Fit Type: Short|Colour: Black|Size: Size 14|Change

on 1 April 2015
This is the second pair of these over trousers I have bought, the first pair were pinched off my washing line last week!
At 6ft I am very tall & usually wear a size 10-12. I ordered a size 12 Long & they fit perfectly. I do tend to wear them over leggings/jodhpurs so if you are a largish size 12 or want to wear them over formal walking trousers I would recommend you go up a size.
The over trousers aren't terribly stylish but are definitely 100% waterproof as I have worn them many times in torrential rain. They are good value for money, light weight & breathable.
As I often wear them over my Hunter Wellington boots the zip & popper fastenings are ideal, meaning I can easily get the boots on once I have the over trousers on. The fit is quite loose around the calf & this means the full length Hunter boots fit under the trousers no problem.
I have washed the previous pair numerous times & after about 3-4 years of quite significant use they were as good as new......no wonder someone decided to nick them!
There are lots of over trousers out there, I looked at Rohan & Mountain Equipment etc but non offer the different leg lengths which are essential if you are either tall or quite short. At RRP £50 they are a good buy.
on 12 January 2012
After I got a pair of these trousers for my birthday, I was so pleased I bought a pair for my partner. We both do a lot of walking on north Dartmoor - those who know Dartmoor will appreciate how wet it can get here. We both had cheaper thinner overtrousers which really didn't keep out the wet. These Berghaus ones are a much better fit and work very well. Both male and female ones seem well cut and are not at all 'baggy-looking'. They have an elasticated waistband with an adjustment toggle and the sides of the legs have zips coming 3/4 of the way up. This makes getting them on and off quite easy though muddy boots could still get the inside of the top dirty. Stud fasteners close over the zips, keeping the rain out. They are snug fitting around the ankle which helps keep water out of walking shoes and maintains a nice neat appearance.

The material is strong but surprisingly light and comfortable. In fact walking in them feels free and comfortable unlike some other overtrousers which either feel heavy or rub and make lots of noise. The knees are reinforced but we didn't find this restricted movement in any way. They are supposed to be breathable to avoid condensation inside. After several hours strenuous walking in driving rain there was just a slight hint of dampness inside when taking them off, perfectly acceptable to us.

There are no pockets so getting into under-trouser pockets involves reaching down inside the waistband or unzipping the legs at the top end, not a great problem.

I did some kneeling on very wet ground while taking photographs and my knees stayed dry.

They are easily sponged off if muddy and dried quickly enough. They can be machine washed and care instructions are clear on the label.

We're both delighted with them and would recommend them.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2012
Glad I ordered size 16 for my size 14.
It is a perfect fit and is efficient.
I imagine that if you order your exact size, this garment might prove a bit tight.
on 17 March 2011
I wore these overtrousers a full day of rain, sleet & snow and I stayed dry. They are very easy to put on and take off over trainers or shoes due to the complete leg- zips. The popper-buttons on the outer flap over the zip, seal the legs nicely. My only moan is that there are no pockets, a necessity nowadays and with my outdoor job. Very good value for money.
on 2 November 2009
The garment is well designed, easy to get on and off, even whilst wearing boots, and most effective in heavy rain. I only wish I had bought them years ago!
on 27 February 2014
Quick delivery for a good product. Wife is 5 ft 5" and they fit her nicely, slightly on the long side, but that is no bad thing. Main thing is they have kept her both warm and dry in the recent nasty weather.
on 10 December 2011
These trousers replaced a cheaper, much heavier pair and I was very pleased. We walked through wet and muddy weather on a three-day walking holiday around Pendle Hill in Lancashire, very windy at times, but the trousers kept me dry and stopped the wind getting through.
on 5 January 2016
This is a quality product from Berghaus. As fas as overtrousers go, I particularly liked the looks of it. It also doesn't feel cheap. It's not the thinnest waterproof but it's not terribly thick and restrictive either. Once you get used to it you can move around freely and forget you're wearing one at all! The long fit will most definitely cover your boots/shoes/trainers whereas the standard length one may be a little too short if you're taller than average! As for the fit, it's a difficult one, because I recently bought one as a gift for a friend who is size 16. I bought size 18 tall, and that fit well! Would the 16 ones fit? probably! but at the risk of them being too restrictive/tight especially if running or doing fairly active workouts outdoors. However all in all the product made for a nice gift. So all in all:

Pros:

Good quality material
Looks nice
Effective waterproof

Cons:

Might have to order two different sizes to see which fits best!
on 26 October 2011
These waterproof trousers are absolutely fab and well worth the money. A good make and good quality and hardly had them off since purchasing them. Recommended to all.
on 23 March 2017
I ordered a size 12 so it would fit comfortably over my normal walking clothes but I could've fitted in a size 10 with plenty room still. Luckily with the draw cord waist a 12 will suffice. I award these a 4.7 just for being too generous on the sizing. Plus 1 mark down to 4.6 a nice pouch to store them in would've been a great addition (not those silly netted rolls either!) Apart from those little glitches they are what we've become from Berghaus. Great outdoor wear, 100% waterproof, genuine breathability. They can breathe better than me. No some brands say their products breathe until your steamed up on the inside. Berghaus deliver! The articulated knees are a comfortable bonus and well thought out, excellent manoeuvrability. Also these were delivered to me very promptly, thank you just in time for the rain. You've earned a 5 ☆ rating for speedy delivery.