on 8 May 2017
Always liked Dave Edmunds music. This covered some of his best stuff. The Cd was in great condition for the price and came very quickly. Loaded into the car CD changer - probably will be played until I'm sick and tired of it!
on 12 November 2017
Arrived on time and enjoyed.
on 18 August 2017
A OK
on 8 July 2016
Grate album
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2008
This has to be the definitive collection of Dave Edmunds songs available. All of his hits are present (although some are not the original single recordings) plus loads of great album tracks.

Only four stars though for two reasons. Firstly, two of the tracks (I Knew the Bride and Sabre Dance) are listed as "take 2" which means that you don't get the actual version released on single. They are almost identical but for those of us who relish his music, the difference is noticeable and annoying. For example, on I Knew The Bride, the second chorus has changed and the instrumental is slightly different.

The second reason for deducting a star is the complete omission of one of his best songs, Deborah. Although not a hit, it was the lead single from his album Tracks On Wax 4 and is one of my favourite singles. I'll have to dig out those old tracks and add them when I put this on my iPod.

But overall, if you can live with those small issues (you may not be as fussy as me), what you do get is fantastic music from a fantastic artist.
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 June 2010
It seems hard to believe that Dave Edmunds has been so prolific from the late 60s till the early 90s, but this compilation showcases all his talents and his remarkable ear for foot-stomping, finger-snapping rhythms and the best jukebox hits imaginable.

Whatever the source, Dave knows how to give the tune the right spin and hey presto, it's a hit or a jukebox favourite. Most of the chart successes are here although Dave never was too lucky in this respect. Sabre Dance is still a showstopper,I Hear You Knockin a foot-tapper and I Knew The Bride just a pop gem.

To show there's more to admire, you get many almost hits, perfectly recorded and just fun to listen to - Every Time I See Her is a great example of the range in Dave's repertoire. Pure Pop, Country Rock, Wall of Sound, Guitar Power - it's all here.

Log in to three decades of good music and enjoy a one-off talent like Dave Edmunds doing what he does well and doing it all the time.
on 7 October 2008
Overall, an excellent selection of Dave Edmund's "Greatest Hits".

I would have given it 5 stars only for the recording quality of tracks 7 and 8....I realise they were like that originally (I remember the 45s!), but it spoils the rest of the album unless you skip them (which I do!).

Otherwise a welcome addition to my collection.

GED
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 June 2013
I first became aware of Dave Edmunds when I saw the 1990 concert for John Lennon and he was part of the "house band", doing an excellent version of "Strawberry Fields Forever". A little later, after I became a big Elvis Costello fan, I learned that Elvis had written "Girls Talk", a great song I remembered from my childhood, for Dave and, also, that another one of my musical heroes, Jeff Lynne, had worked with Dave, writing a song for him, "Slipping Away". When I saw that there was a "Greatest Hits" retrospective of Dave's work coming out, it wasn't exactly a difficult decision to buy it, especially in the form of a newly digitally remastered bumper twenty song disc. Sadly, the whole collection wasn't quite as good as I was hoping it would be, mainly owing to that fact that I wasn't aware that Edmunds was primarily a singer/guitarist, rather than songwriter and I also wasn't aware that the rockabilly style was such a big part of his music. Not that I dislike rockabilly, far from it, but, having heard this album, know that there are so many other artists who do it so much better.

The album starts with it's best track. "Girls Talk", from the acclaimed 1979 album, "Repeat When Necessary", is a really great song, so good that it makes you wonder why Costello gave it away. It's a baffling donation almost in the same league as Bowie giving away "All The Young Dudes". "I Hear You Knocking", the 1970 Christmas number one, is a classic rock 'n' roll song, but sounds a little dated stood side-by-side with the later material, which brings me to the conclusion that this would probably have worked a little better in chronological order. "Every Time I See Her", from the 1990 album "Closer To The Flame", is a brilliantly catchy track and is one of my favourite cuts on this compilation. Dave's wall-of-sound cover version of The Ronettes' "Baby I Love You" is rather wonderful, as is the brass-augmented "Fallin' Through A Hole".

Although the album starts well, it's not all gold. "I Knew The Bride" is fun, but it lacks substance, as does "Crawling From The Wreckage". There are only so many three-chord rockers you can hear in the space of 80 minutes and really enjoy. The cover of Guy Mitchell's "Singin' The Blues" is clunky and a little charmless despite some nifty guitar work, the Jeff Lynne written and produced "Slipping Away" isn't exactly the best song he has ever put his name to and "I Got The Will" is just plain boring. In fact, much of the last quarter of the album finished off the compilation with country-tinged songs which are easy to tune out and tap your feet too, but they're all quite unremarkable and don't sound as if they belong on a retrospective claiming to be a greatest hits, seeing as most of them sound like fairly unremarkable album tracks. If I'm honest, I was very glad when the album finally finished, although it did manage to finish on a high with his adrenaline-pumping 1968 debut single (with Love Sculpture), "Sabre Dance".

In my opinion, around a third of the material could have been trimmed from this "best of" and it would probably be a better listening experience, overall. Only a quarter of the songs here are truly excellent and some really don't represent the artist well, especially if they are presented here as an example of his best songs. In fact, from what I've read, there seems to be a little disquiet amongst fans about the track listing and some insist that some of Dave's best songs are missing. I will have to take their opinions at face value, because this is all I've heard of his work and there's not enough great material on this album to encourage me to investigate Edmunds' back catalogue beyond this single CD. It's more than enough for me.
on 21 December 2009
Good, solid, tuneful rock music - excellent in the car - some tracks I hadn't heard before, but they were up there on a par with the more well-known ones - good all round value - well worth the modest outlay.
on 28 September 2008
I have not stopped playing this since I got it on the day of release, it is simply fantastic Rock as it should be! Play it Loud, Play it while your drivin', play it while you boogie and get some of that good ol' Rockin' feeling that this world has crushed out of us these days.......