on 27 April 2017
Perfect toaster! I have replaced with same model after many years service. Even browning on both pieces of toast - see photos. I like mine well done. Easy to operate and regulate if you prefer lighter toast. Long opening means toast can be put in on it's side and does not have to stand upright, therefore all of bread is toasted evenly. Great buy at just over £20 - why pay more! Best toaster on the market in my view. Photos show both sides of toast done this morning at half power. First ones with newly arrived toaster. Remember to first put toaster on full power, with no bread inside to "burn in" the elements, slight smell at this stage is normal. You only need to do this once when new. Same as all other toasters.
review imagereview image
on 9 February 2016
I have given 3 stars to my rating for this toaster.
It is black and silver, black on the sides and base and silver across the middle.
It toasts well and you can get toast grading from dried/hardly brown through to very toasted/dark. The slots for the bread are wide and can take the thicker and taller slices of bread, like the bread backs in thick sliced bread.

What I wish I had known before I purchased was two things (both for which I have down rated this review)
The plug cord for this toaster is short, approx. 40 cm, shorter than every other appliance I have in the kitchen.
The red light on the toaster only comes on if you have selected defrost. We thought it was a fault and sent back for a replacement and found it did exactly the same. Did not send back for refund as it does toast well and you know it is on as the handle is pushed down.
on 21 December 2014
I bought this toaster for one specific reason -- unlike every other make or model I tested (upwards of 20), it actually toasts an entire piece of sliced bread, rather than leaving a stripe uncooked along the top. It also defrosts well, allows toast to be lifted slightly so there is less risk of burning a finger in the hot metal at the top, has a crumb tray that actually contains a fair proportion of the crumbs, and has fairly cool walls while in operation. For the price, this is the best toaster I've found, by some margin. The only minor down side is a very short power cord.

UPDATE: two years on, the toaster has developed a tendency to toast one side of fresh bread more than the other. They're still both toasted on the right setting (and oddly, frozen bread doesn't have this problem), but nevertheless, I'm docking a star from my original five for the annoyance value of having to turn slices round half-way through the process to get the entire slice done the same way.
on 10 April 2015
lovely big slots fit large slices. irish plain bread slices have never fit properly into any toaster i have had but they do in this one. the slots will take relatively thick slices but bagels and hot cross buns need to be sliced in half and the extra high lifter thing doesn't lift them high enough to remove by hand but fortunately i am good with a pair of chopsticks so i am happy to lift them out this way. the toaster does get extremely hot but i don't have small children around so that's a risk i am willing to take. i took this into consideration after reading other reviews but the slot size was more important to me. hubby is very happy that i can toast his favourite bread in 1 go without having to turn it round, dry it to a crisp and it be unevenly toasted :D
on 8 February 2015
Below is my previous review. However, after just 6 months it blows the mains fuse every time we switch it on. I expect a toaster to last more than 6 months and, as I have seen other people have had a similar issue, can only judge it to be shoddy workmanship. I do not recommend this toaster.

My old toaster blew up the other morning. After doing a few minutes research on-line I came across this one. I was specifically looking for a toaster that toasts bread like Warburtons. 5 minutes out of the box and I have toasted some home made bread and some Warburtons - both types fit in this toaster, with room to spare, sideways. My old toaster you used to have to jam the bread in to get it to fit. The only minor gripe is that the heat settings are tiny black numbers panted onto the steel, which are virtually impossible to see. But I can live with that just to be able to toast bread properly.
on 20 June 2016
Have got one of these that is 6 years old and as it is starting to look a bit tatty decided to buy another to replace this one once it actually stops working. Ok a bit extravagant maybe however this toaster does everything you want a toaster to do. Every type of bread fits in and it toasts them all well. I have even used a toasty bag with Warburtons bread in a sandwich to make grill cheese. Many toasters claim they fit all bread sizes but few do. I just wanted to make sure I had another one when the need arises.
on 12 January 2016
this toaster replaces a previous russell hobbs which I liked but it wouldnt take warburtons toastie bread so ordered this one.produces firm toast and have to put setting on 2 as its really hot.also surfaces gets very hot so just leave it for a minute or 2 to cool down.my old toaster didnt get hot on the outside like this one but Im still relatively pleased with it however do be aware that its not coolwall and I would not allow a child to make toast with it in case they got burnt.It does warn on packaging about hot surfaces.
on 25 July 2016
Looks good although feels a bit light and cheap. The main thing is it toasts Warburton's Toastie sliced bread without missing the top section which many toasters these days don't seem to fit. Also wide enough for teacakes, crumpets etc although sometimes difficult to remove as you can't raise them high enough so sometimes need to use a utensil to get them out
on 31 March 2016
Nice toaster but not as sturdy (heavy) as previous one bought a few years ago (same model). Sometimes one side of bread will come out more well done than the other but this doesn't really bother me - I just don't have it set too high and toast comes out a nice golden colour. Lead is not as long as previous toaster and sides can get hot so you have to be careful not to touch them straight after using. Not the best but it does the job.
on 4 February 2016
Sent this toaster back as it was as "SAFETY HAZARD" This toaster is, in mine and the wife's opinion a safety hazard and should not be offered for sale any where let alone a reputable online retailer like Amazon. When in use the outer surfaces get Exceedingly HOT and represent a Burn Hazard.