• 1984

Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 26 August 2017
So like everyone else on the planet of course I know the mega-hit Jump by Van Halen but for some reason, maybe it was the idea of Eddie Van Halen's guitar shredding (don't ask me what that means but I'd assumed I didn't like it) or the bands uber-metal sounding name but something had hitherto put me off investigating Van Halen. But you have to start sometime, somewhere and so 33 years after its release I bought 1984 (for less than a fiver) and dived into Van Halen. Perhaps not head first as 1984 is a soft safe start having the afore mentioned mega-hit as its second track, and having sold 12 million copies in the US alone it had to have something about it; and you know what it does. This isn't a one song album, all the songs are great, although the goofing around at the start of Hot For Teacher is a bit naff and not really fitting for men who are now in their third age. But end-to-end this album rocks, its not the metal album I had supposed it to be, its just good old fashioned heads-down guitar driven rock but with a supporting cast of synthesiser and keyboards. So my first Van Halen album is a big five star thumbs up, but, if as so many other reviewers have suggested this is VH's best album, where do I go next to avoid disappointment. Thoughts welcomed!
on 15 July 2017
One of my 'must have on vinyl' collection....it's the only way to listen to this album - It sounds incredible!

I'm not going to review the album as such, other than to say it's a classic DLR era LP with all the traits of the band pushed to the limits.

This pressing is fantastic, no surface noise and on a heavyweight vinyl....someone has put some time and effort into this. It's a weird thing but music of this time was made for vinyl and therefore probably sounds more natural played on that format. There's so much detail in the sound which again brings things out in the mix that I've not heard before. Quality.
on 6 September 2017
I really like this album 'jump' is very enjoyable, I love the keyboard stabs on the track, and I think the rest of the album is fab, the tracks have a really have an superb melody, and I love the guitar riffs in many of the tracks, this is a brilliant record collection for my taste in music and I love classic rock.
As everyone knows, their great frontman left after this amidst much recrimination and blaming-each-other on the parts of EVH and Roth. It`s pretty scary that it all happened 23 years ago (I missed it being too traumatising back then, due to my age)...but if only Eddie wasn`t in and out of rehab in 2007 and they could just get along I`d still love to see the classic VH line-up live, and even better, record some new stuff.

I still think 6 amazing albums is a pretty decent output, and can`t think of many other bands who`ve managed that. 1984 isn`t my favourite, but it`s still a stunning, 5-star effort. The band weren`t all that happy with Eddie starting to throw a few keyboard numbers in and I think I agree with them, but "Jump" and "I`ll Wait" are great songs, just not the hard rock we`d learned to adore from the previous albums. "Jump" has one of Eddie`s greatest guitar solos on for sure. It`s not really that song though that makes the album so special. There a three or four others that are a sign of a band at it`s absolute peak. Firstly, "Panama", classic Roth, with the sort of tongue-in-cheek sleaze that VH never showcased again with Sammy Hagar. Classic Eddie too, he just blows me away every song. Alex and Mike are great as ever too. "Hot For Teacher" is wonderful too, funny and loud and a real party song! "Top Jimmy", "Drop Dead Legs" and "Girl Gone Bad" would be career-best songs by any other rock `n` roll band. My favourite song though is one of the less heralded VH tracks and the album closer, "House of Pain". It`s almost as though Eddie had distilled all his anger with Roth`s antics and released it in the form of this huge, monster of an attacking solo. It was one of the earliest written VH songs that missed the cut on all their other albums but Alex insisted it was on this time and thank God. If I could play the solo I would die a satisfied man...it`s amazing and I`m always stunned by it...I know guitar playing isn`t all about speed, and that`s why I love EVH because the feel is incredible too and it`s perfect.

So, buy it. And revel in the greatest four-piece rock band there ever was (and who knows...perhaps they will be again one day)!
on 21 September 2016
I was looking for this as my old version CD got scratched so bad that I couldn't use it anymore. The old formula when VH doing good stuff. I prefer Sammy Hagar on vocal but here David Lee Roth is just brilliant.
on 29 August 2017
What can I say....its Van Halen at their best. love this album, brings back memories for me when I was working in Los Angeles in 1984!

JUMP!
on 14 September 2017
A quite frankly terrible master/remaster. Harsh as the proverbial.
on 27 March 2017
super vinyl
on 23 July 2017
Van halen at his best
on 23 February 2013
Received in perfect condition wthin a few days. I love Van Halen for his sound and technique. Most so called modern day rock groups simply do not have his talent.