on 17 March 2017
Right... It is 2017... I bought my Stenheiser CX 400 ii around 2012/2013... They have so far outlasted a Samsung Galaxy S2, A Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and are now beating my ears with sweet Bass deeper than the Mariana Trench on my Bang & Oluffsun LG V20's.
Everything is crisp clear, highs, mids... and I swear that they are actually getting better and better with age.
If they ever break... I will cry profusely for longer than a grown man ever should; and then (once I have pulled myself together), will focus all my energy and cunning on obtaining another pair as fast as is possible.
I must have had these snugly in my ears for a few thousand hours (and they are suprisingly not that caked in ear gunk... maybe some self cleaning mechanism designed into them?)

All I can say is to get a pair. 😉👍
on 14 January 2010
The Sennheiser CX 400 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones are top quality and come with a lot of additional ear pieces to suit every size and shape of ear. The sound quality is fabulous and they really do keep outside noise to a bare minimum. I used them recently on an U.S Airways Jumbo Jet and found there to be really effective in drowning out background noise. Made my in flight movie experience much better than normal.
on 15 August 2011
This is my third pair of Sennheiser CX 400 II ear phones, and this is the third time to loose sound in the left earpiece after only a few months of non-heavy use. It seems, reading other reviews, that this is a common problem. Shame, because the sounds is generally excellent with a realtively wide dynamic range.
on 9 December 2011
I'm not going to pretend to be a DJ who knows a heap about sound quality and all that jazz you see in almost every other review, but I'll say this... I've had my share of earphones to a point where I can easily distinguish between good and bad ones.
This is my third pair of Sennheisers and so far I've noticed a pattern in all of them... Bass.
Now, understandably that only matters if like me, you're someone who listens to music heavy with bass but for rock songs and such they're actually pretty good.
The CX400 II are no exception whatsoever to the bassless rule, in fact they're probably the worst so far. I wasn't only disappointed but shocked at the lack of bass these phones have and when I checked my equalizer it was already set on 'Bass Boost'.
I've bought a few previous Sennheisers and as I recall, the bass for them weren't as bad. It seems they're getting worse along the CX series.
That, for me, is the only complaint. The treble of the phones is good and the sound rather clear cut. The noise cancellation isn't bad either and they come with a whole range of buds.
However, if you're someone listening to Bass-heavy music, avoid these.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 February 2010
Great sound quality, however the jack became faulty after only two weeks.
Returned item and recieved a replacement, which also became faulty after only a week.
After doing some research online, this seems to be a common problem with these headphones, so beware.
on 5 January 2010
Only buy these through Amazon direct. I have wasted my time and money buying through the traders and got Soundmagic PL11s and Sennheiser CX500s and both were fakes. I then got CX300s and CX400-iis direct from Amazon and the difference is obvious. Don't be tempted by the lower prices of the traders. It is because they are fake.
The genuine Sennheisers are excellent. Much much better than any standard headphones. They are a little sharp on the high end to start with particularly for rock music but I'm sure they'll settle once burned in. The clarity is impressive though and the base is punchy enough even for a bass head like me. It's crazy not to upgrade to headphones like these: the listening experience is so much better than any standard sets. Oh and I noticed no difference between the 300s and the 400s.
Be warned, buy genuine and don't learn the hard way like I did!
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 October 2009
I have many sets of earphones and have some that I prefer over others. When I bought an iPhone as a replacement to my antiquated iPod I struggled to get and decent warmth and bass in the sound from any of my sets, whilst at the same time keeping tight mids and crisp highs.

Then I discovered the CX400 IIs. They are an excellent set for the money and work very well with the iPhone, allowing excellent sound reproduction without having to resort to the dubious preset EQ options available in the iPhone software. Fit is good, as is the variety of different earbuds - finding the right match for you is very important - and overall aesthetics are very pleasing.

The CX300II is a good set of earphones but the 400CXII beats it in terms or warmth and bass response. If you are interested in Classical or Jazz I would not recommend these, but for all other types of music they are perfect, especailly at this price.
11 Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 December 2010
The sound quality out of these earphones is fantastic. I was absolutely blown away. They completely cut out all the background noise and it literally feels like your head is being filled with music. With sound quality that I have found way superior to the Bose earphones I use, which cost much more, I can't help but think that the technology Sennheiser use is pretty spectacular. But.

I have read numerous reviews on these before purchasing - all reporting a similar fault regarding sound loss. I've experienced this problem before with cheaper models, but thought that if I really took care of them they would be fine.
I'm a bootneck - and I really look after my kit, I use other earphones for when im out running etc, and bought these with the sole purpose of travel (on rail etc).
Having been made aware of their "issue" I've done everthing to ensure that these have been well looked after, doing all but assign them their own room in my house! Call me crazy, but I cant stress that not only have I not had the opportunity to use them often, but they have succome to no wear and stress what so ever!

6 WEEKS!! They have lasted 6 weeks and 4 train journeys. First the left ear went dead shortly followed by the right ear when I tried fiddling with the wire. I think it's unbelieveable and I am utterly disappointed with Sennheiser for releasing such a faulty product for sale.

Don't get me wrong, when they work - they are outstanding, but why waste money when there are more reliable products out there.
on 19 August 2009
Have a pair black Sennheiser Eco phones and quite impressed, but music a little sharp, so bought these '400's'. Very impressive, you certainly feel that not only are you at the recording, but almost in the microphone ! Certainly the best I have used.

Minor gripe : Volume control smooth at low settings but all or nothing at top end. But such things are unimportant, nothing can detract from the quality of sound these little beauties produce. Thank you Sennheiser !
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 December 2010
Being an avid music listener, there hardly goes a day without me spending at least one or two hours listening to my iPod Touch. My previous mobile earphones during the last decade were the Sony EX-series (e.g. MDR-EX71), whose sound quality and isolation I was very happy with. Unfortunately the cables and attachment points seems extremely flimsy on those, and they always kept breaking after about a year or two.

So this time, I thought I would try out something different, and after having read some stellar reviews about the Sennheiser CX400II Precision headphones, I decided to depart from hefty 600 SEK for these (which is approximately 56 GBP) for a set of those. Well, that's what these thingies cost over here in Sweden, folks. And yes, I purchased them from a legitimate major electronic retailer to avoid the risk of buying a sub-par Chinese counterfeit (the originals are actually also made in China, but what isn't). The CX400II is the direct successor of the now discontinued CX500, so I had some pretty high hopes.

Breaking into the solid-welded plastic container without cutting your fingers is a feat in itself and then it is a matter of extracting the earphones without accidentally tearing off the cords or damaging the buds, as they are tightly squeezed into grooves in the container. The build quality of the earphones seems to be of high standard and the cables seem rubbery and robust enough. Of course, only time would tell if they last any longer than my previous Sonys, but the Sennheisers certainly look attractive and solid.

The cable comes with a built-in volume slider, which is a nice bonus, and since it is so small, it hardly adds any weight to the cord. You can attach a clip to the cable if you don't want it dangling free and causing all kinds of annoying "stetohoscopic" noises as all ear-canal buds have a tendency to produce.

The length of the cord (1.2m) is perfect and does not require any extensions whatsoever (woohoo!). By the way, it would be difficult to add an extension anyway, as the connector end of the earphones is a rather hefty L-type connector. Gold-plated too, which is usually a good sign.

Being used to the Sony's assymetrical design (where the cord to the right ear is supposed to go behind the neck), the Sennheiser's symmetrical length takes some time to get used to. Still I can see some good things with Sennheiser's design, as it is less prone to cause an ennerving tugging on the right ear-bud as the cable behind the neck keeps getting stuck against the collar of my shirt or sweater.

The package comes with the ubiquitous triple set of earbuds (small, medium and large), both the normal ones, but also ones with double flanges, which are supposed to enhance the sonic isolation and add some extra bass. For me however, the normal medium sized buds already pre-attached to the earphones were just perfect and very comfortable, and I saw no reason to change them. A plastic carrying pouch and plastic winder (basically just a piece of plastic with two dimples for the earbuds) is also included. The pouch can be useful, but I am unable to get the winder to work, and I might as well wind the earphones around the iPod itself.

So far everything seems fine. So let's get to the most important part: the sound quality.

Well, just as expected, there is plenty of bass. A lot of it. Most of the time it is quite well controlled, melodious and punchy, but sometimes it seems to bloom out a bit too much for my personal taste. The mid-range is there and also the treble - but there is something about the balance between the frequency ranges that for my ears just feels... wrong.

First I thought that it was just the slightly overenthusiastic bass and middle range, but paying some attention to the sounds of e.g. cymbals and voices, it quickly became apparent that there is also a profound rolloff of the frequencies in the very uppermost end of treble zone, somewhere above 12 kHz or so. This causes a strangely lacklustre and non-sparkling soundscape, something I definitely didn't quite expect from these phones.

Setting the iPod's equalizer to the Treble Booster setting salvages most of the situation, but only to the expense of a slightly metallic sound that becomes a bit tiresome after a while. This may be a personal issue, but because of this, I find it hard to give the CX400II's a four star rating. It should be kept in mind that the membranes of this type of earphones are rather stiff directly from the factory and need to have a certain break-in period before they reach their optimal sound quality. In this situation however, the normal break-in period of a week did not perform any miracles, the brilliance without EQ was still more or less absent.

A few other observations: these earphones have a 16 Ohm impedance, meaning that they are very easily driven, and as a result they can play surprisingly loud - it would be directly foolish to try to use the max volume of the iPod. They also seem to have a higher degree of sound leakage than my previous phones, so you may need to think about that if you wish to play music without annoying the people around you.

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of perceived brightness, but even with this in mind, the CX400II's are vastly better than your average consumer level earphones. They are capable of delivering a precise and clear sound - at least with the gentle help of a friendly equalizer.

EDIT:
======
After a few weeks I got a bit annoyed with the lack of brilliance of the CX400II's and decided to try out the Sony MDR-EX500LP's, and yeah, what can I say. It's definitely more pricey but also a radical step up in performance.