Format: DVD|Change

on 24 April 2009
After being engrossed in Season one when it aired on ITV last year, I immediately bought the box set. Then I waited patiently for a year until season 2 was aired (then I was unaware of it being on FX) and I couldn't wait. Was I disappointed? No! My only concern is that season 3 won't come out until this time next year as ITV take a year to show it even though it will have shown on FX and finished by the summer holidays!

In my opinion, as many others also feel, this is superior to season 1 and that is some feat. Departing from the novels, the series begins to delve further into the characters and especially Dexter as he appears to start growing a conscience and scepticism over harry's 'code' and he is caring more about life and people around him as his eyes are opened by the amazingly disturbed Lila Tourney (Jaime Murray). It's nice to have some British blood in such a great show and alot of British flesh as she seems to be half, if not fully, naked most of the time.

The body count in this series is less so than the first but I think this benefits the show as I have always believed that the strength of Dexter is not being a TV show for horror fans but an engaging, tense and gripping drama for everyone to enjoy where the main character happens to be a serial killer of serial killers. In some ways it annoys me that the show is promoted as such as it makes many people not want to watch it but trust me you will love it even if you are squeamish. The gore in the show, not too much, is not supposed to be cool and disgustingly OTT as it is in films like 'Saw' and 'Hostel'. It is shown for what it is and it's only very rarely that we see a blood fest. You never actually see Dexter cutting the bodies up you only ever see the end product.

The second seasons arc, the first season's being the ice truck killer pursuit, is the mystery surrounding a discovery of an underwater graveyard with many body parts in many black bags. We know that these are Dexter's victims and the season unfolds into a tense mystery drama where we know the killer and the traditional whodunnit theory is out the window as we know who did it, it's how avoids the law and manipulates others which makes the show so appealing. So the spotlight has moved from the ice truck killer in season 1 to dexter himself in season 2.

Sgt. Doakes (Erik King) is brilliant this season and contriubutes to the explosive finale and shows more human qualities in his character than perhaps in season 1 where he appeared a more black and white comic book character than one who operates in the 'grey' world of dexter morgan. He is again pursuing dexter and this time around it gets very personal.

The relationship with the increasingly brilliant Julie Benz as Rita comes under pressure with the arrival of the sumptuous Brit Lila, who proves to be more trouble than she is worth.

Not to mention the introduction of Keith Carradine as Frank Lundy who is brought in by the FBI to investigate Dexter's murders and an interesting dynamic emerges as he grows close to Dexter's sister Debra (Jennifer Carpenter) who is also struggling after the affair with her ex-serial killer fiance - the ice truck killer.

More voice is given to Batista, Masuka and LaGuerta as all contribute brilliant individual performances to the show and way exceed their performances in season 1.

As a final point, the extras look better on paper as the interviews you see are very short and the cast interviews all took place at the foot of the season which means that they never talk about season 2 in the interviews they just speculate which is rather stupid as we have just watched season 2 and the cast are saying they don't know what's going to happen! The quiz is pretty cool but gets boring after you've done it once and the bllod slides don't show the whole murder they only show a short clip. I could probably go to the toilet in the time they gave to Jeff Lindsay's interview. Still a darn sight better than season 1 which had no extras apart from a commentary on 2 episodes. Saying that, season 2 has no commentaries whatsoever which is pretty poor considering the US aired it over a year ago.

This, however, cannot get in the way of what an amazing show this is so it still gets 5 stars from me.

This is a must buy for EVERYONE!

P.S. Please try and bring out season 3 in less than a year I mean it's already been shown in America. ITV probably have the rights I suppose.
on 22 June 2008
This series makes for compelling viewing, the turn of events leave you having to watch the next episode. It is far better than the first series and the script is much more dramatic and far less predictable. We begin to see the monster inside Dexter as the series progresses. As a viewer we are toyed with and our sympathies shift to different character as Dexter becomes difficult to root for. His mask slips to reveal the dangerous psychotic coming apart at the seams. I see Dexter as more of a soap opera than a real dramatic serial to be taken seriously, it is not something I imagined myself liking. Dexter has plot holes galore and is greatly overshadowed by truly great and well written series such as The Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad but for simple entertainment is is fun and has a great 'watchability' factor.
on 11 October 2008
wow! i thought season one was going to be hard to beat but i was so wrong!
if you liked season one then you will love season two. so many different things going on in this one.
dexter is struggeling with who he is and people are begining to notice his strangeness.
michael c hall is an amazing actor and seems to find this role so easy.
the plot in every episode springs something new and unexcepted on you every time, its a must for any fan to own the boxsets.
defently a 5 star you wont be dissapointed!
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2008
Season 2 of Dexter is in my opinion even better than season 1.

The story follows our closet serial killer after the demise of the 'Ice-Truck Killer' at the end of season 1. Dexter's personality and beliefs evolve further in the second season as he faces new challenges and discovers more about his deceased father Harry.

Firstly, Dexter's body-disposal site in the ocean is discovered accidentally by some treasure hunters. This starts the hunt for a new killer, who the press label as the 'Bay Harbour Butcher'. To help the Miami PD, the FBI enter the investigations with a great new character in Special Agent Frank Lundy (played by Keith Carradine) who soon narrows down his suspect to having a police background. Furthermore, Seargent Doakes suspects a link between Dexter and the dead Ice Truck Killer, and begins to secretly dig for information on Dexter's past. Consequently, Dexter has to rein in his murderous impulses.

Secondly, Dexter's relationship with girlfriend Rita becomes strained when he meets Lila, a sultry temptress with a dark side of her own. This enables her to relate somewhat to Dexter and make him feel relaxed, which he never is with Rita. However, being relaxed causes Dexter to lose focus and make mistakes, resulting in some tense games of cat-and-mouse with his pursuers.

As with season 1, the storylines are grippingly dark and entertaining, developing towards a climactic showdown in the final episodes. I watched the series in less than a week and can't wait for the release of season 3.

Viewing is highly recommended, but not for kids and the fainthearted!
on 8 March 2009
I'm loving the second series even more - the edge-of-the-seat situation with Dexter being hunted (by his own sister!); although I think Jaime Murray is rather 'wooden', her character has added an 'edgy' balance to the darker side, although I hope he gets back with Rita. The humour is great, especially Dexter's voiceover comments as he watches the manhunt closing in... will there be a 3rd series!? Michael C Hall is fantastic!
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2008
I'm stunned that the other reviewers find the second season doesn't at least match the first.
To me, the first season was excellent but season 2 surpasses it with a neater storyline. The climax is just simply amazing! It's a perfect balance of a comedy, mystery and thriller.
Bring on season three, I hope they can maintain the pace.
on 12 April 2009
Dexter series two is just amazing. As with the first season... it's got everything that makes a fantastic journey... progressing all the way.

We found our ground in the first one... now we move in a deeper direction on so many levels...

I think the style was consistant from the first season with regular inner-mono-log from Dex as it happens.

I have enjoyed this even more than the Sopranos!!!!

I watched the last 6 episodes in one day... I couldn't stop watching as the chaos unfolds. Loads of tension to keep you wide awake and interested!!!

I want series 3 now!!!!
on 7 July 2009
The speed at which I got through Series Two is testament to how much I enjoyed it. I was so dissapointed to realise I was close to the end when I inserted the last disk. The pace of this series is considerably faster than series one I thought. Overall it was the right tempo, though a couple of the subplots felt rushed as they were crowbarred back to the main plot. I won't spoil the show by stating which.

Decter is different in Series Two also. In the first series much was made of his emotional detachment from "normality" and he was presented to us as something closer to machine than man. In series two this all changes as everything he ever believed in is threatened and emotions seem to control every action. The dichotomy between the character in series one and series two didn't gel for me. It was too much of a leap from the one to the other. That said, it stood well on its own and if you'd never seen series one I don't think you'd have thought anything was amiss.

The acting was great once again. Dexter is convincing as he struggles with the confusion of seeing his code undermined and the walls of his facade start to crumble. We see him run the full gammit; anger, fear, panic, calm, love (perhaps?).

The supporting cast is a joy. Back when The Wire was my show of the moment I'd rejoice everytime The Bunk was on screen and it's the same in Dexter whenever Doakes, Masuka or Batista joined the scene. Not to diminish the excellent performances from the remainder of the cast, but there three get to deliver all of the funniest lines, typically juxtapositioned perfectly into an otherwise tense scene.

Overall it was really enjoyable and I'll be pre-ordering series 3. Would have been 5 stars but some plot lines felt a bit rushed and the main character seemed inconsistent with the first series.
on 2 December 2008
Back for Season 2 after the Brilliant Ice Truck Killer Escapade. This series seems to have succeeded in fleshing out the characters. Dex's Sister is a much more interesting character in this series, compared to her whinging and whining in the first. Lyla is played brilliantly as the Femme Fatale, while Dexter shows his emotions to a much greater degree than before. Dark, funny and full of twists. I can't wait for series 3.
on 18 May 2011
Season 2 keeps up the Soprano-style tension between your affection for this lovable serial killer and the nagging voice of your conscience telling you there's something wrong about rooting for a compulsive murderer. For girl-watchers, there are now three (count 'em!) skinny, sexy girls involved in the proceedings, establishing a clear trademark look for the series (newcomer Lila is a bit phony at the onset, but begins to make more sense as time goes by). The black humor remains at a constant high, with plot twists galore to keep you on the edge of your seat. Michael C. Hall's understated acting would be enough to carry the show, but I have to admit Erik King as his nemesis, Sgt. Doakes, is my favorite character (despite an illogical trip to Haiti, what were you thinking, man?!!!). Good show.