other toys are rubbish and dont last. In time for christmas i did i quick evaluation of the toys that have been played with the most in order to replace for my second child. Aquadoodle was right at the top. After five years of use our current set was still going strong, yes the kids drink the water from the pens, yes they paint the whole mat out and ruin the game, yes they tip the water out and jump in it to make footprints whilst you scream like a banshee "just draw with it stop tipping it out!" "Stop drinking it". But even when your child can be trusted with big girls pens and can write merrily, they'll still come back to the aquadoodle. Our mat is worn and mucky now so i bought a new one at the bargain price of 9.99. Experience tells me that the peppa, thomas, talking versions are all lovely, but pointless when your child just wants to paint the whole mat out to see what happens. A great toy that will be played with again and again just not perhaps how you envisioned.
I can't believe I'd never seen this until my sister ordered it for her little boy whos 18 months old as I write! Mine are 18 and 13 now and this would have been a godsend years ago. The Aquadoodle mat is roughly 3 feet by 3 feet square with the alphabet around the edges with a little colourful picture to represent each word. The mat comes with an empty pen that you fill with tap water. The pen can then be used to draw on the mat, simple as that! My little nephew loved it, drawing like a crazed pen wielding Picasso! The pictures that your child draws remain for several minutes until the water dries up and the mat becomes clean again ready to re-use, brilliant! So it can be used over and over again. There are also hidden pictures around the inner edge of the mat that your child can colour in so to speak to make them appear like magic. You could of course wet your kids hands or feet to print on the mat too! The educational value is massive in my opinion. Brilliant product with a long usage life so super value for money with this one. Highly recommended.
on 6 July 2010
Bought this for my 17 month old daughter as she likes to put things in her mouth and doesn't always keep the crayon on the paper. With this, I do not need to worry. It only works on the mat and the odd occasion that she has tried to colour in the furniture, it doesn't matter as it is only water. She loves to sit in the middle of the mat and draw around her. The hidden pictures around the edges are great as they can be coloured in again and again. I think it is a brilliant idea that once you have drawn on the mat, the ink disappears as it dries. Never need to run out of paper. This has been one of the best toys I have bought her and she plays with it every day. I would definately recomend this.
on 26 February 2010
The suggested age on the box is actually 18+ months (not 3 years as stated in the product description).
on 22 June 2010
Im not sure, who loves this more - me or my son. He is just 16 month but already loves the pictures on the sides. he is trying to draw and loves it, so everyone is happy:-) it also helps him to speak, motivates and stimulates mmotoric skills.
on 6 December 2013
Great item, I had this a few years ago for my children and just bought this one for my 12 month old niece for Christmas, i'm sure she will love it, Tip. Don't hang it over the radiator to dry, as this will ruin it.
on 10 September 2012
I was really irritated when this arrived it was meant for a christmas present for my 18 month old .... It's French all the words are French !! While I want her to learn another language I kind of want her to have a grasp on the English one first !!!! She has been given it as the hassle of trying to return things is more irritating and it's a good idea and works well
on 9 March 2016
My grandchildren have been using this on a weekly basis for almost 6 years and it's still in really good condition. It's something which regularly gets pulled out to play with when they visit. It's educational as well as encouraging creative drawing, can be used over and over. I always wait for it to be dry before storing away and empty the pen each time.