on 8 October 2008
This stuff is great fun. Unlike a material such as playdoh or similar such substances, this science putty is infinitely more interesting.

It exhibits the properties of both a solid and a liquid.
Left on its own on a flat surface, it will flatten down and form a circular 'puddle'.

If you hold it in your hand and very gently squeeze it, it will slowly flow between your fingers - very theraputic!

If you roll it into a ball and throw it at a surface, it displays enormous bounce properties!
You can hit it with a hammer and bits shatter and break off it. - You can also try snapping it in two, and it does indeed sheer off like a solid.
Put it on top of an object and it will slowly 'consume' it, coalescing around the object and enveloping it. All good fun!
0Comment| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2009
I've only been in possession of this ball for a day or two, but it's so much fun. I find myself playing with it even when I'm idly watching TV! The physical properties of the putty is quite astounding - at times it acts like a sort of liquid and takes on the shape of whatever it's placed on top of or forms a 'pool of putty' when left to its own devices in the metal tin. And at other times if you try to punch it or put some kinetic force on it, it acts as a solid.

I love watching it just slowly but surely change shape, and it's really fun when I squeeze it in my hands and let my body heat 'melt' it to kind of stick to my hands. And the putty is incredibly bouncy, the smaller the ball, the more bouncy it is! Overall I'd recommend this, as an inquisitive little wonder or even as a stress reliever.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2011
I got this for Christmas and i'm having executive fun with my executive black science putty. I keep it on my desk at work and it's great as something to mess around with when stuck on a problem, or on the phone with someone unhelpful. It's much more interesting than a normal stress reliever, as you try to break it, stretch it, bounce it shatter it twist it into smart shapes and then watch it melt into a shiny, slick black pool in its tin. Much more interactive fun than... most other things. The only similar item in terms of enjoyment and stress reduction was a magnetic pile of shapes that could be sculpted and arranged in an enjoyable manner. That was probably more artistically enjoyable but less scientifically engaging.

Anyway, to sum up, if you are quite inquisitive, inclined to mess about, fiddle around while on the phone or need something to redirect your mind for a bit, this stuff is great. If you don't like making shapes and sculptures out of blu-tack, maybe this isn't for you...
on 5 April 2012
I own a number of tubs of Thinking Putty, which this is an imitation of. I was given a tub of this by the manufacturers as a gift after complaining about another of their products (Adipose stress toy).

Unlike the slightly more expensive Thinking Putty, the "executive black" version of this putty will stain your hands after use. The original Thinking Putty does not (and I have five different tins of the stuff).

Pay the extra £1 or so and get the good stuff.
on 29 December 2009
My 6 year old had a can of this for Christmas, great fun to play with and within minutes it wa stuck to a new white sweatshirt, the sofa, the carpet and the cat!
This stuff provides you, the adult, so much stress and grief to get rid of. It doesnt come out in the wash after 4 attempts at different temperatures. You cannot freeze the stuff off like chewing gum. you cannot pick it out of soft furnishings and the only way to get it out of the cat was to cut the patch of it out that the cat got on it from the sofa. Inside the tin lid it advises you not to get on clothes and soft furnishings, which in all fairness to kids is nigh impossible when you can tear the stuff and play with it as they do. The lid also advises specialised commercial cleaning of soft furnishings adding that you need to tell the cleaning company its a silicone. The patch cleaning of the carpets and sofa have so far cost £60 and it is still not removed completely.
The cat is not too impressed with its patch of missing fur either. Its a nightmare, and had I had have time to read the inside of the lid on xmas day before it got played with it would have been put out of reach. It now heading to landfill - a bargain stocking filler?.....I dont think so!!!!!
1414 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2011
Hey. I'm 19, and received this as an Xmas present. Have had this product before too. It's a great novelty gift, but the novelty wears out quite quickly. It's fun to play with when you need something to keep your hands occupied, and is a great stress reliever.

But, as said in other reviews, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR SMALL CHILDREN, as it can get very messy and is murder to get off furniture and clothes. It also seems to have stained my hands (not permanently, I'm sure it'll wash off).

Overall, 3*, cute as a stocking filler, but that's all.
on 16 January 2010
This is a bad idea for children. The putty just gets everywhere - on furniture, clothes, carpets and cannot be removed. It is certainly not educational and can't be that much fun because when I told my son I was throwing it away, he didn't care!
on 17 November 2014
I am sure the putty will offer lots of fun; the only disappointing aspect was that since it is a child's toy, I wish I had not been sent black putty. Black should not be one of the colour options as one cannot specify which colour gets sent.
on 30 November 2011
Why can't customers choose the colour they want? I received an 'executive black' blob, hoping for an orange one to give to a friend's kid to play with.

It comes in a tin which is 3-4 times larger that the actual amount of goo you get - very stingy, tiny amount for the money. 40g is about the size of a ping-pong ball. Rip off.

The black stuff looks like some kind of industrial waste to me, (i'm not saying it *is* industrial waste, just that it appears like that to me!). Don't get it on carpets, nightmare. Don't leave in on the mantle piece, it will cover everything. After 'playing' with it myself for a while I decided to just forget about it and put it in the cupboard. Not worth the money, not 'educational' and not 'fun' and in the hands of a 5 year old, potentially disastrous for your carpets!

I'd avoid this stuff. (unless they start packing 160g for the same money, let you choose your colour and you actually have a specific use for it?!)
on 26 November 2009
My son received a tin of Science Putty for his birthday and after the initial novelty of rolling it up into a bouncy ball had worn off, it soon became clear that this was Evil Putty! Before the day was out, it had melted all over his school jumper and his sister's school dress and I can't get it out of either! Don't do it............