TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 September 2009
First and foremost, this is a brilliant printer and the sheet feed scanner has transformed the way I now store letters that I get through the post.

For storing letters, it is now a simple matter of feeding them into the scanner and then keeping the PDFs on my PC (suitably backed up I hasten to add).

However, this isn't the main reason for writing this review nor, if you've read the title, for you reading it.

Now onto cartridges... Yes, the price of almost all ink jet printers is artificially low to get you to buy them and the manufacturer makes his profit on the cartridges (everyone must know that by now). The set of cartridges that come with it aren't the full capacity, but that's what everyone expects.

I have seen many reviews where people have complained about getting as little as 17 pages from a set of cartridges. Having used Epson printers for quite few years now, I can honestly say that the cartridges do last well if you follow five simple rules.

1. The first is bit obviously really, but printing photographs does take a lot of ink. Cutting back in this area is one thing you might consider - don't give me any credit for this one, it really just plain common sense, the rest are better...

2. Leave your printer switched on the whole time. If you switch your printer off, you will waste loads of ink. As part of the power on sequence, Epson printers clean the print heads. This uses a lot of ink. Indeed it would even be possible, just by switching off and on, to use a complete set of ink cartridges without printing a single page! But, I hear you say, what about the environment? Well, this printer is "Energy Star". This means it has its own energy saving mechanisms built into it to help reduce the power consumption when it is not in use. At least this quells my conscience.

3. Do not replace the ink cartridges when the printer tells that they are low. Epson printers are very pessimistic about the state of ink in the cartridges. Indeed, my prompt today to write this review is that I have just replaced a cartridge; nearly a month after I was first warned about the ink being low. I've printed close on 200 pages of mixed text and graphics in that time with it telling me that the Cyan needed replacement...

4. This is linked to (3) above. Only replace the ink cartridge when the printer refuses to print. You won't lose any quality as you get near to the end of the ink. The printer will not compromise on print quality. The main point to note here is that you should order spare ink when you're warned that it is low, but only replace when the printer actually stops.

5. Finally, this one saves you both ink and makes printing faster. Change the default print quality to text for most of your usage. Unless you are printing photographs, this is probably perfectly acceptable quality for the vast majority of your usage. You can always change the print quality on an as-needed basis when you do want really top quality. The added bonus is that printing is also faster.

(To change the default quality, go into <Control Panel>, and then right click on the printer icon. Then select and you can then change the printing preferences - I suggest <Text> is a good option. When you come to print, you can always change the setting for that job only by clicking on the tab as part of the print dialogue.)

I hope you find this useful.
55 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2010
Bought this mainly as a Fax machine with the rest of the functions being back-ups for existing hardware.

Couldn't get the fax to work, so rang Epson support, who stated that the fax doesn't work with digital phones! How many people now have analogue phones?!? Looked at all of the literature for the machine and this is never mentioned - the support guy stated that if I had called their pre-sales line they would have told me - like, how many people do that, everyone checks the website?

So now can't use the fax and can't send it back, as it's taken out of the package. Therefore stuck with (an adequate) printer, scanner and copier, but still requiring a fax that works with digital phones!

If you want this for the fax function, do not buy it, look elsewhere.
66 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2008
This is a good machine, it took me half an hour to install from opening the box, there are seperate ink cartridges for each colour too which is great for maintenance ... i have had a blank and 'coloured' cartridge before and the colour ones are so expensive, even if you have only used 1 colour ... a really good idea ... you cant beat this for a deal ... multi-functional devices like this in the main stores start at £50 and dont have a multi-feed device on them which means feeding in large documents one by one ... pain ... i would certainly recommend this printer ...
22 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2009
I recently purchased an Epson BX300f all in one printer, I was so surprised the item came so quickly, and at an economical price. Both black and coloured print quality is superb. I am happy with my purchase and I'll recommend this machine to anyone. Good value for money and thanks Amazon keep up the good work.
on 19 June 2009
I've recently bought this product from Amazon,and at first was a little apprehensive of whether a product with such a reduced price would work OK.
So far after the first few weeks, I must say that this is a great product and everything works fine.Good printing results,not really all that noisy as some reviews claim.The point that made me buy the BX300F,was the fact that Amazon sell the Epson inks for a bargain price,which work out at almost half the price and double the amount of ink than my old Cannon printer.I think that all company's making ink jet printers are basically ripping people off with the grossly inflated prices they charge for minute amounts of ink. Buy this product, works great,and best of all,ink packs at sensible prices.Well done Amazon.
on 22 February 2009
For the price you can't beat it, I have used it for a few weeks now, scanning is a doddle, I use it with Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Professional in conjunction with my work and it's proved to be a god send in reproducing documents. Files can be kept to a reasonable size so not taking up vast amounts of room on your hard drive and without sacrificing quality.
Printing is to Epson's usual high quality using generic photo paper, standard printing on laser A4 paper is good with no evidence of bleeding and the copier although it takes quite a while it reproduces documents to a reasonably good quality. As for the fax I haven't yet tried, although that is still to happen.
All in all a good 4 in 1 printer with the added advantage of separate cartridges per color, so cutting down on costs.
on 31 October 2009
When unpacked the printer failed to work. The installations instructions were very unclear and it was necessary to call Epson support. The number was not easy to find and had changed from that given in the very, very poor documentation. There was an error message displayed which referred to the user documentation. Unfortunately the message appeared nowhere in that documentation and the 'help' person didn't know what it meant. The call to Epson was expensive as it was not a geographic number and hence not in most inclusive call packages. The 'help' person was not at all helpful and after slowly dragging him through the process he announced that the printer was faulty and should be returned. Amazon could not have been more helpful. I returned the printer by post and received an immediate full refund. Amazon - 10 out ot 10. Epson - 0 out of 10.
on 25 November 2009
With an ageing scanner and Epsom 980 printer on its way out I thought why not have an all in one unit. I've heard various statements about how vulnerable they can be, however this unit came in at a very reasonable price. Once unpacked the install process was simple and quick.
We have had it for around three weeks and can honestly say that this is a fine unit with great facilities. We have no hesitation in recommending this all in one unit. The printing is very realistic in terms of colour and whilst it might not be the quickest (why hurry things) it is in our opinion one of the quietest. One of the concerns we had was how much printing we would get from the really thin cartridges. We have printed 45 A4 full page calenders with many sheets of text and image documents and still have half the capacity of the supplied cartridges. Ink usage therefore is looking like being quite good. I would agree with Dave's comments above about getting the most out of the slim cartridges.
The scanner is another quiet and efficient facility and produces very good scans from documents to photographs. One of the best things we have found is the extremely eficent OCR work, boy has that come on. I can recall OCR when it was first introduced and the really poor results returned. I have found the OCR to compatible with almost all documents with around 96% accuracy.
To cut a long story short, you will be hard pushed to find a better unit than this especially at this price. Don't be put off thinking that at such low prices you are skipping on quality as that simply does not apply here.
on 21 March 2009
very nice machine and does everything i want it to
it will even scan and print without turning computer on
on 11 January 2009
Had one of these for a couple of months now and it's basically okay, noisy and plasticky but good fax and batch scanning functions.

Where it all falls apart is the cost of the ink - nearly £40 for a full refill of all colours and they need replacing far too quickly. This monstrosity eats ink for fun and the Epson colour carts have just 6ml of ink in each one.

I've now gone back to a second-hand Canon Pixma MP780 which is better in every way and takes recycled carts at £1 a pop.

See one answered question