Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2008
First off, here's the tracklisting:

1. The Champ
13. Ride Your Pony
14. Western Promise
15. Pepsi
16. Mony, Mony
17. The Champ (extended mix)
18. Landscape (extended mix)

When I first heard the song "The Champ" I was blown away -- it really seemed to encapsulate all that the I thought of when I heard the word "funky". So I was very excited to find that the album had been reissued on CD.

When I first listened, however, I wasn't so sure that the rest of the album lived up to the promise of the opener. But I then woke up the next day with all the songs from it going round and round in my head, put the CD on again and it was as though I was hearing them all again for the first time -- I suddenly noticed just how fantastic these tracks are. Since then, this album has hardly been off my CD player; I've listened to it again and again and again.

The songs have brilliantly rhythmic drumming and melodies, lively brass and, of course, some incredible hammond organ playing. Unlike songs that sound exciting when you first hear them and then get boring, you'll never tire of listening to these.

Will make your life a whole lot funkier -- buy it!
on 3 May 2010
I bought several of the tracks off this CD as singles (old 45s) back in the 1960s and today the sound still sounds as good as it did back then. This is instrumental soul at its best and if you can keep your feet still while your are listening to it then you must be dead.
on 20 January 2013
Got into this when I heard Radio 2 play the signature tune. I love funky keyboards etc and was amazed I didn't know The Mowhawks. Delighted then to find that this 1968 album was re-released. It's fab for a bop around your kitchen!
on 27 December 2008
...no stars for the poor sound quality and the dubbing from off centre vinyl which makes this unlistenable. Shoddy.
on 31 December 2015
First heard on Craig Charles funk and soul show it didn't disappoint
infact made it to the New Years Eve playlist :)
on 5 February 2015
For beats freaks only.Forgettable and uninspired...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse