Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 13 January 2001
When I bought "Hybrid Theory" I didnt quite know what to expect, but I know I didnt expect it to be so good. Chester Bennington's vocals are perfectly complemented by Mike Shinoda's rhymes. I thought it would be like Chino Moreno and Fred Durst joining together in the same band, and both canceling each other out, wanting to be top dog of the band. This could not be further from the truth. Neither vocalist wants to steal the show, and both get a fair amount of play during each track on the CD (except "Cure For The Itch"). Bennington's vocals are immaculate, with soaring screams to soothing lines. His voice is so dynamic and adds a extra dimention to what some other bands dont have. To mix it up furthermore Shinoda's rapping opens up a floodgate to what styles this band can take onboard. The music seems to be heavily influenced by hardcore and industrial rock, with a large slab of hip-hop added by DJ Joseph Hahn. His sampleing and timing is perfect overshadowing the likes of DJ Lethal. The riffs supplied by Brad Delson are heavy and are very catchy. The drumming supplied by Rob Bourdon is again heavy and sounds... well... great. This is a band which is going to go very, very far. I would reccomend this album to my pearents (well maybe not), or anyone who likes any form of rock music (except big indie fans). The next Nirvana have arrived.
on 17 October 2001
After hearing the singles and a reccomendation from a friend i went and bought this album. Most nu-meatl albums i've listened to the tracks are never as good as the singles, but this album all the tracks are amazing you are blown away by them. They all ahve great lyrics especially "In The End" and "Forgotton" compared to other nu metal bands who just swear. When you listen to it, not just one or two tracks stay in your head, they all do. It starts with "papercut" - a very catchy fast track then goes onto "one step closer" a heavey track which is exellent. then goes on to "with you" which has some amazing singing and is one of the best tracks on the album. "crawling" which appears later on the album is another example of great singing. "In The End" is truly the greatest song on the album it has everything - great singing, catchy chorus, heavey beat and some on the decks. "Forgotton" is one of the heavey true nu-meatl tracks. Then there is "Cure For The Itch" which shows the band's dj's talents. Overall truly amazing album. i don't suggest this i say it is essential.
on 2 June 2004
This was linkin parks first album, and I must say it is truly great, it has a perfect mix of rock and rap and its packed with emotion.
1) Papercut - This is probably my favourite track, its a sort of song that you want to sing along to. I reckon it brings out paranoia in everyone. The fast music and lyrics are really catchy lyrics get you humming it all day. (10/10)
2)One step closer - This is a very good song and is another one to get you singing in your head all day, the slow lyrics go well with the music. You may find yourself humming " One step closer to the edge...." all day!(9/10)
3)With you - This song sounds like no other on the album and though there is some loud beats in it, it is still a romantic and moving song. It can bring out the anger in you as well as the love!(9.5/10)
4) Points of authority - The simple rap at the beggining will have you mouthing along with the words as they are so easy to remember. (9.5/10)
5)Crawling - One of my favourite tracks, it may be one of the loudest ones but it is very good and the contrast between the loud chorus and the slow but moving verses are great, especcially when they build the music up getting louder and heavier as it gets towards the chorus. (10/10)
6)Runaway - I have never really heard this track being talked of much but it has a catchy chorus and brings out emotion and perhaps anger inside you. (9/10)
7) By myslef - I'm not much of a fan of this song as I don't like the chainsaw sort-of sound at the beggininng, I reckon it would be better without it but the lyrics are great. (7/10)
8) In the end - I heard this song way before I got the album and its catchy and you will find yourself thinking about it. The lyrics are quite slow but the background mucis is really good. Its one of those songs you feel you can relate to , it says "I tried so hard, and got to far, but in the end, it doesn't really matter" (9/10)
9) A place for my head - The begginng is great with the hard drum beats, the lyrics are fast but the music isn't that much. I like it when they say "I wanna be in the energy, not with the enemy"its very catchy . The use of echo in the background makes it haunting and agressive in a good way. The "You try to take the best of me, go away" is great becuase it mixes well with the loud strumming guitars in the background. (9/10)
10) Forgotten - The beggining is loud and fast rapping, its very good and has a slightly red hot chilli peppers sound, the lyrics are fast and the music is quite slow and quiet, but gets louder when it says "from the top to the bottom..." (9/10)
11)Cure for the itch - This song has no lyrics but it doesn't need any, its perfect without them and just as good as any other.Joe hahn works it perfectly. (9/10)
12) Pushing me away - I must admit im suprised that this song is at the end becuase it is brilliant. Its the same with their other album 'Meteora'. Numb is at the end even though it is an incredible song! (9.5/10)
Thats it for now folks. Just like to say that this album is a great buy if you like rock and meaningfull, powerful lyrics and music. Also I love Chester Bennington (lead singer) he is the best singer ever!!!!
on 23 August 2001
I heard One Step Closer and Crawling on the radio and MTV. I was going to buy them as singles, like I normally do, but a friend of mine recommended the album to me. After shedding out the cash for it, I shove it in my CD player. It blew me away. Normal albums give you a few songs worthy of single-release, whereas this whole album is worthy (except "Cure for the Itch", which I think belongs at the end, labelled 'bonus track'). Favourite tracks of the album will vary, depending what mood you're in, but there's a definite feel to it - you could easily hear a new track by them on the radio and be able to say "That's Linkin Park" because they are almost a style in themselves. Mike and Chester provide amazing vocals that complement each other really well, and the lyrics would stand as brilliant poetry by themselves. One of the best things about this album, for me, is the complete lack of swearing in it. It's load music without the swearing, which is all too often an oxymoron these days. It's a really good debut album, and I just hope they do more - I sure think they have the talent for it.
on 25 August 2015
This is my faverite album of all time. I lost my iPod and had to re-buy my my unbackedup songs. Of course my faverite would be one of the CDs I could not find. So I got it and listened to it song from song and just let it repeat a couple of times. It is just that Awsome!!

Truly a hybrid of musical talents blended perfectly together. From rock guitar, to bass guitar, to Chesters incredible metal vocals, to Mikes rapping, and Mr Hans turntables work/mixing. Just a great mixture even better than the sum of its parts. This is a must have album in whichever format you want to own it.
on 28 August 2005
Being a fan of Linkin Park, I thought this album was great. Disk 1 is the album hybrid theory (I won't repeat what the other reviewers have already said). I would rate this part only 3 stars, I prefer LP's Meteora.
However, listening to Disk 2, which includes 'High Voltage' and 'My december', made me change my mind. These songs are actually taken from Linkin Park's orginal album, Hybrid Theory EP (which not many people know about). Unfortuately, H.T EP is very hard to get hold of now unless you're willing to pay very large amounts of money for it, so this is the next best thing.
on 5 August 2012
Linkin Park were originally called 'Hybrid theory' but had to change their name due to another band already having an identical name. Hybrid theory is an incredible album! This band are hugely talented and it shows throughout the mix of songs. They are definitely the best band of the Nu metal genre and this debut album is 1 of the best debut albums I have ever heard. I bought this album after Minutes to midnight and I wasn't sure about the band at that point because I loved Meteora but after hearing this album I fell in love with the band all over again.

The band are talented musicians but instead of a straight-forward metal sound the band mix it up with Joe Hahn on turntables and have little electronic beats and clever pieces. That's what makes them unique.

The singles from the album are fantastic; Papercut, Points of authority, One step closer, In the end and Crawling (my favourite with its soft verses and powerful chorus). The rest of the songs are also strong, powerful, deep, emotional and aggressive numbers that are easy to relate to. My favourite non-single being With you. Chester's an incredible vocalist and really shows it off on this album with screaming vocals and soft, melodic singing. Mike is a pretty great rapper and the mix of the 2 is perfection! The songs are pretty intense and really move you as a listener.

This is Linkin Park pretty much at their very best! As far as I'm concerned everything after Meteora pales in comparison to this masterpiece!
on 8 August 2004
After hearing this I was officially a Linkin Park FREAK and felt honoured bragging them up to friends and family
Papercut - 10/10 Insanely fantastic lyrics and riffs
One Step Closer - 8/10 So catchy and aggressive with (at the time) the most original bridge around
With You - 5/10 Kinda average but still better then any rnb song
Points of Authority - 8/10 - Amazing intro with brilliant riff
Crawling - 8/10 The song that made me buy the album. Nuff said
Runaway - 5/10 Im not keen on it
By Myself - 8/10 Classic intro with great chorus. Chester rocks on this song!
In The End 7/10 - Seriously grows on u
Place 4 My Head - 8/10 Way underrated brilliant bridge and the ReAnimation remix is one the best sounds from any LP song
Forgotten - 7/10 Great verses but repetetion of pre-chorus is kinda annoying
Cure 4 The Itch - 6.5/10 - Very original and lets Joe Hahn work his magic
Pushing Me Away - 8/10 Brilliat finale to the kick ass album of 2000/2001.
Fantastic album that still sells 4 years on. Could not recommend it more. Buy now!
on 22 July 2005
I absolutley love this album, it's one of a few albums I'll listen the whole way through without getting bored. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge Linkin Park fan at first I wasn't too sure about the band myself. I first got wind of Linkin Park after seeing the "One Step Closer" video, I thought it was amazing but I wasn't sure I would like the other songs on the album. But I bought it anyway and I'm glad I did. I, personally, could really relate to the songs and with the intelligent and well thought of lyrics and amazing mix of metal and rap with the unbelievable singing voice of Chester Bennington, hip hop and rhyme vocals taken on by the multi-talented Mike Shinoda, awesome DJ mixing from Mr. Hahn, Rob Bourdon taking it to the drums and Phoenix Farrell and Brad Delson showing everyone how it's done on bass and guitar. Hybrid Theory is an enjoyment to listen to from "Papercut" to "Pushing Me Away". Okay, now to give my views on the songs and their meanings. Please note that the views of the meanings of these songs by me are not necessarily of the views others or Linkin Park themselves. It's the way I see them and others might feel the same about the songs...
1) Papercut - 9/10: The first song on the album, this one takes a look at the paranoid side of the brain which I'm sure alot of us do feel from time to time.
2) One Step Closer - 10/10: For me, the best song on the album, I really like this one, it seems to talk about being hurt by someone. This was the song that got me into Linkin Park in the first place and has remained my favourite.
3) With You - 7/10: Not the best song on the album but good lyrics all the same. This one seems to be about being hurt by someone but still caring for that person no matter what.
4) Points Of Authority - 9/10: A song showing an angrier side of Linkin Park, being hurt by someone and kinda feel like you've been used. Great track!
5) Crawling - 9/10: Great song. It talks about being really uncomfortable in a certian situation and feeling totally insecure. One of the songs where Chester holds the notes for a long time and really well.
6) Runaway - 8/10: This song seems to reflect on not being understood, getting so ticked off with it all and just wanting to be left alone.
7) By Myself - 8/10: A song which shows alone someone can feel (obviously by looking at name of the track) and not being able to be yourself with the people around you.
8) In The End - 10/10: I think anyone who's ever listened to the album likes this song. Well, people I know anyway. But it really is a good song. Chester and Mike's voices go with the song beautifully. I guess this one talks about really trusting and caring for someone but that person never fully understood you.
9) A Place For My Head - 9/10: A song which says that you really cared for someone and tried to be there for them but then they just threw it back in your face and in the end you just want to take a break from it all.
10) Forgotten - 9/10: I really can't think of a meaning for this song but it's great nonetheless. The lyrics go really well with the music.
11) Cure For The Itch - 7/10: This is Mr. Hahn showing off his great DJ skills.
12) Pushing Me Away - 9/10: The final song on the album and really enjoyable. This talks about doing anything to just be able to be with someone but that person is alway...well...pushing you away.
Well, hope you find this review helpful and if you didn't...just buy the album anyway!
on 15 January 2002
Most albums in the charts are good but lack one major thing, you may like one or two songs but the others are not half as good. This however, is not the case with Hybrid Theory Linkin Park's debut album which has remained in the top 25 in the albums chart for 14 months. This is quite an acheivement for a music world dominated by pop groups and boy bands. The album contains four top twenty hits papercut, in the end, crawling and one step closer with a new release due in the coming month. This is the first album that I have ever bought that I can listen to constantly without the fear of becoming bored. The mixing of rock and rap without the swearing that is commonly associated with most rock groups albums. Also there is none of the customary shouting or screaming and generally nothing that would make you cover your ears. I think that you do not have to be a fan of rock music to enjoy this album and I urge anyone who is tempted to go and buy this album as it will be money well spent.