on 17 September 2006
Nostalgia is big business these days but I was still surprised to see this hit the top 20 on release last week. After all this band are never mentioned when seventies retrospectives are regularly unleashed on our screens. Nor do they feature in music magazines such as Uncut, Mojo or Record Collector which regularly feature articles of long since disbanded groups.I suppose their brand of soft(sometimes VERY soft) rock is so far out of fashion these days.

It goes without saying that Bread were huge in the early seventies. "Make it With You" was their biggest UK hit and covers of "Everything I Own" and "If" were number one hits for Ken Boothe and Telly Savalas within a six month period in the mid seventies. Their versions are radically different to the originals which are included on this disc.

The band split in 1973 but reunited for a final album in 1976(perhaps they kneaded the dough!-sorry). This compilation, spanning their entire career, was originally released the following year.

We are constantly reminded of how punk killed off a lot of "dinosaur" acts when it burst on the scene in 1977. True it was a breath of fresh air but if you look at the facts-both Yes and ELP scored their biggest UK hits in that year. This compilation originally reached number one and outsold The Eagles and The Sex Pistols in 1977.

By the time of it's release, Bread were no more. Tensions between lead singer David Gates and guitarist James Griffin could not be resolved. However the band reconvened for a succesful reunion tour in 1997. Sadly, any further reunion prospects have disappeared with the deaths of Griffin and drummer Mike Botts both within weeks of each other in the last twelve months.

If you like melodic well crafted songs you can do no better than buy this. Given that other compilations released over the years feature more or less the same songs(1985's Anthology has just one change), I think you can gather from that that this is all the Bread you will need.
on 2 October 2006
This is a fantastic CD, and brought back loads of happy memories of the 70s! All the great songs are there - including If, Make it with you, Everything I Own and Baby I'm a Want You. My only disappointment is that, strangely, someone has decided to replace the lovely song Aubrey (which was on the original Sound of Bread on vinyl) with Just Like Yesterday. It's a nice song but I prefer Aubrey. Buy this album - you'll love it!
on 22 January 2007
I BOUGHT THIS ALBUM BACK IN 1977, AND IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE DIM THE LIGHTS AND LISTEN ALBUMS, WITH TRACKS MAKE IT WITH YOU, IF AND BABY IM A WANT YOU.BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH TONE - DEAF, WHY REMOVE AUBREY. SINCE I STARTED BUYING CDS 20 YEARS NOW,THIS IS ONE ALBUM I HAVE BEEN LOOKING OUT FOR WITH NO LUCK. THEN I NOTICED THAT 'BREADS' ANTHOLOGY CD HAS THE SAME TRACK LISTING AS THE SOUND OF BREAD VYNL SO I GOT THIS CD INSTEAD, SO I NEVER BOUGHT THE SOUND OF BREAD. SO DONT LET ME PUT YOU OFF BUYING THIS CD BUT IF YOU WANT THE SONGS ON THE ORIGINAL BUY THE ANTHOLOGY. THAT IS WHY I GAVE IT 4 STARS WHEN YOU CAN BUY THE 5 STAR ANTHOLOGY.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 June 2016
This is a collection of 20 fantastic songs from 'Bread'. This soft rock band were popular, having several hits, in the 1970's. Their music still sounds fresh today - featuring unique vocal talent, amazing musicianship, and artistic songwriting. If you haven't heard of 'Bread', I recommend listening to such tracks as "If", "Everything I Own" and "Guitar Man" And if you enjoy these, I recommend this album. For those who are already fans, you'll know how great this compilation of tracks really is.

The songs included are: "Make It with You", "Dismal Day", "London Bridge", "Any Way You Want Me", "Look What You've Done", "It Don't Matter to Me", "The Last Time", "Let Your Love Go", "Truckin'", "If", "Baby I'm-a Want You", "Everything I Own", "Down on My Knees", "Just Like Yesterday", "Diary", "Sweet Surrender", "The Guitar Man", "Fancy Dancer", "She's the Only One", and "Lost Without Your Love".

This album was originally released on LP in 1977. The quality of the CD is good.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2015
The Sound of Bread charts the rise of Adult Oriented Soft Rock on US radio through the early to mid 70's. Their gentle sound has echoes of The Eagles in their most laid back moments with a compilation that went to No.1 thanks to major TV promotion in 1977. There are (currently) 10 different 'Best of' style compilations by this seemingly forgotten band, but for me this is still the best choice. Featuring a mix of hit (and miss) singles backed by the best album tracks spanning their six albums, standout tracks are very familiar - but not necessarily in their original forms. Big hits include "Make It With You", "It Don't Matter To Me", and "Baby I'm-a Want You". Also present are "If" (a huge hit for Telly Savalas) and "Everything I Own" ( likewise for Ken Booth). It's lovely relaxing stuff from a sadly forgotten age. On its original release 20 tracks were crammed onto vinyl, now on CD that groove cramming isn't an issue - and at less than a fiver that's excellent value.
on 1 October 2014
I was born in 1968 and grew up with a lot of these songs being played on the radio. This is a truly beautiful album that has such lovely, joyous, lyrical and sensitive songs that I can't helped but be soothed every time I immerse myself in its gentle radiance. The nostalgia factor also plays a big part in my appreciation of this album, that I can't deny. Guitar Man is my absolute favourite song but there are many other songs of a similar quality.

Finally, the recording and production are first class and the whole album has a rich warmth to it when played through a good hi-fi. Listening to many of these songs is a cathartic experience akin to the sensation of crawling under a lovely duvet with a loved one at the end of a hard day and blissfully enjoying each other's presence.

Do yourself a favour, buy this album and feel the love.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 August 2015
This excellent compilation is a classic release, originally hitting the shelves, and the top of the UK album charts as an LP in 1977 on the Elektra Records label, and digitally remastered in 2006 on CD. It was my first introduction to the music of Bread, a four piece soft work group from California. As it says on the front cover, 'The Sound of Bread' collects together 'Their 20 finest songs', and it stays true to this description.

Here you'll find every one of their charting singles from the '70s, including the heart-breaking (and much-covered) 'Everything I Own', written by David Gates about the loss of his father, the dreamy 'Make It With You', utterly gorgeous 'Look What You've Done', and the reflective 'If'. These men had a wonderful laid back sound, pretty much like a slowed-down version of The Eagles, and beautifully crafted music with beautiful lyrics. This is definitely one of those mellow albums that will call you to curl up and relax with, not only in the Summer, but any other time of the year. If this is you're first taste of Bread, with this top compilation, I think you'll enjoy your slice.

If you are someone who cares for liner notes, please note that the CD's booklet contains the very bare mininum.
on 27 April 2015
Music choices are a matter of personal taste. I enjoy a wide genre of music but this album is great for bringing back memories. It's for those times when you are in a more reflective mood and just want some easy listening. This download was excellent value-for-money. It has 20 of Bread's most well known songs. Just great! Ian
on 21 March 2014
The Sound of Bread is an old favourite which I have on vinyl LP, but the CD is more convenient.
The Johnny Cash CD The Rebel is a convenient collection of his generally popular (but not his best) tracks, but OK even if all a bit similar to each other.
on 18 November 2015
Disappointing despite the other glowing reviews. The tracks that are remixed are just not the sound I was expecting and some of the tracks are just awful and I have to skip them. Bread had a mellow sound, this CD is tinny.