Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 November 2008
This collection of remastered Smiths songs, apparently put together by Johnny Marr, is not as good as it should be. Some rarities such as 'Jeanne' and 'Wonderful Woman' make it on to CD at long last, but oddities such as the Cilla Black cover "Work is a four letter word" are missing once more. Morrissey was not involved in this, as can be seen from the rather dull art work, sloppy selection of images, which are also badly reproduced, and the lay-out is not really up to the standard of a so called "Deluxe Edition". No liner notes, no introductions, no context. Of course the music is great, but this is really not an essential purchase for Smith fans. Shoplift it if you really must own it...
on 21 August 2014
It's amazing how difficult it is to find a good, complete Smiths compilation. This one is the closest you'll get to it.
on 27 January 2016
No one does it better and these remasters are fantastic, a great, great collection, get the 2cd deluxe for added bits.
on 24 July 2009
The Smiths at their best, all the hits! Would definitely recommend to someone who hasn't any of their albums yet...
on 27 June 2014
A collection of the best songs by an amazing band. You can't go wrong. It has all my classic favourites on it.
on 6 September 2014
This album gives total V.F.M. 45 tracks .this is a must for all smiths fans.
on 27 October 2008
Any random selection of Smiths songs would make for a decent compilation, but this one has been chosen with both logic and care and for one of the most anthologised bands in recent history, it's a good collection. However, it strongly feels like preparation for next years highly rumoured reformation gigs.

Gladioli growers of the world, take note.
on 4 October 2008
First, let's start with the cover art. The Very Best of The Smiths collection featured Charles Hawtrey, an old British actor indie music fans likely don't care about. He doesn't have the popularity or mystique of, say, a James Dean - whom Morrissey much prefers; obviously this cover was chosen by the record company. The Very Best of cover was dreadful, and this new cover art offers much improved artwork, with a shot of the familiar band we love.

Now I agree that they should put out the studio albums remastered. How is "The Queen Is Dead" not digitized by now? It's been over twenty years! Speaking of remastering, any improvement whatsoever is welcomed! Unless you're one of these people who only listen to music on your computer you may not care, but mastering from the 80's was just stale and low, with tape hiss - unacceptable.

The first BEST OFs made me think "What on earth were they thinking?", "The Singles" was competant, but I saw the tracks and thought, we need a compilation that really captures the Smiths... their best songs aren't singles. "Ask" was huge, and I like it quite a bit, but I can think of twenty five Smiths' songs I love more. Ones I love passionately. "The Very Best Of" included a few extra classics, but was wildly incomplete.

You know, we all seem to think we're the biggest Smiths fan on the planet. I think I am. I'm a bit obsessive in fact, still to this day. With that being said, if I were asked to sit down and compile a Smiths collection, as a TRUE fan, it would actually look a lot like this.

I wish it included "Unloveable". That's a favourite of mine, and a song I've loved for 20 plus years. I believe it's a fan favourite as well. Also, I'd change the order a bit so it was in true chronological order. I find it would be more honest and tell a story a little better.

Apart from those changes, we get rarities, we get b-sides, we get the album tracks we love and all of the singles. Nice work to whoever put this together. We cannot whine about this one, kids - it's nearly perfect.

This compilation gets five stars from me, and I cannot imagine listening to this without being in a state of bliss while doing so. Now Warners: Let's get off our lazy arses and put out remastered studio albums! In the meantime, when my music fan friends ask "If I had to get one collection to try to get into The Smiths, which should I get?" I'll point them to this collection, and but make them buy The Queen Is Dead too. It's just a band where you cannot just have one CD. This collection comes closest though.

No more whining kids. Grab it!
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2013
I own most of the back catalogue on precious original vinyl

This is 45 tracks with most of the best loved tracks and a stack of rare b sides that are hard to find ....for 6 quid!

I cant believe their up their own @rse brigade gurning about it.
on 16 November 2014
Legendary band doing their best stuff :)