on 3 December 2017
It takes a fair amount of time to document how an item puts up to the test of purpose after purchasing and if it really is as good as it states, but I managed to make my mind up in less than a week.

I got into my laboratory first thing Thursday morning and was playing around with some thermocouple readers and finally found one I was happy with, a tested & calibrated unit with a new battery.

12pm at around lunchtime I filled the flask up with boiling water straight out of the kettle, enough to get right to the top of the flask and I shut the lid and allowed the heat of the water to dissipate through the flasks metal chamber and warm the unit up internally for around 5 minutes, I put the kettle back on to a boil and as soon as the button clicked I emptied the water out of the flask and re-filled the flask up, creating a good seal and let it sit for 24 hours in my 20*C ambient temperature laboratory before opening back up and taking another measurement.

Friday lunchtime I got my thermocouples ready and opened up the flask at 12:05pm (24 hours after filling) and put the thermocouple inside the flask, with a temperature reading of 68.9*C the water was still steaming and was far too hot for me to drink.

To then accurately repeat this process and get a measurement of the water that went in, I simply repeated my first step but instead of letting the water sit for 24 hours, I took a reading as soon as I filled the flask up. Which was 96.4*C straight from the kettle.

96.4*C - Start Temp

68.9*C - End Temp

96.4*C - 68.9*C = 27.5*C heat loss in 24 hours.

So around 1*C heat loss an hour.

The thermos flask works, it holds heat for 24 hours, it does exactly what it needs to do and meets the stated time.

I still need to do a 24 hour cold temperature test but I may wait until the summer to do that.

And of course I gave it a good test on the lake today fishing, with great results there too.

I hope you enjoyed my review and found it helpful.
review imagereview image
on 21 November 2017
Absolutely brilliant so far. It's the best flask I've ever had. I can make a flask of tea in the morning for work and when I come to wash it out the next morning a full 24 hours later it's still lukewarm. It stays red hot throughout the day. I normally have to put some cold water in, so it's drinkable when I pour it out. The flask it’s self looks fantastic. It came with Prime on time and undamaged as always. I think it probably stays “hot” for longer than the 9 hours it says.

The only negatives I can see are as some people have pointed out is the handle and the paintwork. The handle basically has some movement in it so wouldn’t be great if you are old and frail or a young child. It is fine for a normal adult. The paintwork does scratch quite easily. I have dropped it once or twice and scratched it while holding keys. It still works fine and looks okay. I imagine as long as you don’t puncture it its okay as it’s a vacuum technology. I have seen some reviews saying they have dropped it a bunch of times and it’s fine. The 50-year guarantee and the average 4.5-star reviews from nearly 1,000 reviews tells you it’s good.

It’s something I use almost every day and for £25 with a 50-year guarantee, it represents incredible value for money. It’s much better than previous flasks I have had. For me, the positives far outweigh the few negatives.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 14 February 2017
bought this in novmeber in february i had to purchase yet another flask. this has done exactly what my previous flasks have done. it gets hot on the outside and the inside lets things go cold. its like it has burst somewhere yet its a solid sealed unit which cant possibly crack. this is the 4th one of these in the space of 18 months. a complaint has gone in to Thermos regarding this. they are supposed to have a lifetime guarantee....... not happy
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 March 2017
I bought this Thermos flask earlier this year to be used on day walks on nearby hills and accessible mountains. It is of a solid construction and does exactly what it purports. The tea is as hot drunk at the summit of a hill as it is drinking what remains in the flask when drinking at home at the end of a day's walking. The flask is surprisingly light and the handle is a well designed excellent feature, especially in wet and windy conditions. I cannot praise this item highly enough and is most definitely the best flask I have ever owned. You certainly get what you pay for and in my opinion this flask is certainly good value for money.
on 9 February 2016
Brought with me to Finland for a 9 day trip, an average temperature of -19. The water remains hot when poured in in the morning and still hot the morning a day after. Amazing.

Perfect when taking an overnight train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi.
on 23 November 2017
I like this. I like the fact it keeps hot liquid hot, and cold liquid cold.

Unlike some flasks, this is not bulky or heavy to carry. The handle is away from the edge of the flask itself, is sturdy and I feel completely confident using it, even when the flask is full.

I've used it on a camping trip recently, making myself some tea before I left at 8am; when I finally got around to pouring at 6pm it was still as hot as when I poured it in. That's a first for me.

For cold drinks I do add a couple of ice cubes to help, and have found it will keep things at a fridge-like temperature for about 3 hours, then it does begin to warm up a bit. 6 hours and it's room temperature warm.

The only downside is the cup. It's not the easiest to screw back on and because it has no insulation and handle, if your'e pouring hot liquid you do need to be careful not to burn yourself.
on 12 May 2017
After using this for a couple of weeks now, I am quite pleased with its performance. Its been keeping my water cold for a good 8 hours, then cool for another 8. By the next day its still somewhat cool, but of course not as cold originally. Still overall pretty good.

As for the construction it seems solid, especially the handle - even though its ABS plastic (I believe). I feel like I could drop it without worrying about damage.

Overall very good, lets see how it lasts over time.
on 21 November 2017
Thermos are leaders in thermal technology but when it comes to the casing of the product they are sub par. This is my first flask in a while but I do also have the food flask in this perticular range so I wouldnt say my quam is a one off. The paintwork on these products is rubbish, I've had my flask for less than a week and already there is 2 wide scratches from where its rubbed in the sink. I would probably opt for the stainless steel one next time as these arent hardy to everyday use.
on 19 May 2017
bought this flask for my husband as previous flask failed to keep his tea hot for more than 2 hours. all i can says is this flask is AWESOME!! tea stayed steaming hot all though his 12 hour shift. it now accompanies us on picnics to the beach, hiking and camping trips. we are both very pleased with this purchase. looking for quality..THIS IS IT!
on 27 December 2016
Without a doubt this is the best flask I have ever owned. As long as you give it a five minute pre-heat before adding your beverage it will keep it hot for several hours.
I use this for hot water only to make tea or coffee at work.
On one occasion I left this in my bag and forgot it was there. In the time it was in the bag I did not use it, so it had been sealed since it was filled. When I remembered it, I emptied it in to the sink in the kitchen and was amazed to find it was still hot, twenty four hours later. I'm not sure it was hot enough to brew a cuppa with, but I used the water to do some washing up and I could just about keep my hands in the water, it was that warm.
I haven't used it outside on a really cold day yet, but have every confidence this would still keep the contents hot for hours as long as you remember to perform the pre-heat process. I'd definitely buy another. Nice one Thermos.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse