Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

"Both Sides Now" probably stimulated the interest of a new generation of music lovers after hearing the song in the film "Love Actually" (which was terrific).
The song here is deservedly given center stage on the album: it is classic,iconic and so many performers(good and bad) have shown that the words and melody of this piece can only enhance their C.V.
Here Joni performs her very own song with a full orchestral backing. At times she seems to merely speak the lyrics, not sing them, and this just adds to the majesty of the song.
A throughly engrossing album which burns into the heart.
Cheekily if you peek into the artwork of the cd you see Joni smoking and drinking at a bar: above the bar is a sign which says "No Smoking".Thats Joni!
on 26 October 2016
Must admit I got this just to see what she made of these American Songbook classics. She's astounding (as per) and makes Rod's versions sound laughable (if they weren't so tragic).The arrangements and orchestrations are absolutely gorgeous and the overall treatment sumptuous. These kind of songs are not my normal listening, but I could listen to Joni doing them all day. What a treasure she is. May she long be with us yet.
on 7 May 2017
Beautiful music at a laid back pace. Such a change from her early work. "Both sides now" and "a case of you" will haunt you forever after.
on 30 March 2017
What a voice, have loved her music for years and this album does not disappoint
on 18 July 2016
Ever since she first saw 'Love Actually' this has been the wife 'go to' album for chilling out
on 21 April 2017
Very happy with my Joni Mitchell CD and very happy with the quick dealing of my order thankyou
on 28 February 2000
Well, Joni Mitchell has done it again, turned a corner while we weren't looking and gone off in another direction. While this is an album of jazz standards, Joni Mitchell uses her unique phrasing style and characterful voice to colour these songs. Listen to how she sings, 'Your smile is just a careless yawn' and you will melt. Her updated version of Both Sides Now is also something to behold. While completely steered away from the ingenue that wrote it, she has made the song come full-circle in it's complexity and has finally got the voice that can give this song the depth it has needed. Listen to the 'with wrinkles' version of 'A Case Of You' and your heart will weep.
Joni Mitchell's mother, Myrtle, says that to really appreciate this album you have to turn it UP LOUD! The strings and the arrangement really get to you.
on 17 March 2013
I, like many others, was attracted to this album having heard Both Sides Now while watching the movie Love Actually. I thought it a fantastic rendition of this song. So I bought the CD and immediately fell in love with it. I have had it for many years now and I keep on going back to it. Not a dud track on the whole album. Some of the best renditions of the American songbook around. At first I wasn't sure of A Case of You being included, but slowly and surely I fell for it and now it is my favourite track. This is not your usual Joni Mitchell music but the further evolution of an innovative and ever changing career. The arrangements and the orchestrations are very good. Ignore those reviews which give it a 1* rating = no soul, no heart.
on 18 February 2015
I just love this album. This is sultry and wonderful. Joni Mitchell's mature voice is beautiful and combined with a light jazzy feel it is just the perfect album to relax to.
on 3 October 2004
It is very, very hard to describe this CD without resorting to gushing superlatives and over-use of the words "amazing", "fantastic", and "wonderful"; yet this album is all of those things and more; much more.
To describe it briefly, I'd call it a collection of jazz songs and classics carefully selected from the 1920's all the way to the present, sung in beautifully re-orchestrated versions. It also includes re-worked versions of two of Joni's own songs: A Case of You, and the title-track Both Sides Now. Most of the other tracks were at some point sung by the great jazz artistes such as Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald.
Since I bought the CD a week ago I've been as hooked on it as I'm ever going to get. The CD has been on continuous play in my home hi-fi system; it's followed me into the car; and I've even snuck it into my computer at office. I'm surprised it hasn't yet burnt out! The mood of the music is at the same time both deeply emotional and dramatic, but also foot-tappingly upbeat - and this versatility and adaptability is perhaps the CD's best asset.
It's practically impossible to do justice to the collection by pin-pointing its highlights. I was initially drawn to the CD after hearing the version of "Both Sides Now" on the 'Love, Actually' soundtrack. This particular track is remarkable not only for the haunting clarity with which Joni delivers, but also for the stunning orchestration by Vince Mendoza. Now that the CD has started to grow on me, I also think "Answer Me, My Love" is another impressive track.
However cliché it may sound, this is one of those CD's without which no collection can call itself complete. I have never been a die-hard Joni Mitchell aficionado, but this CD is not simply intended for Joni fans. The CD has struck a chord with me and I cannot recommend it enough.