Customer reviews

on 30 August 2017
great headphones
on 6 November 2010
A few years ago I purchased the previous K412p which were excellent. The K420 sound virtually the same as there predecessor but have a new look and are more comfortable to wear over a period of time. The only 2 downsides of the newer model are the lead is a little short and they do not fold up as small as the K412's did.

These headphones are physically small, similar to cheap on ear headsets that you can get in bargain basement shops, but the similarity ends there. Don't be fooled by their small size as the sound is superb at all frequencies including strong bass, good mids and clear highs with very little colouring of the sound. They are also very loud so even the modern MP3 players can get a decent volume out of these. Of course being open backed they are a tad anti-social!

I have had a pair of the K420's for some time now and decided that I wanted to upgrade to something even better, having read reviews of the K450 I decided instead to go for the Grado SR60i which at over twice the price must be better than these K420's? Unfortunately that is not the case, the Grado's are quieter and the sound is in my opinion not as good a quality as these K420's.
on 19 February 2011
I have had a pair of AKG 240 headphones since I was 15 (49) now and I damaged the wire so had to buy some new ones which had gone up by 20pounds, anyway I find the sound quality great so I bought some of these AKG K420's for my Iphone for when I go walking and they are fantastic.
The sound quality is brilliant, they fold away into a carry case with so much ease and the price is good too.They also come with an in-line volume control which is a bonus.
They fit to any shape head I would expect as the head band stretches and they are not too tight either, great headphones, go get your self some.
As for some saying that people can hear them when you have them on, I havent had anyone complain or look at me oddly, maybe you should not have them on so loud to damage your ears.
Just getting a pair for the wife now.
on 13 April 2012
Looked around quite a lot, I wanted something nice sounding that would not cost me a fortune, sturdy and that I could pack safe in a small bag. I felt in love with AKG 420! Was the only one that gave me nice and clean vibes (I listen to pretty different music styles such as Pink Floyd, Thievery Corporation, K&D, Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington ...). Was also the only one I wore and didn't make me feel looking like an idiot wearing them, very discrete headphones. Easy and quick to fold (I pack them in a lunch box), or very comfortable to carry around your neck, I always forget I have them on. Price/quality unbeatable! Tried very expensive one and I have been able to justify the price gap. Buy without thinking to much, they are great :)
on 21 November 2009
Since i figured the in-ear headphones were causing my right ear to go nearly deaf, and bk to normal when i stopped using them. I started looking for a pair that sit in the ears. Now first off is there size, small enough and folds away so they can fit in your pocket and comes in a little bag for carrying it in when not in use

Sound: well i have no problems with the sound sounds pretty good to me, slightly clearer than my previous pair Sennheiser Eco Ear Canal Headphones - Black

Cable could be a little longer just for a little extra room for movement, and maybe for taller people. But be careful if you buy these because since they are open backed you can hear the outside sound quite easily.
on 25 September 2012
i've been looking for a good but not to expensive pair of headphones for a while. and i must say i have found it with these i'm no expert on the technicalities but i can say they sound clear (even when loud) not muffled like some others and i find the build quality good. the only down side i've found is the cable is short it could being longer from the end of the jack plug to where the cable goes into the headphone is only 107cm i think it could do with another 50cm. but all in all i'm still very happy with them!
on 10 June 2013
I have researched and tried the following headphones (with a budget of £40) and arranged them from least to liked to my ears:
px200 II (£35-£45), px100 II (£26), Koss Prota Pro (£20), AKG 420 (£35), Plantronics 780 (£38, PC only and low durability build), JVC RX300 or Sony XD200 (£15-£25; the mid-highs were ideally crisp and clear with decent bass but not portable due to 70 ohms and low durability build) and TDK ST550 (£15; still low on bass).

I brought AKG 420 (32-48 ohms) headphone for my portable devices; as it met my requirements of a small stylish, well designed, light weight (104 grams), well built, comfortable but tight on the ears and good overall sound quality for 30mm neodymium magnets. Also the bass doesn't overshadow the musics! :D
The cable is short (a extension was required for pc use). The semi-open back can leak some sounds to those nearby.
The AKG 420 has better bass then those mentioned above but has a dark mid range that can be improved with a amplifier (+6db) or equalizer.
(My personal equalizer for AKG420: +4db at 30hz, +3db at 60hz, +10db at 4khz, +15db at 8khz and -10db at 16khz.)
on 22 February 2011
A terrific buy. When I recently acquired a new iPod Touch I was recommended to try the AKG K420 by a colleague who uses them all the time. I wasn't disappointed. They fit firmly but comfortably and, especially for the price, the sound quality is excellent. I would thoroughly recommend them to others.
on 23 November 2011
- prompt delivery (Fri -> Tue)
- outstanding quality of product
- very clear sound and
- low frequencies in appropriate quality
- nicely packed
- pretty tight when wearing on head -> keep initial position
- foldable to very small size
on 10 May 2011
- best headphones i ever had: very good sound quality, comfortable fit, good-looking
- one minus: too short cable (1m only)