Customer reviews

Stephen Stills
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 October 2016
I've enjoyed Stephen Stills for some 50 years, going back to his Buffalo Springfield days. I've recently replaced a number of his albums I had on vinyl with MP3 downloads and to my surprise and delight, so many of the tracks remain as vibrant now as they were when I first gave them a spin all those years back.

This album is his first solo, following Deja Vu, and in my view, it's a belter. It's classic for so many reasons. Love the One You're With will be known to many, but listen again to the backing vocals; Rita Coolidge, Cass Elliott, Graham Nash, John Sebastian are there. It's the only album to feature Clapton and Hendrix on the same album ( it was released not long after Hendrix died). Rings Starr drums on a couple of tracks.

At the time, this was a bit of plastic that blunted my needle. I played both sides over and over and I loved every track. Sometimes you just know that music is great. This is a prime example because 50 years on, it's still fresh and relevant. I bought the CD because it's the cheapest way to buy the digital download ( you get free autorip version). Listening through decent cans, every riff and chord resonates and I'm blown away by the album.
10 people found this helpful
on 22 June 2016
I bought this album out of curiousity. I'm aware Stills is highly regarded and was a crucial player during the CSNY years. I know Neil Young praises him and I loved his vocal contributions to 'Deja Vu' and the live '4 way street'. Having listened to this album 3 times I think it deserves 5 stars, certainly no less than 4.5. This is a cracking album from the singer/songwriter era. It sounds very fresh given it was released in 1970. There's a great mixture of styles and his vocals are fab. He's quite a soulful guy. From the infectious 'Love the one you're with' to the powerful 'Black Queen', he's on top form. Recommended for anyone who likes CSN/CSNY or the folky singer/songwriter stuff.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2013
Stephen Stills was always a major part of what made CSNY so great, and his influence & contribution can naturally be felt in this collection. Many reviewers cite 'Black Queen' as one of the outstanding tracks here, with it's powerful yet moody tone & soaring acoustic guitar work which certainly grabs the attention - a classic track.

There are no weak tracks here though, just a matter of personal opinion as to which are my favourites. The first three tracks are the ones I enjoy the most, with the rhythmic catchiness of 'Love The One You're With' along with the gospel influenced 'Church'. I may be going against the grain a little here, as hardly anyone else has mentioned what happens to be my fave track, which is the beautiful 'Do For The Others' which in my book is Stills at his harmonious best, with haunting vocals & exquisite acoustic guitar - pure gold. The album closes in fine style with the soulful 'We Are Not Helpless' but there's much to enjoy in-between.

Stills is one of popular music's finest singer/songwriter's (with a great voice) who I feel remains underrated, an artiste well worth seeking out by the discerning listener I reckon.
One person found this helpful
on 8 September 2016
It is the toss of a coin between this his debut album or the amazing Manassas album as to which is the best! This album contains a great mixture of acoustic folksy and electric soul/blues tracks.
Superb musicianship and production. Highly recommended!
2 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2016
I am a huge Stills fan. On his tour a few years back in the UK with Crosby and Nash, he stood out with his singing and musicianship and his skill as a songwriter.

This album will not let you down.
One person found this helpful
on 2 July 2014
CSN&Y were always the curate's egg of rock . Both Crosby and Nash could curl the toes of a giant sloth ( try listening to Almost Cut My Hair and Our House respectively ) and the two guitarists from the sadly missed Buffalo Springfield were the real talents . Here Stills escapes and goes it alone . His standing in the musical village is shown by the calibre of the guests who drop in to play . There is not a dud track . Shine on Stephen .
on 15 April 2015
It is a great pity that i had to buy a US download of this album due to Windows trying to force me to use Internet Explorer. As i won't use it, i cannot play these CDs on my computer - having previously put them in my Media Player!! Neither will it allow me to simply play the CD [not rip it].
Luckily this is a great album and worth the extra.
on 18 November 2015
A classic album that sounds as good today as it did forty odd years ago. Bought this copy to replace my aging original after seeing CS&N on their recent tour (magnificent). Great quiet pressing allowing the soulful voice of S to shine through. Wonderful.
on 5 May 2018
Decent stuff from Steven Stills
on 29 December 2010
This is one of these albums that took me a long time to order. I recently was reviewing the Rolling Stone top 500 albums and I was marking those that I was missing in my collection to select the one's that I wanted. Somehow, this one had been eluding me for a while. It is not widely distributed in stores.
This is Stephen Stills at the top of his craft and with friends like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and Booker T helping out, I kept on asking myself what had taken more than 35 years to buy this one.
Highly recommended with a near timeless sound, a rare feat for an album that is not very acoustic in nature.
2 people found this helpful