Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 October 2008
The thing that strikes me the most about Kellie's sophomore album is how mature she sounds.Her songwriting and vocals have become a whole lot stronger since her debut album Small Town Girl.These last two years touring has really paid off for her.She's also changed her sound a little,it's a more radio friendly pop/country.But Kellie really pulls it off nicely!
It includes the first single Don't You Know You're Beautiful(great lyrics to this,very empowering) and the current single Best Days Of Your Life,co-written with Taylor Swift who also provides the harmonies.This is one of the standouts,a seriously in your face kiss-off uptempo that will have you reaching for the repeat button.
Other fantastic uptempos are I'm Your Woman,Lucky Girl and the very witty Rocks Instead Of Rice,all very catchy.
But she also includes some lovely ballads such as One Last Time and the very raw Somebody To Love Me,there's also the ballad Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You from her debut but this version shows off Kellie's stronger voice.She really belts this one out!
She wrote 5 of the 10 tracks,and has given the songs a lot more depth this time around plus she just sounds better than ever.
Overall a fantastic effort from Ms Pickler.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2008
"If the three of us were on Jerry Springer, I'd be pulling her hair
And I'd kick that lying sack of shoulda-known-better in the you-know-where"
(lyrics from "Rocks Instead of Rice")

This is a solid second album from Kellie Pickler, the sixth place finisher on American Idol Season Five. The track list points the way to a very personal album which explores the time-honored country theme of broken hearts.

The songs to watch are "Best Days of Your Life", "Rocks Instead of Rice", "Makin' Me Fall in Love Again", "Don't You Know You're Beautiful" and "Lucky Girl". This album also firmly establishes Pickler as a songwriter, especially on the humorous songs, and she is credited on five of the ten tracks.

First single "Don't You Know You're Beautiful" is a song with a positive message, advising women to accept themselves for who they are, instead of comparing themselves to others and putting themselves down. Then comes "I'm Your Woman", a personal shout-out by a confident woman, and a nice upbeat song.

"Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" is a classic break-up song with plenty of hurtin' (re-recorded version from Small Town Girl), and "Lucky Girl" expands on the same theme.

"Did you tell her she's your second choice
'cause I wouldn't be your little toy"

"One Last Time" is a slow ballad which starts off like "Total Eclipse of the Heart", and once again, it's about breaking up, and then comes the upbeat "Best Days of Your Life" (co-written by Pickler and Taylor Swift), which is about ..... you guessed it!

"Somebody to Love Me" deals with loneliness, and then unexpectedly the mood changes with the bouncy "Makin' Me Fall in Love Again" about a new beginning. The album closes with a humorous ode to a shop-a-holic in "Going Out in Style" where she sings:

"Don't be sad or broken hearted
Spread my ashes in the shoe department"

Recommended for any American Idol or Country Music Fan on your list.

Amanda Richards
on 1 March 2012
I came across Kellie Pickler by complete accident when looking for Carrie Underwood's album online and I must say that after I listened to a few of her songs it was clear to me I had a new favourite artist.

This album is such fun! The lyrics are witty and the messages are positive. On the flip side, songs like "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" give the album a good balance I have yet to make it through that entire track without tearing up.

Overall a fantastic album.
on 22 February 2009
I've gotta say I really like Kellie and I am playing this album to death.

Now for the but - sorry if record companies really want us to pay out our hard earned on cds rather than downloads please don't use songs from previous albums! (Track 4 Yes it is a lovely song and Kellie may have a better voice now but the last album was great itself so most fans already have it). Also, in general I find country albums are usually not that long in the first place so repeat songs are not the way to go unless bonus or remixed (imo)tracks.

Best tracks for me Rocks Instead of Rice and Going Out In Style. Roll on the next album.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2010
'Kellie Pickler' is the second album of the singer who finished sixth in the fifth season of American idol. The album's strength is variety of the tracks on it.From 'The best days of my life' and 'Didn't you know how much i loved you' - the two songs that have thus far made an impact on the Country charts in the States, and the ballads 'One last time' and 'Somebody to love me'. One other track worth mentioning is 'Going out in style' with its big band sound that brings the album to a close. Well worth buying.