Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 January 2009
I must be on the wrong mailing lists, because I only found out about this album last week, despite being a Metheny fanatic since 1977's 'Passengers'.

All I can ask is why did it take a Polish group to do the inevitable and turn Pat's melodies into proper songs? To my mind, many of Pat's compositions, particularly the earlier ones, belong in the great American songbook, as indeed do some of Keith Jarrett's, so this album gives them some of the recognition they so richly deserve.

It goes without saying that attempting to update such a 20th century classic as 'Are You Going With Me?' takes some courage, but the band is clearly having a ball, and it works on every level.

Pat Metheny's original ECM compilation, 'Works', is my standard CD loan to any friend as a test of whether our musical tastes stand any chance of overlapping. I've got half a mind to switch to this album!
on 11 September 2008
This album has some of the most achingly beautiful music on it since Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' of 1994. One could easily wait for a decade to hear an album that genuinely becomes as much a part of your life as this one can, should and will.

Few albums that are built around one person's voice ever really deliver the goods...
However, when AMJ sets her native Polish words to PM's stunning melodies (from collected instrumentals), and sings them with her mesmerically beautiful voice, it can't fail to be a success.
I ordered the original album from Poland three years ago, and haven't stopped listening to it since - the international release has some extra tracks on it (I think!) that will be very interesting to hear..

I only hope that exposing this BRILLIANT ALBUM to the wide world will result in Pat and Anna-Maria touring it....!

Please let it be so.

Enjoy.

X L
on 22 October 2008
I bought the original Polish version a couple of years ago via an import specialist. I first heard of this album when Jazz FM DJ played a couple of tracks from it on his late show (When jazz FM actually played Jazz)

I am not much into vocal music but Jopek has an exceptional voice and is intimate with Metheny's vision of the music. Jopek and her band don't give straight forward playing of these metheny tunes but interpret and rework them often subtly but always with passion and dedication. These are high class musicians.

Metheny's contribution is without saying superb and he blends in with the band with ease as if they have been playing together over many years. Yet he still retains his unique presence and tone but not at the expense of everyone else, just as a seasoned jazz musician should do.

Jopek's vocals are emotive, lyrical and the band support her beautifully.
There are translations of the lyrics on this european/US edition so we actually know what she is singing. But to be honest she is so good and her voice so instrument like and communicative the meaning and emotion of the songs are conveyed as well as they possibly could be. The translation is not really that important.

There are 3 extra tracks on this latest edition which is a great welcome 2 of which are from live concerts Metheny and Jopek did several years ago. Some live material is up on you tube if you want to hear how good this music is. The three extra tracks are: 1. "Lulajze Jezuniu" (Polish Christmas Carol) 2. "Na Calej Polaci Snieg" (The Snow Falls All Over The Place) 3. "Szepty I Lzy" (Whispers And Tears).

I would recommend this to any Metheny fans or vocal/jazz vocal fans, but it crosses across all the boundaries so should appeal to just music lovers. I will be exploring more of AMJ's music because of this album.

For Metheny fans i would also recommend classical guitar interpretations of the music of Pat Metheny by Jason Vieaux. The album is called "images of Metheny" Metheny met the guitarist and was very impressed with the album. Vieaux manages to distil the essence of the music into shorter renditions of the originals.
on 11 June 2010
As a long time fan of Pat Metheny I stumbled accross this album on You Tube and instantly fell for the angelic vocals of the stunningly beautiful Anna Maria Jopek who i knew little of. Pat and Anna are a musical marriage made in heaven with the polish folk singer stealing some of Pats thunder. Anna's vocal clarity are a joy as are her backing singers who especially shine on Methenys ' Follow Me ' and 'Are you going with me'. Anna's backing band don't look out of place or daunted in the great presence of Metheny.On first listen i thought it would be difficult to get my head round a foreign language of mainly polish follk songs with me being more a jazz head and an ear for harmonies rather than vocals but after a few months now i can't get Anna's vocals out of my head and have started listening to her varied back catelogue.Upojenie the title meaning Ecstacy is what you get from this beautiful album of Metheny and Jopeks compositions . Five stars all the way.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 September 2009
This is a copy and paste for my earlier review of the hard to acquire Polish release, before WB decided on an international version:

To make clear, this is a collaboration between Pat Metheny and the wonderful Polish singer Anna Marie Jopek, and her fine band.

At last, gratitude to Amazon Marketplace, I now own a copy of this gorgeous album. I became aware of it a coupla years ago, courtesy of an illegal download. Its plain insane that Warner Brothers have not seen fit to distribute this outside of Poland or whatever, because this is up there with the finest of Metheny's offerings.

Though I like jazz guitar I find that Pat's side projects, with his intimate trios and quartets, just don't hold my attention in the way that his epic, symphonic works with the Pat Metheny Group and Lyle Mays do. So along with Secret Story, which does have that symphonic dimension, this is the only non-PMG project to really grab me by the guts.

This is instant, first hearing, spine chilling stuff, in the way that Travels was for me. Its mostly Pat songs barring a handful from Anna Maria and her band, with Pat for the most part at his most tender and mellow, supporting the gorgeous ethereal voice of Anna Maria Jopek, a lady who, as far as I know, is unknown in the UK. Its also interesting to hear Pat playing with a band that is very different in its musical language from the very American sound of his typical collaborations. I suppose this is a jazz band, but its Euro-Jazz, even Eastern-Euro jazz, which we in 'the West' are still not getting to hear enough of. It also features some subtle and intriguing techno elements which just adds to the freshness. At first listening the obvious standout is their rendering of 'Are You Going with Me', which, and I can't believe I'm saying this, rivals the till-now definitive Travels version. But I can tell it's going to be one of those albums where each song opens up fresh secrets with repeated listening.

Why did he not tour with her? Why did he not tour her with the Pat Metheny Group, or even tour with her and her group? Either way would have been a glorious new chapter in Pat's musical journey, and this is music that the whole world would die to hear. I just don't understand it.

A final point. The cover and booklet artwork is particularly beautiful and very suggestive of the fairy-tale quality of some of the music.

on 4 May 2010
When you have had a bad day and you need to sit on the sofa with a glass of wine, the lights turned down low and to listen to something that will make you forget the day .... listen to this CD. Truly an amazing blend of musicianship, vocal tallent and emotion. I don't understand a word, but it doesn't matter - this CD takes away all of my stress.... just wonderful and easily my most played CD out of many 100's..
on 1 January 2010
During the last couple of months, I've startet buying music again. I have chosen the beatle records, some other Pat Metheney records, and even some classical music. The Uponjenie album surprises very positivly by Anne Maria Jopeks beutifull and capable voice and for a dane allmost croatian language tone. Maybee that can be explained by my lack of knowledge of the polish music scene. However the Upojenie album is a quality of music you can lesson to again and again - with much pleasure and enjoyment. By far the best album I have aquired in years.
on 31 October 2008
Not much to add to my fellow friends comments above.... i have owned the previous Polish issue for some time now and it was great having that - let alone this one... the new tracks are like wise great.... I own most Pat's albums - (last count was 38) and this is simply that album which i like to hear whenever i need not to be alone and want to get some great voice around me... and believe me - Anna's voice is incredible throughout.... Also try all her 11 albums - they are not to be missed - i have them all and they are all worth the money.... You might have a problem to find them readily available anywhere but once you do you will not regret it!!!!! enjoy it all and stay well!
mel..
on 25 September 2008
I bought this CD three years ago and have played it none stop. I really enjoy Pat's music, but I also enjoy Anna Maria Jopek's vocals. This is a remarkable cd. I look forward to getting this release as it contains 3 extra tracks. Enjoy!!