Customer reviews

Levelling The Land (Remastered)
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 10 April 2014
This reissue of Levelling The Land has been excellently remastered and considerably expanded, with extra studio tracks and the set played at Glastonbury in 1992. It's a top-quality, top-class version of what is perhaps The Levellers on the very top of their game and I wholeheartedly recommend it to fans old and new.

My vinyl version of Levelling The Land, bought when it first came out, has seen better days and rather than endure the cracks and pops of a much loved record any more, I bought this CD to replace it. Not only did I get all the tracks on the vinyl version, I got a number of extra studio tracks and an excellent live set too. In addition to the tracks labelled as 'extra' on the first disc, the track 'Fifteen Years' is also included (it wasn't on my vinyl version). And the original album is classic Levellers; railing against the injustices of society, highlighting the lives of the downtrodden and - some of my absolute favourites - celebrating not just an alternative lifestyle but life in general. Angry and uplifting in turn, it is The Levellers at the very peak of their powers. The remastering process has been done very well, subtly enhancing what was good to start with; a little like taking a gold ring to the jewellers to get it polished, it hasn't been changed but it now shines still more brightly.

As is the set from Glastonbury 1992 on the second CD, which will appeal not just to anyone that's seen them live but also many that haven't. Give the CD a spin, close your eyes, listen and imagine you're there; it isn't difficult. Listen too for the slight change to the lyrics of The Boatman and the ending of Liberty Song.

The presentation of the CD is extremely good too, taking all that was familiar from the vinyl version and adding to it with some press cuttings that reveal just how unfashionable a band they once were and a booklet that relates the reaction of one of the band members to a bad review in the NME.

If you're a Levellers fan and don't own this already, you really should. I can't recommend it highly enough.
on 15 August 2015
Their best album in my humble opinion.
on 8 February 2017
I came to this band very late. I love them. Need to hear them live now.
on 30 March 2015
loved this first time around and its not lost anything
on 18 February 2012
Reminded me of my university years

You get 2 CDs (the main one and a live glastonbury set)

I you loved the Levellers, get this
on 25 April 2013
One of my favourite albums of all time, the remastered version adds a few extra classic tracks and sounds better than ever! Finally The Devil Went Down In Georgia able to own in MP3 version!
on 14 January 2010
Missed it first time around, but it holds up well. Worthy introduction to the music if you know little or nothing about them, and a good price for the download also.
on 20 October 2014
as advertised
on 13 August 2013
This digitally remastered CD is even better than the original with extra tracks including their roof raising rendition of 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'. Its worth reinvesting in this remastered version purely for these extra tracks. Long live The Levellers
on 5 August 2013
Great, great songs from start to end !! I grew up with the Levellers but hadnt heard for a while. When listened to this album I was dancing to every tune with chills down my spine. Brilliant a must buy.