Customer reviews

I, Flathead
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 14 October 2011
Ry Cooder's "I, Flathead" must be the best album ever about motor maniacs. Not being that interested myself in speed cars, I could actually consider, if not driving myself, at least watch a drag race of kind. The odd story about the fictive Kash Buk musician and his band add yet one more dimension to the album. Wonderful!
on 27 August 2008
I could be wrong butI get the impression that Mr Cooder has been listening to a lot of Tom Waits recently and that is no bad thing. Great album both musically and lyrically, could have done with some more of his trademark slide guitar but no complaints really.
4 people found this helpful
on 27 October 2008
If you like the recent crop of character fuelled narrative records from Ry, then this is for you.

Paints wonderful images with his lyrics and often profound emotions with his music. A true new world genius.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 June 2008
These days, Ry Cooder has become a musical novelist and I happen to believe that his new format of album making is quietly revolutionary. After the awe inspiring "Chavez Ravine", here is another great example of what a concept album should sound like. Mysterious, iconic, intruiging and totally musical.

In an age where we can, with a few lazy clicks of our mouse download a few tracks of an album without commiting to the whole thing entirely, it's great to still have a modern artist like Ry who can make you cough up the full amount, and for once, our lazy MP3 heads don't feel cheated.
24 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2008
I'm afraid I was sadly disappointed in the latest offering by Mr. Cooder. Perhaps being British, and not in possession of the novella which apparently explains what the album is all about may have something to do with my lack of enthusiasm. Mr. Cooder is not a singer, and someone in his entourage should tell him so. His voice has a very limited range, and his singing appears to be strained. We are given two talking "songs" out of 14 on the album, which is an indication that too much of the Cooder vocals is not a good thing. In Chavez Ravine, he found some fine songs,the best of them written by others, and some fine singers, and assembled a package which was a delight. But since he has decided to do all the composing and all the singing, on Buddy as on Flathead, the magic has,I'm afraid, disappeared. The Johnny Cash song sounds as if it was made up in a bar on a Saturday night -indeed it's almost disrespectful, whilst his obsession with J.Edgar Hoover resurfaces
unnecessarily. And why ration the wonderful accordion player to one song? Arranging new sound combinations, and finding good tales and ,crucially, characterful singers connected to those tales, are what Mr.C. does best,in my opinion.
10 people found this helpful
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 26 June 2008
After a great review in The S. Times, I am disappointed. I guess it's aimed at the 60+ year old American male whose memories will be stirred - but not mine.
The accompanying book is an interesting odd-ball but not enough to warrant buying the CD.
2 people found this helpful