on 1 September 2017
One of the best albums ever made, in any genre. I borrowed it from a friend at school on release (it was passed around the class, everyone having a good giggle at the photo on the inside cover), eventually bought my own vinyl copy, then got the CD when that came out. I never, ever, tire of listening to it. I believe it slightly has the edge over the also magnificent Court and Spark because of the latter's occasional jazz touches - this is stark and raw from start to finish, with a little commercial detour via the lovely You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio. Every song is stunning, but I will take Ludwig's Tune in my heart to the grave with me. When she cries "Jesus, well then you yell it!" I melt, every time. It's about time Joni's catalogue was given the deluxe reissue treatment. I'm not an audiophile, but how great would a cache of live, alternate or unreleased recordings with each album be?
Finally, you can get For The Roses for a bargain price. If you don't already have it - why not?
2 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2018
I bought this album on CD, because this one was one of the few I was missing. Then I noticed this album from 1972, marks the shift from earlier beeing a singer of folk music, towards developing her individual style in the after comming albums with elements of jazz and fusion, combined with elements of pop and rock. I highly recomend this album for lover of Joni Mitchells music from the rest of the 70ies..
on 13 April 2016
Listened to it often whilst I was a student in the 70's, never bought it. Heard a track on the radio and thought I'd get the CD. Wish I'd bought it years ago, it's well written, well performed, well produced. Recommended.
on 23 August 2013
I bought this album as a birthday gift for a dear friend. I have had it , on vinyl form release and on CD since it was made available in that format. It is a superlative album. The songs are truly original and never seem to date. I listen to this album of JM's more than any other -it just keeps drawing me back to it. Blue is a great album too and the most lauded of Joni's albums, but for me For the Roses is perfect.
on 16 September 2015
My all time favourite Joni Mitchell album, with a lot of beautiful piano and Joni singing her heart out. Nothing like Blue, but an amazing album in its own right, try it and see if you agree.
on 14 November 2017
Great. On time
on 27 April 2014
How did Joni's music pass me by for so many years?

Actually, I think it's because her recorded performances can't be appreciated unless played on a decent system.

As simple as that.

This album is beautiful beyond words.
on 12 October 2016
Not my favourite Joni album, but still head and shoulders above everyone else.
on 20 April 2016
obviousally an icon of the sixties if in the mood excellent.
on 30 January 2018
A great album again from Joni, really enjoying her songs and albums