on 4 March 2009
I have been a fan of this band for almost 26 years but I have to say this album is awful.
Remember when Marillion were exciting? No I can't either.
This is just bland nonsense. They have made a double album of filler tracks that are not even good enough to be called filler, but I can't think of another term for it, such is the meltdown in my head caused by this tosh! There is not one standout track on Vol 1 or Vol 2 put together. I can't make up my mind if it is worse than the last dreadful release, Somewhere Else, or not.
Marbles was a return to form on the whole that gave me hope but that has all but gone now.
Do not waste your money on this rubbish :-(
88 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 November 2008
I think poor production makes this album sound boring. Everything sounds alike you get bored after a while. This never happened to me with any of their previous albums.

Has Steve rothery left the band? I am asking as there are barely any guitairs on this album.
on 22 March 2009
Firstly I haven't heard every album and wont compare this release to anything involving Fish(13th star is awesome though). I regard Brave as a stupendous and brave concept album which required a lot of perseverance to appreciate. AOS was relatively easy as was Seasons End both I love equally. However having just purchased Marbles and HITRd together I am rather disappointed in both CDs so far. It all seems so indistinct and devoid of any direction. Hard Shoulder shows the most promise. I am hoping that I may see the light one day, but have given up trying for the time being. Marillion's music has been compared to Floyd, Genesis and Radio Head (bands I also enjoy) but this latest stuff??
on 6 January 2009
0 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
WHERE IS DAVE MEEGAN??????, January 6, 2009
By Jack R. Adesman

I had a feeling that this would happen again!!!!
Mike Hunter is totally unqualified to produce anybody's music.
It sounds as if he just threw parts of jam sessions together and attempted to make complete songs out of them.
It sounds so sloppy!!!!
On Dave Meegan produced CD's the instruments and Steve Hogarth's voice sound perfectly layered (example, listen to Angelina on Marbles), while on both volumes they sound so incomplete,muddy and lacking any kind of energy.
I love Marillion, but they need to wake up and realize that Mike Hunter is ruining their career.
You have to be kidding if you compare these CD's to Marbles.
GIVE BOTH A GOOD LISTEN!!!!!!
Bring back Dave Meegan...we'd like something close to the greatness of "Brave" or "Marbles"!!!!!!!
on 13 December 2008
Another lazy tired Marillion album. What is going on? Dont buy this get Marbles-This Strange Engine or Afraid of Sunlight which is Marillion at their best with Steve HOGARTH as front man. For an even bigger treat check out Fish's 13th Star CD just released, its full of brilliant songs performed by the original Marillion front man. Both Vol 1 & 2 'Happiness is the road'should be named the 'Big Yawn,' this will be my last purchase of Marillion releases.
on 11 December 2008
I review Marillion's latest as a double cd and I've waited a while to review this since the band uses to make "growth" cd's. A personal exemple is "Afraid of Sunlight" which took almost a year for me to appreciate fully and has become one of my favourite post Fish Marillion cd's of all time.

So back to Happiness Is the Road. I've been listening to this album for 2 months now and still have mixed feelings about it. About half of the album is brilliant and would make a 5-star cd, the other half however....
I would like to make a food comparesment: it's like all the ingrediences are there but the balance is wrong, too much of one and not enough from the others. H for exemple has a heavenly voice when he sings quiet, but starts to annoy me when he goes "over the top" to often and that is what is happening in about half of the songs. It seems like he is trying to compensate for the lack of some ingrediences. One of them is Steve Rothery who seems to have gone in hibernation after "Marbles". He does what he has to do but I'm missing the emotion in his play and where have his solos gone?
The other one is Ian Mosley. He drums like he's going on autopilot and if you listen closely he almost plays the same pattern over and over again in every song.
The only one who gets 2 thumbs up is Pete Trewavas, he plays inspired as always. "Somewhere else" dissapointed and maybe my hopes where to high since this is a double cd and I was expecting a new "Marbles".

So overall, there's one brilliant cd in "Happiness...", the rest goes in the bin.
on 4 November 2008
Well, as a 1983 -1987 Marillion fan it is always with trepidation that I listen to the post EMI Hogarth era albums. My last purchase dating back to 1997. So I indulged in the .torrent version officially through music glue and submitted my email to open the dmr security. Album 1 'Essence' passes and proves my 0.0001p email was worth it. I can find a context to listen to this ambient album. Excellent playing and melodic peaceful songs. Musicianship top class as all Marillion fans will know and expect. Second album the wailer returns, mournful and melancholic somebody give Hogarth a gun, a cliff or a long walk off a short pier. Musically repetitive, plodding lacking in new ideas - heard it all before. It really beggars belief that Marillion complain about people not buying their music when it is so lacking in drive, enthusiasm, charisma as it was in their youth. They are not millionaires they will tell you - that will be the divorces then. The answer is stop drinking, taking drugs and keep your trousers on. Ah but wait a minute you're always at home since you take three years to write one album and never tour for more than a week every other year. Happiness is the job centre lads - and stop Rothery eating/drinking or he'll pop.
on 25 February 2012
Boring! Where's the rock amd emotion! All one paced, SLOW! More of a pop band now, won't waste my money buying anymore cd's from this band!
on 4 December 2008
Own all of Marillion albums and wrote a glowing review for 'Somewhere else'. Couldn't wait for the new albums to come out. Of the two, this is the poorest. Really, I have listened to this album and I find it mediocre, which is so disappointing. As a Marillion fan, I wouldn't have needed much convincing but perhaps after 'Somewhere Else' they had 'Nowhere else' to go. The best track is the last track, which says it all. Check out Part 2, which is much more like the Marillion we love. That, I would give 4 stars.
on 8 September 2009
Two cd's, lots of tracks and 75% are poor and sound like the sort of tracks that get stuck on albums as "bonus" tracks. Nothing near the quality of Fish era Marillion. The band are clearly treading water on this release and it shows. Padded and rather tedious.