on 13 February 2009
This has to be the best ever TV Comedy Drama ever. Addictive; after episode 2 you just have to finish the whole box!! Nothing quite like it before or since in my view.
The acting and editing is superb throughout with classic precision of comic timing at every scene. It is deeply touching and sensitive in parts so it's tears of hysterics one minute and tears of sadness the next. It cannot be described easily without spoiling it -YOU JUST HAVE TO SIT DOWN ONE WEEKEND AND TREAT YOURSELF.
on 22 July 2009
What an amazing soap opera! I didn't know quite what to expect when I ordered this eight disc set, but to say the least, I was not disappointed! Amanda Redman and Peter Davison are two of my favorite TV actors. In fact, after watching The Last Detective with Peter Davison, I decided to order this series. The story line begins with what you believe to be a very ordinary family but quickly takes a 360 degree turn! You remain spellbound from episode to episode, and it is really very difficult to stop watching. Not only are the main characters terrific, the supporting cast is outstanding! While this is probably not your family or the family of anyone you know, you will love watching how the dysfunctional Braithwaite's cope with "the luck" of winning the lottery.
on 8 March 2010
The reason for me wanting to see this in the first place was the actors but this comedy drama is now one of my all time favourites! It's so much fun and so well played. Amanda Redman and Peter Davison are perfect as Alison and David who seem to love each other as much as they hate one another.
Sarah Smart is brilliant as Virgina and I just love Julie Graham as Megan, who has to be one of the most selfish and cruel women ever on tv...
What I love most is that it feels real, not acted - They all just make it look believable.
To sum up, Sally Wainwright is a genious :-)
on 31 August 2009
Amazing, Brilliant TV series. Loved every second of it. Its got the comedy and the drama all rolled in to one. The acting is great. Amanda Redman as ever gives an amazing performance as the lead character. There are also some brilliant young actors in the series who are ones to watch out for in the future. Buy this now. You won't be sorry.
on 22 March 2011
Couldn't stop watching this comedy drama. The acting was superb, by all the cast - very well selected. The story lines were imaginative, showed real life (at times exaggerated) funny, raunchy, tragic and never a dull moment. We would highly recommend these DVDs to anyone with a sense of humour and an open mind.
on 18 June 2009
It's a brilliant drama that just happens to have an interesting lesbian character that is lovable, but she also has her faults. This series needs to be cherished for that reason, never before or since have I seen such a good portrayal of a gay woman on british television.

'At Home with the Braithwaites' is a comedy drama that is fast and funny with plenty of twists and turns. It is brilliant in every way and I recommend everyone to watch it, particularly as there is nothing like it on the television today. If you're bored with heavy dramas about murder and drudgery then watch this, it's a breath of fresh air.
on 6 October 2009
Wonderful, fabulous series that is a must see for anyone who is a fan of Amanda Redman and Peter Davison. British comedy/drama at its best.
on 12 May 2012
I remembered watching the first series when I was younger and perhaps some of the second and it was amazing I've been meaning
to get the boxset for ages. Once I started viewing them it was hard to stop, they are very addictive be warned!
The characters behave so ridiculously throughout, that's it's charm, you love them but want to shake them and say 'what on
earth are you doing?' Get it and watch it you won't be disappointed.
on 9 December 2012
This is the second time I have purchased this boxset from Amazon, because I love the series sooo much that I decided to purchase it also for a friend for Christmas who has never seen it. If you like 'Footballer's Wives' and 'Bad Girls', you will love this! VERY prompt delivery and absolutely perfect in every single way! I will watch this again and again whenever I miss the zany antics of the Braithwaite family and want to re-live it. An absolute favourite of mine, not to be missed and to be treasured. You couldn't possibly regret buying this!!
on 2 May 2009
I found myself laughing so many times I lost count ! The funny surprises and such good acting from all the characters made me want to watch all the series again.