on 6 February 2009
What a wonderful collection this is. When Annie began her solo career in earnest with 'Why' and the album 'Diva' she was the biggest selling UK female vocalist and had 'Brit' awards left , right and centre. Since then her popularity has waned slightly but this collection should put Annie back in the charts where she belongs.
Annies big hits 'Why', 'Little Bird' and 'Walking On Broken Glass' are all included here on disc one along with the massive hit 'No More I Love Yous' taken from her second solo album'Medusa'. There is a also a fine selection of 'should have been hits'including 'Pavement Cracks'and 'A Thousand Beautiful Things' the highlights from her third and rather dark album 'Bare'. Why these tracks were not hit singles is a mystery along with 'Dark Road' and 'Sing' from Annies most recent wonderful album 'Songs Of Mass Destruction'
From the point of view of the fan who already has everything , there are two new tracks including Annies new single 'Shining Light' which is such an upbeat and positive song that must surely give Annie a deserved hit.
Also for the fans there is a second disc which includes harder to find gems such as Annies Ocsar winning track 'Into The West' taken from the soundtrack of the final Lord of the Rings epic 'The Return of The King', and Annies take on 'Everytime We Say Goodbye' recorded for the fabulous
'Red Hot and Blue' album. The only thing missing here for me is Annie's single with Al Green 'Put A little Love In Your Heart' which gave Annie her fist US Top Ten hit away from Eurythmics.
Disc three includes a fine selection on Annies wonderful videos. The video for 'Shining Light' is already a favourite as Annie appears to be a having a great time in her dressing up box!!
This is such a good collection of quality songs, and with 3 discs it's excelent value for money too.
44 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2009
Only a Scottish person (and I am one) with his skewed sense of national identity could have written the above review (kingboogie). Though Ms Lennox now enjoys more success States-side (where she is regarded as a musical legend)it is testament to the staying power that puts her right up there with near contemporaries Sting, Madonna, George Michael, Kate Bush and Bjork that this album has gone top ten. Class.
on 2 November 2009
Having never really been a big fan of the Eurithmics, I really love Annie as a solo artist. I love all the tracks on the album - my favourites being Pattern of my Life and Shining Light (I actually didnt realise that this was an old Ash song until my husband pointed this out, but prefer Annie's version). I cant understand some reviews calling it "depressing". OK, its not exactly dance music, but easy listening and music to listen to when you want to relax etc. Get a life!
How can one measure the whole worth of this wonderful woman and her work?

Mrs Wolf done good. Standing in line for two hours yesterday evening in one
of London's largest musical emporiums means that Mr Wolf is now the very proud
owner of a signed copy (with love no less) of Ms Lennox's retrospective collection.

Thankyou Mrs Wolf.

The two CDs and one DVD which comprise this inestimable release present an
overview of her solo work to date. Many of the tracks will, of course, be familiar
to her fans but it is good nonetheless to have them lined up according to her will
and whim. Ms Lennox has every reason to be proud.

The voice needs no introduction. Undoubtably one of the great voices of our time.
Instantly recognisable. A touchstone for all that might count for wisdom and
true feeling in a world gone mad. A national treasure. (I hope that we may be
forgiven for sharing just a little of Scotland's glory).

I guess we all have our favorite songs from her repertoire. Some of mine are here.

The achingly beautiful melody and lyrics of 'Why' must surely have the power
to thaw even the coldest heart. It connects at the deepest emotional level because
each and every one of us has had a 'Why' moment at some point in our lives.

That's what she does you see. Touches us. Reassures us. Connects her fears with ours.
Cheers us on. These are rare qualities in a world of quick fix musical formulae.
There is no formula here other than solid gold. ( Au. Atomic number 79 ).

So good to hear 'Love Song For A Vampire' from Mr Coppola's 'Dracula' again and
a small pity that the video was not included on the DVD.

The inclusion of Joni Mitchell tribute, 'Ladies Of The Canyon' was a nice suprise.
It's a truly stunning arrangement which casts new light on a great song.

Other highlights include an incredibly affecting performance of Cole Porter's
'Every Time We Say Goodbye'. A brave move too given Ella Fitzgerald's historic rendition.
The live take of 'Many Rivers To Cross', is a pure blast of undiluted, unadulterated soul.

'Shining Light', a new recording, is an uplifting experience.
Ms Lennox really does sound as though she is enjoying herself.

'Dream Angus' and 'Hush, Hush, Hush' are simply sublime.

Nice to have the videos too. These small art films have always allowed
our heroine to express the complexity of her elusive personality.
They are both evocative and fun in equal measure.
The culminating multiple Minnie Mouse moments of
'Waiting In Vain' never fail to make me laugh out loud !
'Precious' still packs a mighty punch seventeen years on.

The packaging, however, which others have correctly
pointed out, is very cheap and nasty.
Our Lady deserved a finer frock for her graduation ball !

A stunning achievement.

Love right back atcha Annie !

Essential.
99 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2009
This album is great and puts together all the hits you want on one cd. Fantastic.
on 10 March 2009
Annie Lennox has a beautiful voice; throughout her musical career she has clearly worked extremely hard to try to achieve top quality performances. This collection is a brilliant example of just how impressive she is.
For me "Why", "Precious", "No more I love you" and "Pavement Cracks" are all exceptional tracks. I guess I am lucky not to have bought her solo albums already; I will enjoy getting to know some of the more obscure (only for me) songs.
on 26 March 2009
An artist of Annie Lennox's calibre deserves to be treated with more respect! This so-called "deluxe" edition of her greatest solo hits is nothing short of cheap and insulting! The packaging is flimsy with minimal artwork to speak of; the discs are so tightly packed that you have to pry them out their inserts (which will inevitably scratch them beyond description); and the track selection on the CDs beggars belief! Why, oh why, do we get 'Something So Right' and 'Waiting In Vain' on the DVD but NOT the CD? Both tracks would easily have fitted and, quite frankly, are infinitely superior to new cover versions of 'Shining Light' and 'Pattern Of My Life' which, in my opinion, are bland by Annie's standards! And why is the bonus disc such a missed opportunity? Surely, some rare live performances could have been included instead of tracks most fans already have in their collections? Come on, Sony BMG, whose neck should be on the chopping block for this unmitigated disaster?
on 21 March 2009
help,i am just about to order this 3 disc package,mainly for the music which looks to be a fab-u-lous selection of annies best work.
but i am getting really confused over the inclusion or not of the "love song for a vampire "video.
now if you look at the FULL listing above ( click on the option and you get the whole list) it states it is track 10 on the dvd.so why are people here ,namely mr woolf saying that it is not on the disc !!!!
if you also play the promotional video on this Amazon page above- the one that shows the cover art with the brian adams photo,it DOES show the love song for a vampire promo vid is included.
so far so confused.
well i suppose i will have to wait for my copy to arrive in the morning and check it out myself !?
but if it isn,t on the 3rd disc - amazon ,expect some serious complaining from me about the Trade Description Act.you cannot simply go around puting wrong information on a website and AGAIN on the promo film for the same product on your website and expect to get away with it.
however if love song for a vampire IS on the dvd disc then what the heck are these people here on about ?
so i,ll post again tommorrow,-expect some reaction one way or another.
p.s. why cannot people get the facts right in the first place and then it all makes one little less problem to carry round in your head.
i do try to de clutter my brain everynight before going to sleep as there is so much trivia swimming around in our world today.
as regards the packaging again i will report back in the morning when this beauty arrives.
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2012
What more can be said of an artist who has such a soulful voice? The majority of the music on this release is from her first album. I think it would have been more interesting if the video accompanying the two audio discs included also her unplugged performance.
on 10 March 2009
I was soooo on cloud 7 when I found out this was coming out, more so when I heard there was a limited edition with a dvd! Annie Lennox' videos on dvd! On an official dvd!!!! If you guys haven't seen her videos, you're in for a treat. Annie has always been a very visual artist, proof her work with equally talented Dave Stewart from Eurythmics.

I literally could not wait for this to come out in March so I ordered it from the USA where it had come out already in February. The difference in the limited editions is that the US one does not have the second audio disc, and the dvd doesn't have the videos for Shining Light and Pattern Of My Life.

What makes me give this two stars? I should give it one actually. The packaging of this so-called deluxe edition is cheap, horribly unpratical and really awful.
CD1 and the DVD are in the pockets created by glueing the sleeves together (I guess a digipack tray was too much to ask for here), so you know the deal, you have to grab the disc with your fingers really TIGHT to drag out the discs while certainly scratching them in the long run. Wait up, there's more. CD2 is in the middle pocket, the one that you almost can't see because there isn't even a die-cut window to take it out, here you really have to use your skills and probably again, ruining both discs AND package. Who designed this? Does Sony BMG really hate Annie this much??
I am grateful, a lot, for the extra disc with songs that are finally compiled together on an Annie Lennox cd, but really, you could have gone the extra mile people. And I really would have loved to have Put A Little Love In Your Heart. I have bought more than two singles of that and I still have to find the great version featured in the movie Scrooged that is so wonderful.
The dvd's selection is wonderful, but that's where the praises end. I could usually not care less if there isn't a play all function, but here it would have been very helpful. After watching a video, you just have to go back to the main menu and select another video to play. Try doing that for more than 10 times. It's just stupid. And then, I don't see why they couldn't include the video for Love Song For A Vampire, or other videos omitted, and include Pattern Of My Life which is just a montage of spinning images and silhouettes from the Bare sessions.
But the last straw is the quality of the transfer! It's on the same level of a VHS tape. Really AVERAGE!

There are also very few credits. I would have loved to find out why there video for that Bare video is time-coded and where it comes from. Or why the stills in the booklet suffer from severe pixelation, which is definitely not intentional.

Then something I just found out: the WHY video has a video glitch at 1:36, and I'm pretty sure the US dvd doesn't. Also, this 2cd+dvd edition is very long and won't fit in any cd case, it will stick out like a sore thumb. haha. hah. But I still love you Annie, I bough the US cd+dvd, the UK cd, the UK 2cd+dvd (two copies, and the one shipped from the UK is not even sealed!!!!! With paper sleeves like these, not sealing is just another kamikaze action).

They should have hired the people who did the Deluxe Editions of the Eurythmics' albums! Now THAT's Deluxe!

They really missed the chance to pay a great hommage to a wonderfully gifted artist.
66 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse