Customer reviews

Good music thank you
on 16 October 2015
Brilliant
on 25 September 2016
Since I'm reviewing SP albums in backwards chronological order, it's fascinating to see the thematic differences between this album and "Fallen Empires." While I said in my review of "Fallen Empires" that the overarching theme seemed to be about finding one's center in the midst of vast distances, here, in this earlier effort, the lyrical "I" is still seeking its center but is caught up in connection--one might even say identification--with others or another, while being tossed and torn apart by titanic forces. Most of the songs have an "I" and a "You," the latter being both support (e.g., in "Disaster Button") and threat (as in "Engines") to the former. Even as the songs' lyrical "I" struggles to find its footing in its relationships and define itself in relation to the other, the natural world looms large, with songs such as the incredible "Lifeboats" and the beginning of the final stunning 16-minute "The Lightning Strike" depicting a tiny individual in a heroic search for safety and connection against a backdrop of enormous and overwhelming external nature and internal emotion, which bleed together. The effect of these two songs in particular is to transform ordinary love stories into a mythic quest; I can't help but think for some reason of both "Beowulf" and some of the more esoteric "Moomin-Troll" stories whenever I hear "Lifeboats"--it strongly evokes a heroic quest against a Nordic background of sea and ice for me. In the concluding part of "The Lightning Strike" the search of the lyrical "I" is rewarded with stillness in the center of the storm and the finding of its north, finally returning to earth after the initial launch of the opening track, "If there's a Rocket Tie me to It." The effect on the listener is both draining and uplifting, as we return to earth as well. As a scholar of poetry I could say so much more about the album, as the lyrics cry out for a more in-depth formal and thematic analysis, but I will content myself with what I've said and hope it suffices for the moment. This is not a simple album, but in my opinion it may be SP's best and one of my personal favorite albums of the past decade.
on 18 October 2016
Amazing album!!!
on 9 February 2009
I found with Final Straw and with Eyes Open that I liked only a couple of songs immediately. The rest grew on me as I continued to listen, until I wondered how I could ever have not liked them. Perhaps because it's Snow Patrol that really got me into the alternative rock genre and my taste in music has changed a lot since I first heard their previous albums, I found that I loved A Hundred Million Suns much more quickly than I did the previous two. I was a little nervous about getting this, because rarely have I encountered a band that hasn't peaked long before they produced their fifth album, but alternatively, the reason I adored this immediately may just be that they keep getting better and better.

There were still tracks that stood out to me - the uplifting Crack the Shutters, the dreamy Lifeboats and my personal favourite, The Golden Floor, which I find I just have to tap my fingers along with - but every track on this album is wonderful, with the thoughtful lyrics and the beautiful composition which I have come to expect from them. At the same time, though, it's not too reminiscent of anything they've done before. I would thoroughly recommend it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2008
My first "contact" with SP was "Eyes open": I inmediately loved the album, as it pushed me to buy the previuos ones. I must confess that the two first collections were not of my taste, except for a very few songs, but "Final straw" finally threw me to the Patrol's feet and songs like "Chocolate", "Run", "How to be dead", "Spitting Games or "Somewhere a clock is ticking" became a part of my being. This last "One hundred million suns" is as good as the previous two and even better, at least for me; I find a good bunch of great songs all along the set, most of them being better than the hit single "Take back the city": "Crack the shutters" recovers the spirit of my personal fav of all SP songs, "Chocolate", I trace influences of U2 and Coldplay in several tracks, like "Engines" or "If there's a rocket...", also love "Please just take...", "Disaster button" or the first and the final parts of "The lightning strike", the rest of tracks keep a very good level. I've listened to the album many many times, and each time I find new things that make me love it deeper and deeper, specially "If there's a rocket tie me to it": it must be the next single.
on 17 March 2009
I'm actually suprised this wasn't the title of the album - maybe another artist had a copyright on it? But this is the title of the epic 16minute song in 3 parts that ends the album (I just saw them live at the O2 and this song is played as the encore in its entirity!). Although it sounds very different the idea/theme and scope reminds me of the Dark Side of the Moon in that it and the beatiful video that played behind them has a common theme (stars, sunlight, the earth - just no Moon!).
I really hope they release part 3 of this song as a single - with parts 1-3 as a "B Side" - and then stick the video out on DVD single too :)
What's weird is that being at the end of the CD it would normally get the least play time - but having seen it live it's rocketed to become my favourite track.
Golden Floor is probably my 2nd favourite... it has a haunting vocal that is just beautiful. The others (the singles) would then complete my list of other favourites - all are excellent, though not quite up there with the best from the other 2 albums.
on 26 October 2008
Ok so there are going to people out there that will knock this record before they have even heard it, the build them up knock them down mentality has befallen Snow Patrol and the band that it's ok to like has become the band its fashionable to hate. But after their last album which tried to hard to recreate the success of `Run' it is with out hesitation that I can say this record is a return to form and the best since `Final Straw'. Yes the tracks are ludicrously catchy sing-a-long and radio friendly but they also have some great depth to them. `Crack the shutters' is a genuinely honest love song `the sun seems to want you as much as I want you' Gary sings beautifully. First single `Take back the city' shows the band have lost none of there rock/pop sensibilities and sure to be single `Please just take these photos from my hands' is another fine example. Right from the opener `If there's a rocket tie me to it' with its `fire, fire you can only take what you can carry' refrain up to the 16 minute closer `The lightning strike' this is pure Snow Patrol and will see fans lap it up like a cat with spilt cream. There are still ballads like `Set down your glass' and `The planets bend between us' which aren't as strong as some of the others but it's the closing track that shows us the band are not afraid to experiment and challenge themselves, told in three parts the piano drives the melodies across which the band flow with great ease and it contains some of Gary's best lyrics yet. With Jacknife Lee (U2, Bloc Party, Rem) at the helm this will be the bands most commercially successful album to date but that doesn't mean you can't love it. I'm not ashamed to say I do.
on 6 February 2010
I think this is Snow Patrol's best album yet. Snow Patrol are brilliant at writing good lyrics and amazing tunes. I have favourite songs from their previous albums such as Chocolate, Run, Shut Your eyes, Make this go on forever and I loved the albums they were on but the songs on those albums didn't seem to fit together as well as this one. The songs on this album seem to be part of one story and in my opinion that is what makes a good album. Although Crack the Shutters and If there's a rocket tie me to it are immediate standouts however if you're looking for a song as big as Run or Chasing Cars you could be disappointed. But if you're looking for an album full of quality music this is for you. Apart from Lifeboat and The Golden Floor, I especially recommend "The Lightning Strike", the lyrics are fantastic (far more imaginative and poetic than most rock bands out there) and intertwine with the music so well. I'd say this 3-part song is their best yet and is of pure genius.