on 18 June 2013
I watched some, but not all, of this series when it was first broadcast, and liked it. Now having all three series on DVD, I settled down to watch, and was surprised firstly to discover how little of the story I remembered. This just made it all the more rewarding to view, and I was particularly struck by the fact that although it was generally categorised as aimed at children and young people, in fact it is so well written, and has such deep and serious points to make, that it is gripping for adults as well. I thought the casting was perfect, and the acting brilliant. But more than that, I was struck by how worthwhile it was, portraying the difficulties of young people with past hurts and disappointments, growing up and learning to understand that the world is not quite as they'd like it to be. Steve of course already knew that, from his spell in prison, but Dora, too, had grown into her teens with parents who simply didn't understand her, and weren't capable of doing so. She finds her "perfect" setting at Follyfoot Farm, with old, tired, and sometimes sick horses she can love and help in their final years. But the idyllic world Dora imagines Follyfoot to be is not immune to problems, and her attraction to Steve becomes one of them for her. However, the remarkable and in my view praiseworthy, handling of that attraction meant that throughout the entire three series, there were NO sex scenes at all - the most overt indication of their affection was an occasional brief peck on the cheek. This is a very welcome change from what we mostly have to endure now on screen, and is one of the reasons why I have taken to collecting DVDs rather than watch current offerings on TV. I am not a prude, and I don't mind sex scenes if a) they're between two people whose characters have been developed sufficiently convincingly by the writers that the viewer can believe in their relationship and b) they don't happen every few minutes, so that there is no development whatsoever of any story there might be! I note this about Follyfoot....that it is in this respect poles apart from what is mostly shown on screen now. The development of Steve's and Dora's characters, and the way their mutual attraction is dealt with is like a breath of fresh air. It's low-key and very subtle, yet there is often an undercurrent that crackles with tension between the two of them. It's so much more INTERESTING when it's shown like that. If you enjoyed it as a child, or with your own children at the time, get it. It's a reminder of how much better TV used to be! Cassandra
35 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 April 2015
If you think Follyfoot is a twee, girlie tv show about horses, you'd be wrong. It doesn't flinch in its depiction of the maltreatment of horses, and a few scenes are uncomfortable viewing for a sensitive type like myself, but Follyfoot has a clear message about the way society treats its horses and doesn't shy from it. Monica Dickens was ostracised by the horsey community for exposing their callous underside and the attitude that horses are commodities rather than living creatures. The 'will they/won't they/probably not' romance between Steve and Dora is a nod to the teenage audience which doesn't detract from the strong storylines. Follyfoot Farm is home to the unwanted, human and equine alike. It's about hope, compassion, standing up for the vulnerable and for your own beliefs, and Dora herself represents the good in human nature, she's kindness, love and optimism personified and even when I find myself disagreeing with her she still commands total empathy. Follyfoot has happy endings, but never twee ones. The happiness is often laced with subtle bittersweet undertones, and the hard reality of life is never lost. The series attracted some of British film's top drawer talent, such as David Hemmings and Stephen Frears, and every episode is taut and compelling viewing. The casting is perfect, with all the characters complimenting each other perfectly. It draws you into its world and holds you there, as only truly special television can.

As for the nostalgia value, if you lived during the 70's you'll need armbands to prevent yourself from wallowing too much. If, like me, you grew up in the 70s and also in the rural outskirts of Leeds, where this is filmed, then you may as well just surrender to it at episode one because you'll be a lost cause.
13 people found this helpful
on 25 May 2018
Its nice to see this old series again, but the quality of the print is poor. Its good that its still exists but the film must have degraded quite a lot in the TV vaults, its watchable but has lots of scratches and marks on the film because it wasn't stored correctly. Many programs of this time did not survive because of this and because they reused tapes/film because of the expense.
on 30 May 2014
I would thoroughly recommend this collection to anyone who remembers this little piece of TV history from the early 70s. As a testosterone-governed teenage boy I was insanely in love with Gillian Blake and the idyllic ambience of Follyfoot Farm and its rural setting. I even got myself a job on a riding stables in the country in an effort to emulate this wonderful series. Unfortunately there was no Dora. This Follyfoot Collection is all a trifle dated from today's perspective but is a wonderfully retro piece of nostalgia that had me falling in love all over again. Good stuff!
3 people found this helpful
on 18 September 2015
I love this series, it brings back so many memories of when I was young and could watch TV without being confronted with gratuitous violence or nudity! Gentle storylines with messages which still resonate today, and the acting is good. The real stars though for me are the horses! I love the idea of a haven of love and comfort awaiting them after all their trials and traumas. And the gently developing relationship between Dora and Steve, which I find very attractive and draws the watcher in. Such subtle undertones but still very charismatic. Would definitely recommend.
on 18 March 2018
Arrived in great condition just personally I couldn’t stand the series I love the books and have read and re read them but the series was awful
on 24 May 2017
I have just received my purchase of follyfoot dvd complete set and I am over the moon about it : ). Thank you! for this was a big part of my youth growing up, and for some reason it was always there in the back of my mind and now I have it as a part of my dvd collection. Very happy!
I am still yet to receive my purchase of Holocaust, but I can't wait for that as well! :)
on 7 May 2018
Excellent series i used to watch in the 70's, brought back some great memories for me and my family, definitely worth buying if your 50+
on 20 June 2016
I watched Follyfoot as a teenager not knowing they were repeats from the early 70s. So glad to have these to supplement all the books I have (I've got them all). And Steve was still as scrummy as I remembered him. Loved reliving it all again.
on 29 September 2017
Was really good brought back memories from I young and did Steve really leave ?