on 13 March 2014
This is a great horror movie. It has a tense atmosphere following a local disaster and the panic transmits through the diverse mix of characters who are all stuck together in a vulnerable location. As well as a few heroes, there are monsters aplenty outside, not too mention the human "monsters" amid the group. So sit back, turn off the lights (if you dare) and enjoy this film.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 26 June 2012
What can I say, this was a fantastic film that does not conform to the usual Hollywood blockbuster style, but then again it did come from the brilliant mind of Stephen King. Sticking with an ensemble cast style you get a far greater feel for each character, and can love hate and sympathise with them rather than other movies in which character stimulus can be dull. Beautifully portrayed and Frank Darabont has made a wonderful representation of the film just as with Shawshank Redemption.

It is primarily set in a supermarket, and it needn't been set in any more places frankly and rarely diversifies from this, the characters represent different parts of the psyche (although this is how I felt about it), there were the religious arguments, reasoning, stupidity and tact that were each to their own and very well done.

For anyone who wants a nice thrill, with plenty of tension and thought provocation I would recommend for a genuinely fine watch and even the short story it was based on.
on 16 December 2015
This film is all about the ending. Till then its a pretty standard Stephen King, not so much the monsters outside but how the humans react. I think he captures it brilliantly, the brutality of people caught in desperate situations is shown perfectly. He has shown this in many of his books and I'm glad they brought this over onto the screen. As I said though all about the ending, it will stay with you for years.
on 26 February 2015
Very enjoyable film, with a couple of twists at the end.... possibly the most soul destroying and upsetting end to a film I have ever seen. Although the film is partly about the creatures in the mist, it is much more to do with the affect of isolation on humans and their interaction with each other. I strongly recommend watching the B&W version which is on disk 2, and even better still getting the blu-ray version.
on 25 September 2013
I was expecting little more than a pretty good 'B' movie when I bought this, but I ended up completely engrossed in the plot and sub-plots. I was impressed by the acting and well developed characters, and profoundly shocked by an ending I really didn't expect - and I'm pretty good at working out what's going to finally happen. Special effects are brilliant and the overall creepiness is maintained at a good pace. If you like horror with a decent story and good acting, you won't regret giving this a whirl.
on 24 July 2015
Some good extra's on this. But if you're not interested in the extra's.... you can watch it anywhere. So why buy it?

Is it because you're a 90's kid (or older) and in that 90's way you want that blu-ray spine on you're now defunct bookshelf so when someone comes round to your house they may mention it. Is that the only reason you buy blu-rays now? In the hope some old friend, or new acquaintance, may peruse your collection while you're taking a piss and start a drunk conversation about how their Dad loves that film.

If so, don't buy the Mist. You're Dad won't like it. He'll curse you for it. He'll hate how it plays out, how it twists, turns and finishes. The Mist is a film for film lovers, not film watchers. It's not for Dads.
on 20 April 2015
The 'best moden B horror of our time?'
Not quite - because the acting is too good. Pulled from the Theatre rather than Film, the actors grab the characters by the neck and don't let go. Like many of the best, the 'horror' is watching ourselves unravel from the fear of the unknown into base emotions of denial, selfishness and ego. Parallels to modern witch-hunts are acute and uncomfortable. With an ending that was constructed by Darbont because Stephen King's original 'wasn't bleak enough', it leaves me breathless on every viewing.

How raw and nihilistic and un-Hollywood is this? The man behind the multi million dollar cash cow that was The Shaw Shank Redemption could not find a single big name studio to back this financially. Always a good sign....

I have yet to see the Black and White ('as originally intended') version. I look forward to though, it will undoubtably suit the feeling of the film better.
on 4 May 2014
I admire Frank Darabont for not being afraid to buck the trend of happy ending films, the film industry is awash with them, bad things happen in life it's a sad fact, we make decisions along our journey in this world and we have no idea what the outcome is going to be. The ending to this film left me reeling for quite some time.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 January 2013
This is a strange film. It has the look and feel of a made for TV movie but there is something about it that hooks you. The ending is truly gut wrenching and not at all what I was expecting, l too sat through the credits staring at the screen. This film is good, granted it would be better without its Tv feel and rather bizarrely it features many of the cast from the The Walking Dead. I loved it, the use of Lisa Gerrard singing The Host of Seraphim is inspired
on 1 June 2017
Great movie! I had already seen it several times, just wanted it on Blu Ray. Happy Me!
I had wondered if there was an alternative ending, but no. Oh well, still great!