on 12 June 2014
Firstly I would just like to say that this is the first Black Stone Cherry album I have owned. I've known about the band for a number of years and have finally decided to get my hands on one of their albums. So please bare in mind this review comes from a newcomer to the band.

Back in 2008 I happened to catch these guys at the Download festival. I had never heard of them until this, the set was fun and lively and they put on a really good show. Later again I happened to catch two of their songs on YouTube as I was browsing around. These were 'Blind Man' and 'Things My Father Said'. I enjoyed both of these songs but time passed and I never gave them a second thought.

A few weeks back I was browsing through some local live shows and up pops Black Stone Cherry. I love live music and I love this type of band so I thought I'd go and catch them when they came to my city. Not wanting to go into the gig completely ignorant of the music, I thought I'd pick up an album to get familiar with them. I chose 'Foklore and Superstition' just because it had the only two songs I could remember from years before.

As a rock guitar album it's not too bad. The songs can be quite enjoyable, there are some good guitar riffs here. Chris Robertsons vocals are top notch and extremely powerful. 'Blind Man' still is a favourite of mine, its energetic and does get me singing along when it comes on.

Unfortunately most of the songs, though enjoyable, for me are very forgettable. I found the songs began to bleed into one another and I could never distinguish between most of them. And although the vocals are extremely powerful, lyrically the songs aren't amazing. It feels like at times the lyrics were thrown into the song right at the end with not much thought. One example of this is with the song 'Please Come In', the music here is very good but the lyrics just feel more like an after thought than a premise for the kind of song it is supposed to be.

So overall I have given this a 3/5. Losing 1 star for forgettable songs and 1 for forced lyrics. I completely understand not everyone will agree with my thoughts here, and as I said before this is my first look properly at the band. I am purely and outsider coming in to see what they are all about. And although I did enjoy them to an extent, I don't think this band is for me. However with that said, I may change my mind and pick up something else by them at a later date.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 December 2008
Kentucky's Black Stone Cherry's debut album, released in 2006, was absolutely fantastic - a breath of southern-fried fresh air with huge riffs, powerful vocals, sizzling guitar solos and wonderful melodies and, I'm pleased to say, their second album, 'Folklore & Superstition', pretty-much continues where their debut left off, apart from, perhaps, being (only very) slightly less heavy and maybe a tad more commercially-minded - I have to say that during the insanely catchy 'Soul Creek', they drift dangerously close to Bon Jovi territory, although Bon Jovi never sounded quite as heavy as this. It may be that this album suffers a little by comparison - the debut was an extremely hard act to follow - and yet, if you had never heard of Black Stone Cherry before, this particular album could be just as good an introduction to their music as the debut.

So, who do they sound like? Well, without wanting to sound facetious, they sound like themselves. Black Stone Cherry have enough of a varied sound and mixture of styles to allow themselves never really to be pigeon-holed into sounding like a copy of any one band. I suppose, during their heavier moments, they sometimes remind me of 'Vs.'-era Pearl Jam, without the downer lyrics or vocals, of course or perhaps even the first Audioslave album ('Long Sleeves', especially). The standout tracks, for me, are the storming 'Blind Man', the radio-friendly light and shade of 'Please Come In', the heavy-riffing dark-but-melodic metal of 'Reverend Wrinkle', the adrenaline rush of 'Devil's Queen' and, perhaps the best track on the album, 'Ghost Of Floyd Collins', which could easily be an Ozzy Osbourne classic.

Other tracks such as the albeit very pleasant and touching 'Things My Father Said', the anthemic 'Peace Is Free' and the perhaps slightly formulaic 'You' do take Black Stone Cherry a little close to rock ballad cliché in musical terms, but, on balance, you would have to say that the lighter songs help to break the album up and avoid an overload of out-and-out rockers, even though it is most certainly during the heavier moments that Black Stone Cherry truly shine. Having said that, I don't want to sound overly critical, because there is nothing actually terrible on this record and this is more than a worthy follow-up to their debut. Indeed, providing they concentrate on their bluesy heavy rock sound and they are able to reproduce the magic they undoubtedly captured on their first album rather than expanding on the more commercial side they have revealed here, this is a band who could easily be a major name in hard rock in years to come.
on 3 September 2008
Another good album, again not very original but the songs are good enough as long as you don't take your lyrics seriously. Similarly to the last album it's nothing groundbreaking, taking obvious influences from the whole classic rock spectrum but this time the lyrics are even more cheesy.....in fact they are a constant stream of classic rock cliches and about as deep as Britney Spears memoirs.

That should not detract from the fact that the album is very listenable and i'm sure will be fantastic live.

It's worth ignoring any southern rock references. I'm not suggesting they are not from the South as that's a geographical fact, it's just some of the reviews i've seen seem to name check Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet. I'll concede one line in 'Devil's Queen' does say 'down by the muddy banks of the bayoux,' and there is a bit of Skynyrdesque soloing at the end of the same song, but on that qualifying critera you may as well call Metallica a southern rock band because they covered Tuesday's Gone.
on 5 January 2012
This is Black Stone Cherry's finest hour I think.
They've really delivered on this album and unlike the other album that I reviewed its not too mellow. It's a bit more heavier.
Peace is Free is my favourite song on this album, although the most calmest of songs on the album, but has the most meaning for me right now and I often put this song on when reminders and struggles come along from very recent deaths close to me.

But on a brighter note, I would most definitely recommend this, ,it's less Nickelback and more Shinedown.

Plus I am pretty sure they're touring this March 2012.
on 8 November 2017
incredible album,i love every track on it
on 3 May 2010
their debut cdBlack Stone Cherrywas good & certainly worthy of the title best debut from such a young band [their average age was 17]. Well you are in for a pleasant surprise because this excels even that one. From the 1st track[Blind man] to the last one[Ghost of Lloyd collins] it is southern rock at its best , even excelling early Lynyrd Skynyrd?? . Now i not a big fan of southern rock but this i do make an exception for , i was in the belief that after Lynyrd Skynyrd southern rock was a wash out , but listen to this and like me you will be made to eat your words. AMAZING.
on 18 March 2012
I was introduced to BSC by my eldest son a few months ago. Excellent choice of music and some really great tunes.

My favourite tracks are (in no particular order) Blind Man, Soul Creek, Rev Wrinkle, Devil's Queen and the Ghost of Floyd Collins.

Difficult to make a comparison with another band; lead vocalist Chris Robertson has a great rocker's voice. All in all an excellent album worthy to add to anyone's collection.

Check out their version of Rollin in the Deep on You Tube.......it's how it should be played.
on 24 March 2017
Well written, sung, played, oh and brilliant.
Well recommended.
on 10 April 2017
Has the track "Blind man" on it. This has become a new favorite song for me and others I had to share it with.
Good album from a great band if you like hard rock. Can listen to album start to finish without complaint and pumped!
on 26 January 2015
A very solid follow-up to Black Stone Cherry's first album, the song-writing takes a more serious twist on this album. With more songs reflecting upon an emotional meaning to the band. The only snag compared to the first album, is that this record tends to take a turn for the somewhat depressive end. At points however, the record overall is very strong and it is essential for any Black Stone Cherry fan.