Customer reviews

Black Roses [Australian Import]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 August 2017
Excellent product & Service, great album.
on 2 October 2008
Black Roses is a perfect, all round album; songs for every mood from pure rock to funk to romantic songs to a little bit of pop and metal. Lauri's vocals are crystal clear and Aki, Pauli and Eero more than hold their own up there with him with each instrumental having its own place in every song, rather than just playing 'second fiddle' to the vocals.

It's hard to pidgeon-hole The Rasmus into rock or metal or pop, they have their own unique sound that deserves a category just called...The Rasmus. I discovered 'Dead Letters' in 2004 which got me hooked on their specific brand of "dramatic rock"/"death pop", whatever you want to call it; 2005's 'Hide from the Sun' continued that love of their sound, and with Desmond Child assisting with production and writing on 'Black Roses' they have hit an all-time high for me.

'Ten Black Roses' - The guitars, drums and strings running through this are used together to clever effect.

'Ghost of Love' - Spine-tingling and I'd go as far as to compare it to the brilliant 'In the Shadows'.

'Lost and Lonely' - Great guitar riffs and Lauri's voice is particularly passionate. And talk about a cracking ending!

'You Got It Wrong' - Great guitar, and I love the 'childish' lyric effect in the middle. Actually, think more 'The Omen' than a nursery rhyme...

'The Fight' - reminds me of Apocalyptica but with guitars. If Steven Spielberg is thinking of doing a viking movie anytime soon, this should be on the soundtrack ;)

'Dangerous Kind' - Funky and what a nice change it is too.

'Live Forever' and 'Justify' - Heartfelt and heart-wrenching.

'Living in a World Without You' - The most 'pop' of the sings I think, although that by no means is a bad thing even for rock fans as the relentless lyrics suit the style perfectly.

I hope many people will discover or re-discover The Rasmus because of 'Black Roses' as it's an album that must be heard. Prepare to wear out the rewind button on your iPod ;)
on 25 March 2017
not listened to the rasmus since the release of this album & now i cant get enough of them,'In the shadows' is the first song that i heard & since then ive been a big fan of them,this album is brilliant & would highly recommend to any rasmus fan
on 28 September 2008
I have listened to a preview copy of this album, thanks to a friend in the music industry, and have to say that I am very impressed on first listen. It has a less muscular sound than Hide from the sun but the songs are generally of a higher standard. Although on first listen nothing grabbed me as much as certain songs off the dead letters album it was consistantly good all the way through. Single living in a world without you sets a good standard that is kept throughout. Overall it reminds me most of the album INTO.
1. Living in a world without you, was an obvious choice for a single, it's pretty catchy and quite theatrical, something quite common on the album.
2. Ten black roses, continues to develop the theatrical sound. Again it is a catchy tune that sounds very dramatic.
3. Ghost of love, has a heavier guitar riff than the other songs and could easily have fit on either hide from the sun or dead letters. Still a catchy song.
4. Justify, slows things down it takes longer to get to enjoy than some others but still a soild song.
5. Your forgiveness begins slowly and picks up the pace, another catchy tune.
6. Run to you is another slow builder, the weakest track to this point but it still retains the theatrical theme.
7. You got it wrong, is a more rocky track and is one of the better songs present.
8. Lost and lonely, is the longest song on the album and lacks the punch or catchyness of other tracks.
9. The fight, kicks the pace a bit.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2009
The longer The Rasmus go on, the less special they become. While there was always a poppy element to their music, on Black Roses it becomes a bit too prominent. For the fans, this is undoubtedly a worthwhile addition to the collection, but in seeking to widen their appeal they have become a bit, well, tame.

Black Roses is melodic, even symphonic in places, and it will certainly appeal to those who bought the producer's earlier albums by Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper. And it wasn't just Lauri's non-Anglo-American accent that put me in mind of The Scorpions.

There's a dense feel to the production with too many violins, synthesisers set to "symphonic" and what sounds like multi-tracked vocals - very 1980s. Yet this is also trademark Rasmus and it pays dividends on tracks top tracks like Ghost of Love, Run To You and You Got It Wrong.

Black Roses isn't bad - but there is a lack of adventure and I heard too many of those licks in stadiums back in the 1980s.
on 16 October 2008
Never heard of the Rasmus a couple of weeks ago until I stumbled on the video for "living in a world without you' on youtube, loved the track and bought the album, and what an album!

this is real classy rock music, there's nothing crass or immature about these guys, just solid catchy intelligent music and I can't recommend it highly enough

I'll definitely be looking into their back catalogue, what a find!
on 7 February 2009
I am a huge fan of the Rasmus but something about this album didn't quite do it for me. Don't get me wrong I like it and I think that it is good but there is something missing...

I have loved all their previous albums, especially Into. I have yet to find a song that they have done where I would skip it. Dead Letters was the album to introduced me to the band, as I'm sure it was for many others as it was their break through album in the UK. I enjoyed that one immensely and looked forward to Hide From the Sun which I equally enjoyed.

This album was met with no less anticipation but on first listening it all sounded the same. It was somewhat mediochre. After several more listens it grew on me and the subtleties of each of the songs began to emerge.

A good album all round but for me, I don't think it was their strongest.
on 22 May 2010
I have just turned 20 and I remember being in school and hearing "in the shadows" Since then I have loved The Rasmus!! almost 8 years on and The Rasmus is the only band I still listen to from my teen years. My boyfriend just bought me this cd for my birthday and I can tell you it won't be leaving my cd player ever again ;-) it has just replaced "Hide from the sun" and is an amazing cd but that was to be expected from what I consider the greatest band ever :-D FANTASTIC CD...MUST BUY IT..... or at least listen to the songs somehow you really need to experience the beautiful voice of Lauri....

I really cannot stress enough how magical this cd is!!I even find myself quoting the song lyrics...very inspirational :) Happy listening people x x
on 8 January 2009
I have been an on and off fan of the Rasmus for a good 4/5 years. This propped up in my recommendations and wondered why I hadn't seen it advertised anywhere.

As an opinion, Dead Letters I believe is still their best album. Then Hide from the Sun took a more rockier turn (Although they are rock, Dead Letters was quite mellow.)And this album has taken both characteristics into play.

I have only listened through the CD once, on my way through a second time, so i couldn't pick a favourite. But i haven't changed the song yet. So far so good ;P
on 13 March 2009
I would definitely say that this album is worth getting for the die hard Rasmus fans, the album Black Roses is a good comeback album for The Rasmus, it is a better album then their last one Hide From the Sun, but nowhere near as good as Dead Letters, though quite a few of the songs on the Black Roses album are similar to Dead Letters, their one song 'Dangerous Kind' sounds very similar to 'The Shadows'
All in all it was a good album, worth getting but a bit dissapointed they never came back with a bang!!!