on 7 April 2015
This is quite a dull book until you get to page 232 where it speaks about the missing God. There are times in a Christian's life when God seems absent. However, Philip Yancey says that God is not absent but in disguise as the poor, the stranger and the hungry. In other words, we need to turn our attention from what is missing in church to evangelism out in the world. This makes sense because we need to be outward looking as a church. When Jesus departed, he gave his disciples authority to take his place. When the joy of salvation and fellowship seems absent in the church, it is time to go out into the world and evangelise for lost souls.

The gaping hole in our church life is that we need to focus more on outreach so that we can lead others to Christ.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 February 2010
For me this is one of those books that just has to be in the bookshelf and which periodically requires reference. Philip Yancey's writing is accessible, eloquent and honest, both in terms of his own shortcomings as a believer and his personal misunderstandings of Jesus in his younger days. He puts into a rich perspective from his experiences and study what he interprets (along with a variety of sources) as the meaning and significance of the life of the central figure in the Christian faith. It puts into a whole (if that is possible) the overarching themes, complexities and nuances of what is pointed at in the Bible about Jesus in a way that is thoroughly accessible to the modern reader. What you will find is refreshing, surprising and new and will lead you into deeper understanding of the significance and importance of Jesus. This is an absolutely outstanding book.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 September 2015
Came across this book on Amazon, it popped up as a recommend, so I ordered it from Electric Chicken seller (excellent seller, I recommend.) I've started reading it, and after a few chapters I find it intriguing and quite fascinating. Very interesting facts and effortless to read also understandable and not heavy. Looking forward to reading more tomorrow. I definitely recommend this book and seller. Many thanks :)
on 4 August 2014
I could not put this book down, and as soon as I finished it, I went right back to the beginning to read it again. I became a Christian at the age of 32, after a childhood not knowing anything about church , or Jesus. But the 12 years that I have been a Christian have not been straight forward, or easy, and I have often been beset by "but why?" questions and have had many doubts along the way. What I love about this book is that the author is not afraid to talk about his own doubts and I could relate to many of the things he wrote about. I felt as though he has opened my eyes, and taught me so much about Jesus, far more than I have learned going to church on a Sunday. I want to understand the man, Jesus, and this book has been the best thing that I have read on the topic. I loved the style of writing, yes it is deep and it is intellectual, and sometimes I needed to read something several times over, but I am now very keen to read all of the authors other books. I am so glad I found this book, and have been recommending it to all my friends, Christian or not.
on 15 May 2013
After living most of my life pretty much - not close to the edge, but hanging off it. Then asking myself "How on earth did I get back"? Remembering the only person I asked for help was God. So God was my only help. But only realizing this after the event. How much more can I achieve knowing that He will be there for me in the future.
Saddened of Jesus`s hardships understanding His compassion and knowing Him in my future. What Greater Friend could anyone be blessed with.
Just read the book and open your heart and live your life with LOVE
3 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2014
Philip Yancy is an excellent writer who makes Christian theology accessible. We don't always realise it is "theology" we are reading! In this book he separates the "received wisdom" we pick up along the way and shines a light on the Jesus of the Bible. Very informative and refreshing. I can recommend this book to new Christians or those who are feeling rather jaded.
on 28 June 2017
good and instructive book Peter Baden
One person found this helpful
on 20 May 2018
2 good books in one volume, both excellent and thought provoking reads.
on 13 October 2010
I thought I knew Jesus fairly well having read, loved and believed the Bible from childhood and committed my life and future to Him decades ago. Reading this book challenged my inner portrait and helped me to see another perspective which I hope will make it easier for me to introduce my old friend Jesus (who hasn't altered in the least) to friends who have no idea who He is. Recommended reading for everyone.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2013
This book is unlike any other i've read on Jesus
It takes into account historical facts
It analyses events
And comfortably concludes that Jesus was no other than God himself
In his desire to understand and walk the talk
He descended amongst us