This has to be one of the most underrated CD's of my generation. To this day it oozes with style and a mastery of lyrics and music. A band at the top of their game.
As cool today as it was years back. Even the videos are a work of art. Funny, cool, fresh, artistic and trail blazing.
My ten year old son is listening to it and can't believe that it isn't a new release.
on 6 July 2017
Love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This album is really good.
on 17 June 2017
Best RHCP album lost my original one that why i got it
on 11 April 2017
arrived quickly and perfect
on 29 April 2017
super
on 16 January 2003
This is a great album, no mistaking it. I did buy this the day it was released and was really pleased driving around enjoying the new tracks that most people had not yet heard.
With myself I found that all the songs I liked on first hearing. I was a bit worried, as normally the albums I really like don't have a superficial appeal and I grow to appreciate them after hearing them many times. However, this album was different. I continued to play it, and to like it more and more.
I took it to my friends to play as we had a BBQ on a hot summer evening.... the same effect on them. I did play this album a lot, maybe too much, then I started listening to some other artisits for a while...but only a little while. A great talking point too when you meet someone new, they are bound to like this album as well ;)
Interestingly, I found the tracks all quite varied and the compositions involving and diverse. Throughout the album there is a fusion of different feels, even within single tracks.
"Can't Stop" has a rap feel to the lyrical rythm, and then throughout a melodic break, the guitar has a distinctly reggae feel.
"Midnight" starts with a pleasant classical strings introduction, and then follows with a progression of different stages that remind me of "Scooby Doo" to back street New York gang lands.
"Zephyr Song" and "By The Way" are just very cool and funky. "Tear" has something like a trumpet line in it throughout the introduction? Not really what you would expect?
Don't know what to say about "Warm Tape"? Where did that come from? I like it but not sure why? "Venice Queen" is just fantastic with the most ambient introduction sequence on the album, with reflective and mournful elements.
Plenty of harmonisations to keep your interest too. I really feel that the punctuation and rythm used in the vocal lines are one of the main attractions of this band, suppported by excellent musician ship and compositional ability (and a fine production team). Almost certainly you will enjoy this album, and certainly grow to love it. RHCP - Still setting a huge influence on the music industry.
on 19 January 2014
If you stick this record on expecting to hear some hardcore funk rock with screaming vocals, slap bass lines and distorted guitars you couldn't be more wrong. This, in comparison to other Chilis records, is a very mellow album. And it is bloomin' incredible.

This is the record where John took far more responsibility over the musical direction of the album, hence his heavy influence in the tracks. The Chilis have used techniques in this record that they've never really used before, such as layered melodic guitars, electronic synthesisers and almost choral backing vocals. The tracks on this album range from the energetic, psychedelic Chilis style which we know and love to the new, mellow, poetic, almost beautiful (in some cases) style which makes this record so damn awesome. I'll now go through each of the tracks on the record.

For me the stand-out tracks on this album are numerous. My personal favourite on the album (which is also my favourite Chilis song, and favourite song of all time) is Dosed. This beautiful track opens with three or four layered guitar melodies and wonderful lyrics, the second verse accompanied by harmonic backing vocals. The chorus is enough to make anyone cry. You just have to listen to it, I can't explain it. Other stand-out tracks include Can't Stop; a funky, hard-rocking hit; Cabron, a flamenco-style Spanishy song; Throw Away Your Television; a surreal, techo-ish song with very odd lyrics; Venice Queen, a long acoustic song with an extended outro passage with deep lyrics about the Band's friend Gloria; Don't Forget Me which opens and closes with a simple four chord bass riff played by flea with a powerful chorus and many others.

I Can't Stop dancing to this record at Midnight, I'm afraid i might Tear a muscle. At this rate I might Throw Away My Television because I can't get enough. By The Way, I hear this record is pretty big On Mercury, but that's just a Minor Thing 'cause This Is The Place where it belongs.

If you don't have this record take a long look at your life and see where you went wrong. This is an absolute must-have for any Chilis fan or Music fan in general. Buy this record NOW.
on 23 April 2014
Just adding my personal thoughts. I remember when I was 16 our family went of holiday to Ireland and I was just starting to become interested in rock music. We hired a car and I remember buying this in a independent record shop out there and listing to it non stop as we drove around. So whenever I listen to it, I always associate it with the green fields and rolling hills of Ireland.

Can't stop has to be my favorite song. The riff is so catchy and Dosed is so underrated and sweet. This Is The Place shows what a good song writer Anthony Kiedisis. If your new to the Chili Peppers this is great place to start. I would ever go as far as to put it in my top 5 albums of the 00s