on 6 March 2017
Curved air at their peak
on 10 December 2006
I have the original disc from 1970 and this CD with the last track "Vivaldi with Cannons". At the time I was really taken by the creative and complex nature of this UK band, and the voice (and looks) of Sonja Kristina Linwood. I saw them in Bournemouth in 1971 and was really impressed by the power and drive of their music. Even listening to the CD today I must say Air Conditioning contains a rich collection of different fantastic songs. The CD moves from the intense "It Happened Today", the great violin in "Stretch", the haunting "Situations", and the fantastic "Vivaldi" (and "Vivaldi with Cannons"). It is a shame that the original has not been digitally re-mastered because I think it would sound even more impressive today. This is one of my real favourites of the early 70's.
on 29 November 1999
This is a timeless classic which brought Vivaldi into the popular music arena long before Nigel Kennedy ever picked up a bow. Jazzy electric violin with moody vocals from Sonia Kristina - an original and one for everyone's collection. This is a one-off and has no equal.
on 16 July 2017
I purchased this CD some 8 years ago (it was a favourite when it was originally released on vinyl), listened to it on my CD player (all good), loaded it into iTunes, listened to a selection of the tracks and then left it on the shelf. Only recently when I listened to it again from the beginning on iTunes did I notice the terrible distortion on the first track (the rest were fine). I tried deleting and reloading but still had the distortion on track #1. I tried loading part of the CD and found that whenever I did this the first track loaded had the distortion - even if it had been fine before. I now believe that this is protection against unauthorised copying - even though I bought the CD as new. I AM NOT HAPPY but after 8 years there is little I can do about it.
on 26 April 2009
In the early 1970's a friend of my brother's lent him this record and I could not play it enough.
Progressive folk/rock like I/d never heard before and on a striking picture disc too.
The mixture of electric violins with rock music is simply out of his world.
This remains in my 10 top recordings of all time, at least until I change my mind and recalling it was released in 1970, way before its time including bands like ELO.
Try this album and I'll be very suprised if you don't find it gets your attention and keeps it from beginning to end.
on 31 August 2007
I was a huge fan of Curved Air in the 70's, saw them loads and bought the vinyl. so the oppertunity to own it on CD was a good one. However, please be aware that this is NOT a remastered edition but one that appears to have been taken straight off the vinyl, and not very well. The sound quality is appalling. You have been warned.
22 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2011
I bought this on vinyl when it came out in 1970 and ever since have had a soft spot for Curved Air, so was very pleased to be able to get it on CD. My copy is from Warner Bros. and has the original 10 tracks, including Vivaldi with Cannons and comes with a lyrics booklet. Do check which version you are buying as some appear to leave out this last track. Personally, I am very happy with the sound quality; Darryl Way's violin rasps away and can go right through you at times; Sonja Kristina's voice is very strong and as seductive as when I first heard it as an impressionable 16 year old lad. It Happened Today and Vivaldi particularly stand out but all the tracks are solid with no fillers at all. It is a CD to be played loud. Very prog. Excellent.
on 19 August 2009
Did you have the original on vinyl - with the coloured disc? My boyfriend at the time did - Oh how I coveted it. Ok - so that gives my age away - Memories of being 15 or so. Sonja Kristina still rocks. An early introduction to how pop and calssical could misx - Always did love their Vivaldi. It was a classic of it's time and still sounds good today.
Magical
on 1 September 2009
This is a classic prog rock album from the early 1970's. Curved Air's first four albums are all outstanding. The problem with this re-issue is the anaemic and thin sound quality - the album is crying out to be remastered. Otherwise an unreserved 5 stars.
on 24 August 2013
I first heard Air Conditioning at a friend's house in 1971, on his father's, then up market HiFi and was I impressed!
Early the following year and by now, earning a wage I purchased my own copy and it has remained a favourite ever since.
As most of us eventually did, I purchased the first generation Warner CD and as I have already mentioned on another Curved Air review, this offering was afflicted by a muddy, opaque quietness, so it disappointed from the first play. I have held off till now, buying any subsequent reissue until I noticed that Repertoire had released the Curved Air catalogue. Repertoire had already impressed me with reissues by Amon Duul II and Gentle Giant, so I have now ordered and received the first three and best Curved Air albums.
Repertoire's Air Conditioning is such an improvement on the Mk 1 CD that I have played it four times in the past few days and it sounds so fresh again, like listening to it for the first time, 42 years ago! My favourite track? Platinum Star must go to "Situations".