Customer reviews

David Ackles
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 October 2017
The late David Ackles was a singer-songwriter who certainly influenced a lot of other musicians, but sadly never sold many records in his career. Elton John and Bernie Taupin were so taken with him, that Taupin ended up producing his third album, 'American Gothic'. This is his debut album, and it's a real beauty; Ackles has a deep, sonorous voice, and he writes in a refreshingly simple style. This album contains 'Down River', which was covered around the time by several acts, including Spooky Tooth, and it is one of the saddest, most melancholic songs you'll ever hear. It's about a bloke who goes to jail, and on his release meets up with his old girlfriend, who has now moved on, and got married to someone else. It's the stoicism, and the deep, yearning quality of the lyric, and Ackles' delivery that makes it so special. 'Road To Cairo', once covered by Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger, is another gem. You owe it to yourself to get this, if you have a penchant for Leonard Cohen, Janis Ian, Scott Walker - it's mesmerising, beautiful stuff. I got mine on vinyl, too, and it sounds great.
on 12 December 2013
Classic. I bought the original vinyl when it came out in the late 1960's and loved it and was pleased to find a CD copy so many years later. Not for listening to every day, but special. Iconic even.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 17 June 2017
Great
on 18 August 2016
cool
on 26 July 2015
V. Good
on 5 September 2007
I'm putting this here to boost the star rating, absurdly reduced by the 1-star review from Ms Felicia. Her description is accurate, but for me that's what makes this a 5-star album, in fact I'd put it in my top 10 of all time, up there with Songs of Leonard Cohen and Closer.
By the way, I believe this CD has the channels reversed (not that your enjoyment / misery will be reduced), this was corrected on the 2CD complete Elektra recordings which was due out recently but has mysteriously disappeared.
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 November 2011
This album is a perfect accompaniment for those times when you feel the need for a period of quiet contemplation and reflection. I first heard David on The Old Grey Whistle Test, and immediately bought the album on vinyl. Some decades later I still have it, and still listen to it.
on 24 May 2012
I played this album in the early 70's until the grooves were smooth - just rediscovered it. 'Down River' my favourite, and of course 'Road to Cairo'. A mystery to me that major success eluded him, though influencing the likes of Leonard Cohen Randy Newman and Tim Buckley definitely qualifies as a success. So glad I found it.
on 23 October 2004
This album must remain David Ackle's ultimate including as it does the quintessential "Down River" and "Road to Cairo". It is however noteworthy that in the late sixties, when I first purchased these tracks, (I still have the vinyl) that "Road to Cairo" was entitled "La Route a Chicago" and was in French. So what? I hear you ask. Only that Ackles sung in with much more force, almost as soul. I understand it is unavailable in French which is a great pity. The album deserves his much belated - and posthumous - praise.
9 people found this helpful
on 5 May 2010
First record of David Ackles and his best
Five stars to balance also 1 star, 4 and half would be more accurate.
That bluesy guitar (I grew up with Hendrix, Cream and the likes) may be is too much but the songs of David talk to the soul - music and words, the voice is good and the keyboards and the rhythm section are appropriate.
My own opinion: Ackles did not find his sound, being honest to follow his desire of music with big band, missing success and shortening his career.
However for me this first record remains a "bedside record".
P.S.: This record here is impressive, beautiful, and not so sad and to mention: music varies from, say : from the rubettes to Stockhausen, we have the choice and it is more a question of quality than genre.
2 people found this helpful