on 16 April 2015
Nice little enclosure. Does not feel cheaply made, aside from the garish blue activity LED. Powers entirely off the port effectively on all my machines - an old Windows laptop and a 2014 Macbook Air - with an SSD or HDD installed. The white model sites nicely beside the Apple stuff.

With a 2.5" HDD installed the case fits snuggly and there is no rattling or wiggle room, however with a more slimline SSD the drive does rattle inside as no spacers are provided, which could lead to damage of the drive and/or interface electronics. I improvised with a piece of packing material so now there is a snug fit.

Despite the item description my unit DID NOT COME with a carry pouch, which was disappointing as it was one of the things that swayed my purchase decision towards this specific unit.

The unit identifies itself as 'JMicron Generic Media' when in use, which makes me a little uneasy about things like TRIM support/garbage collection when using with an SSD, though modern firmware should be able to cope. YMMV.
review image
on 18 May 2017
Pretty much as expected and is proving suitable for what I wan't to do which backup storage of photos etc in parallel with other backup/security methods.

It does occasionally 'freeze' when transferring large numbers of big files but is better when the transfer rate is throttled. Had the same issue with a different supplier and suspect there is some basic issue with the chipset's buffering capability or data flow control - so be watchfull and check that all files are transferred correctly before putting back in the draw/safe etc.

Other wise pretty god, well built etc.
on 30 October 2015
Had a spare hard drive knocking around from when I upgraded the one in my PS4 so I purchased one of these to make use of it.

USB 3.0 speeds are excellent and it works on everything I have thrown at it (PC, Smart TV, Tablet and even phone using an OTG adapter)

Fitting the hard drive was a simple 30 second job, and it worked effortlessly. Only minor gripe being that the Hard Drive did rattle inside the enclosure so I sorted it by stuffing a small piece of foam under the cover. Minor issue for something which is this much of a bargain.
on 8 January 2018
I'm very Happy with the quality build. It does exactly what I got it for. The colour's great! It was very straight forward setting it up.
on 9 November 2009
This was ordered and delivered within a few days, which, considering there was a postal strike, was pretty good going.
It was so easy to slot together, sliding a western digital HD into place with such ease, the tiny screwdriver holding the even tinier screws so as not to drop them too easy.
The leads were of a good length, allowing transfers such as HD cloning without any hassle.
And the lovely little cloth case houses the enclosure nicely.
In all, well worth the money for what you get. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2010
Bought this as I was upgrading my netbook's harddrive. Simply attached the SATA & power connector built into the front of the caddy, slipped the back of the case on and it was ready to go. Windows XP recognised it automatically and it works with only one USB lead( some other cases need a second to provide power to the unit). Also works with my WDTV so I can view video on my TV.

Unit is small, sleek and the metal body acts as its own heatsink. For the money, it works perfectly. Why pay more?
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2010
This is dead easy to put together, all the bits are there, including a teeny tiny screwdriver for the teeny tiny screws that are easy to lose, but they do give you a spare one in case you drop one on the carpet.

It even comes with a swish leather case, something my much more expensive WD passport drive didn't have...

After that it's just a case of plugging it in.

It comes with a power lead for people who don't have powered USB ports but as that terminates in a USB plug it's next to useless.

It also comes with some software on a mini CD, but don't bother with it, the thing is just a storage device. Keep it simple...
1010 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 April 2017
This is such a nice enclosure, it really feels solidly made, the 2.5 hard drive went in with no issues at all as well as it running without any issue! The connection light is a really nice addition too, not too bright but noticeable. I definitely recommend this product!
on 16 July 2013
This enclosure does just the job and it was chosen after reading other reviews here. I thought my files were lost when my laptop expired but removal of the HDD and installing it in the enclosure was straightforward. Two small screws secure the HDD and three screws plus a mini screwdriver are supplied. Whole assembly is now a plug and play portable hard drive and now I can access my old data easily.
on 2 October 2017
Arrived on time and perfect for what I wanted